Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2010, 20:48   #1
Senior Member+

W(illiam?) Croasdale of Church

I have a cartoon drawn after a cricket match in June 1926 when Church played Accrington. It was drawn by W Craosdale, who may have been the william(?) Croasdale who lived in Dill Hall Lane, then called Cemetery Rd, Church. He may have been buried in Dill Hall cemetery in 1944.
Does anybody know anything about him ? I suspect he was a Church supporter but would like to know more about his cartooning. A cartoon printed in the Observer after this match was not by him.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2010, 22:16   #2
God Member

Re: W(illiam?) Croasdale of Church

just out of interest, Bob, why would Dill Hall Lane then have been called Cemetary Rd? I know that the graveyard was planned and laid out in the 19C, but I would have assumesd that the name 'Dill Hall' would suggest a more historicak significance.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:26   #3
Senior Member+

It would be called Cemetery Rd because it led up to the cemetery at the corner of Queens Rd. I imagine that some would think this was not a nice name and got it changed to Dill Hall, which was a substantial farm house close to where the petrol station at the bottom end of the road is.
Old 17-03-2010, 20:32   #4

Hi Bob

Wonder if some relation Janet Croadsdale (Gaines). Still keep in touch with her.
littlepom x
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 19:23   #5
Senior Member+

I have read the Observer report on this match. Vic Norbury, the Church pro. was not the highest scorer. The cartoon is not the one which appeared in the paper, which was drawn by someone who may have been called Holden ( difficult to read) Does anyone know owt about Mr Holden?
Old 21-03-2010, 14:10   #6
Senior Member+

A check on the names of the players in this derby game revealed that W Croasdale played with Vic Norbury in the Church team. No wonder he appeared biased toward Church. Norbury was described as one of the best cricketers never to have played for England. He was certainly good enough. Church had to release him at the end of his second season on financial grounds. He went to play for Blackpool as an amateur, though it is highly likely that he got some back-pocket payments from the wealthy Sir Lindsay Parkinson, president of Blackpool C.C.
Old 23-05-2012, 22:22   #7

I know some one with Croasdale conections I ll ask
Below is her (Pats) conection to the Croasdale's, distant cousin of mine.
Ellen Lewis born 1891 died 1964. Married 1912 to Harry Croasdale.
(Pat is grandaughter of Harry)
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:14   #8
Senior Member+

As I posted this over 2 yrs ago, my recollectionb is slight. However, I think I bottomed it and contacted a descendant, who was not all that interested.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..