Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2010, 17:43   #1

The Makin Family

Hi, I'm trying to find Ken and Doreen Makin, They have two daughters, Elaine and Julie, I know that they lived in the Accrington area in the early 80's. Can anyone help?
susan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2010, 18:10   #2
JCB

Re: The Makin Family

Quite a number of Makins were dispersed around Hyndburn .

Have you an idea of their exact locality ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 00:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan29 View Post
Hi, I'm trying to find Ken and Doreen Makin, They have two daughters, Elaine and Julie, I know that they lived in the Accrington area in the early 80's. Can anyone help?

Dont know if its any realation may be a long shot but there is a craig makin in altham who owns CM Electrical he is in yellow pages and you will see his silver van knocking around
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 12:47   #4
Senior Member+

the Makin,s i know lived around the laneside area
in the sixties would you know if they were related
could help you if the answer is yes

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 19:59   #5
Junior Member+

They lived near the top of Royds Street (the one that is really steep?), near Woodley Avenue from at least the 1970s, maybe 1960s? They were still there in the late 1980s.

Ken was a foreman for a local textile mill, probably would have retired in the 90s. Can't remember what Doreen did.
LenWeekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 20:13   #6
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the Makin,s i know lived around the laneside area
in the sixties would you know if they were related
could help you if the answer is yes
Hi Beechy,

Which area is the laneside area? My memory fades, not been in Accrington since the 80s.
Old 30-12-2010, 21:10   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Laneside len is up Whalley Rd past Accy Vic, do a right just past the owd Malboro club onto Ribblesdale Ave that takes ya into the heart of the laneside estate.
Old 30-12-2010, 21:46   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Laneside len is up Whalley Rd past Accy Vic, do a right just past the owd Malboro club onto Ribblesdale Ave that takes ya into the heart of the laneside estate.
Thanks Cashman, google mapped it and it's the other end of the town, so probably a different family.

Trying to think of things that might jog peoples' memories. Note that it is Susan that wants to find an old friend, not me I'm just old

Their daughter Julie was married for awhile and took the surname Weekes so became Julie Weekes, she may have kept that surname unless she married someone later with a better surname and more money, although the latter is highly unlikely.

She had a friend when she was a teenager called Mary, she was Irish and probably still is, she lived on Pickup Street in Clayton Le Moors. This was 1976. I can still remember the red hair. Can't remember Mary's surname which is a shame, she might still be around the accy area.

If I can think of anything else I will post it.
Old 30-12-2010, 23:01   #9
God Member

I know a Mary (who was and probably still is Irish from that area lol). Will ask her next time I see her if she can help
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03   #10

I used to live next door to Doreen and Ken Makin just off the top of Royds Street. Doreen has sadly passed away but Ken is still about. I think Elaine lives locally as well. I will PM you Ken's address.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..