Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2011, 09:59   #16
Super Moderator

Re: St peters primary school 1948-58 or downham drive area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillySmith View Post
yes i did
Thought you might be his brother. I was in the same class as him all the way through St Peters, but not seen him since we left in 1962. What's he up to these days?
Old 14-12-2011, 17:54   #17

i was really pleased to see the photo of my class at st peters infants as i havnt got any myself..i hardly recognised myself,,, it prompted me to look through my photos and i found one outside our house in primrose st. just after the end of rationing,it was for a fancy dress held at st peters. the other one was taken at st christophers i played attack in the school netball team.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6510770517_880f0d487f_o.jpg (205.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 6510770773_e6eb9a0025_o.jpg (466.1 KB, 33 views)
annerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 15:17   #18
Full Member+

Hi Bill,
Sorry to late on the scene but I have just been reading about St Peter's I was in the year below you but i remember you well enough. I have posted a photo on My Galleries of the class I was in the names, as best I can remember them are
Back row: Beverley Dewhurst, jenny (or Agnes) Dodds, Diane Walsh, Sylvia Lever, Jean Bateman, Maureen Roscow, Pauline Yates, Agnes (or Jenny) Dodds, ?, Jaquline Glass.
Next row: Roy Hargeaves, Mog Stevenson, Teddy Walker, Billy Bridges, John Drinkwater, Brian Hall, Martin Shepherd, Billy Greenwood, Patrick Varley, Tony Barnes, Terry Simmons.
Next row: Linda Fielding, ?, Irene Smithies, Catherine Furness, Sheila Clough, June Symonds, Ena Bradshaw, Marion Ormroid, Maureen Ownes, Valerie Heys Jean Rimington, Jean Dowling.
Front row: David Cairns, David Liggins, Pete Crook(me), Harold Radley.
My apologises to those whose names I cannot remember.
I think the photo was taken in 1954 or 5 I think that it is almost the entire class although David Hodgkinson is not on it and he was in the same class as me.
Sadly to my knowledge Roy, Patrick and Harold are no longer with us.

Pete
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47   #19
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
Hi Bill,
Sorry to late on the scene but I have just been reading about St Peter's I was in the year below you but i remember you well enough. I have posted a photo on My Galleries of the class I was in the names, as best I can remember them are
Back row: Beverley Dewhurst, jenny (or Agnes) Dodds, Diane Walsh, Sylvia Lever, Jean Bateman, Maureen Roscow, Pauline Yates, Agnes (or Jenny) Dodds, ?, Jaquline Glass.
Next row: Roy Hargeaves, Mog Stevenson, Teddy Walker, Billy Bridges, John Drinkwater, Brian Hall, Martin Shepherd, Billy Greenwood, Patrick Varley, Tony Barnes, Terry Simmons.
Next row: Linda Fielding, ?, Irene Smithies, Catherine Furness, Sheila Clough, June Symonds, Ena Bradshaw, Marion Ormroid, Maureen Ownes, Valerie Heys Jean Rimington, Jean Dowling.
Front row: David Cairns, David Liggins, Pete Crook(me), Harold Radley.
My apologises to those whose names I cannot remember.
I think the photo was taken in 1954 or 5 I think that it is almost the entire class although David Hodgkinson is not on it and he was in the same class as me.
Sadly to my knowledge Roy, Patrick and Harold are no longer with us.

Pete
Hello Pete. Remember bumping into you in the Royal Pub on Blackburn road whilst you were having breakfast. I was stopping there for a couple of days visiting. Nice to know you are on here mate. Must be about 15 years ago or maybe more. Where is the photo.

Last edited by Mog; 06-12-2012 at 05:50. Reason: Left out a line.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07   #20
Full Member+

Hi Mog,
The photo is in the Galleries, if you click on the most recent I think that it is the St. Peter's photo.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:58   #21
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
Hi Mog,
The photo is in the Galleries, if you click on the most recent I think that it is the St. Peter's photo.
Yes got it Pete. So many faces that I remember. Your right about David he lived on Ranger St just below Malcolm Taylor. He ended up a good snooker player. Dont know what happened when we wetre kids. All of a sudden he went from being like the rest of us. Poor, to having loads of money. We thought his old man was a gangster at the time. Daft kids. I know Roy and Pat passed away but didnt know about Harold. Strange this. I was in Accy a couple of weeks ago. Drinking in the Broadway. was talking to a bloke who told me he was married to Jean Dowling. Small world.
Old 06-12-2012, 17:27   #22
Mog

St Peters Cubs Swimmers and Huncoat Colliery First Aiders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs.jpg (4.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Pit.jpg (5.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-12-2012, 18:21   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Yes got it Pete. So many faces that I remember. Your right about David he lived on Ranger St just below Malcolm Taylor. He ended up a good snooker player. Dont know what happened when we wetre kids. All of a sudden he went from being like the rest of us. Poor, to having loads of money. We thought his old man was a gangster at the time. Daft kids. I know Roy and Pat passed away but didnt know about Harold. Strange this. I was in Accy a couple of weeks ago. Drinking in the Broadway. was talking to a bloke who told me he was married to Jean Dowling. Small world.
Jean sat next to me at junior school, lived on our street at the time, were still mates after all these years.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29   #24
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Jean sat next to me at junior school, lived on our street at the time, were still mates after all these years.
Last time I saw Jean I was 17 me and Bob Burnside walked Jean and her mate Home. Had a kiss and a cuddle with Jean. Never seen her since.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:00   #25
Full Member+

I went to St Peter's right before ie was tore down
moved us to St James then the Grammer school.
then it was off to St Christophher's.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerock View Post
hi anne coaker hear.. i remember going to the odeon on sat morning with denis entwistle alan moon and my best friend heather loveluck where are they all now we all went to st christophers after st peters and spent many a happy hour on a sat night rockin and a rolling at the accy concervative club with margaret barnes and kathleen mercer
We come along on saturday morning greeting everybody with a smile,we come along on saturday morning knowing it,s all worthwhile.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:03   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassy rvr View Post

We come along on saturday morning greeting everybody with a smile,we come along on saturday morning knowing it,s all worthwhile.
...as members of the Odeon Club, we all intend to be
good teddyboys when we grow up..."
Well that's the version we used to sing when we went in the 50's!
Old 12-12-2012, 13:20   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...as members of the Odeon Club, we all intend to be
good teddyboys when we grow up..."
Well that's the version we used to sing when we went in the 50's!
True n i did keep me word.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 14-12-2012, 08:22   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Anne,I remember all of the guys you mentioned. I was at St Christophers as well. I knocked about with Dennis for a while. I also used the Con club as well as Spring Hill and the Arcs. People used to know me as Maurice Stevenson then. I spent loads of time up the Con with my mate Bob Burnside. Courted Maureen Wallace for a while in 63 and remember the Rocking Vicars with Lemmy. And Willie Hart jiving.
Me too coming late to this thread;
Willie Hart still jiving, saw him out with his son in the Forts a couple of weeks ago, though he is normally to be found in the insalubrious Royal on Sparth Road.
Denis Entwistle is alive and well living in Clayton and can be found most Sat/Sun afternoons propping up the bar in the Greyhound with Dave Roberts. They both still like their old bikes Dave having imported a classic from India a few years ago. Will share this post with Den’
Bob Burnside.. went to Butlin’s Filey with him and Gerald Moore in 1963, year of the sinking of the Thresher and the big floods in Accrington/Baxenden.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:05   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Me too coming late to this thread;
Willie Hart still jiving, saw him out with his son in the Forts a couple of weeks ago, though he is normally to be found in the insalubrious Royal on Sparth Road.
Denis Entwistle is alive and well living in Clayton and can be found most Sat/Sun afternoons propping up the bar in the Greyhound with Dave Roberts. They both still like their old bikes Dave having imported a classic from India a few years ago. Will share this post with Den’
Bob Burnside.. went to Butlin’s Filey with him and Gerald Moore in 1963, year of the sinking of the Thresher and the big floods in Accrington/Baxenden.
Good to hear Willies still batting, aint seen him fer 18 months or so,Would that be the Gerald Moore who's Mam n Dad had the Australian? used to play football wi him on broadway car park.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..