Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 15:34   #1
Senior Member+

The Street Family

On another website, a lady in Australia is asking about (her) Street family of Accrington. I want to tell her about a janitor we had at Accrington Grammar School in the 50s - Mr Street. We called him Billy but I think he was called Arthur.He was a little fat chap, a delightful, cheerful man, ever ready to joke with the lads. If you can tell me anything about him, even such as wehere did he lives, I would be grateful. He may well still be aliave, or at least have family, still around.
The lady has relatives in Accrington but is not in touch with them. They are Ashworths, and one of them, David, now 68/69, was co-owner of the Elite Snooker Club. Any knowledge of him?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2010, 22:01   #2

Re: The Street Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
On another website, a lady in Australia is asking about (her) Street family of Accrington. I want to tell her about a janitor we had at Accrington Grammar School in the 50s - Mr Street. We called him Billy but I think he was called Arthur.He was a little fat chap, a delightful, cheerful man, ever ready to joke with the lads. If you can tell me anything about him, even such as wehere did he lives, I would be grateful. He may well still be aliave, or at least have family, still around.
The lady has relatives in Accrington but is not in touch with them. They are Ashworths, and one of them, David, now 68/69, was co-owner of the Elite Snooker Club. Any knowledge of him?
Elite snooker has now gone NLTG bought the place .
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:03   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Presume he was Co-Owner when Elite was oer Redmans Bob?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00   #4
Senior Member+

I don't know that. He was owner along with his sister and brother in law.
I used to cue for corned beef at Redman's.
I remember the first time I had corned beef. My grandma said. " Ah've getten thi some corned beef fer thi tay, cock." I said, "Is it Fra Bentos?" She said, Now, it's fra' Redman's"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 14:21   #5

I think I remember this person back in the late 70's early 80's when the Elite Snooker club used to be at the end of Hyndburn road at the old Ambulance Hall, but I cannot recall where they went to when they left, sorry.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:43   #6

I think if it is the same Arthur Street I knew he lived in a bungalow on Arncliffe Avenue he and his wife are now dead but their Grand Daughter and her children live in the bungalow as he left it to her eldest Daughter who is still too young to live alone in it yet. She has family on Avenue Parade in Accrington too.
kelsilou is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..