Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22   #16
Super Moderator

Re: WHITTAKER OR LIVESEYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
There was a Mrs Whittaker ran a corner shop at the top of either Paxton or Buxton St in the 1960's.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one at the top of Ranger Street, which was run by a lady called Eunice Whittaker?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one at the top of Ranger Street, which was run by a lady called Eunice Whittaker?
I think your right it was Ranger St
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:03   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I think your right it was Ranger St
More I think about, the more I think that this was the one. You walked through the door into a corridor then, as you say, turned left into the shop. They always had a great selection of sweets!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52   #19

Quote:
More I think about, the more I think that this was the one. You walked through the door into a corridor then, as you say, turned left into the shop. They always had a great selection of sweets!
Not just sweets as I recall, the whole shop was stacked with just about everything.There was a small space on the counter to put goods you were buying but everyother bit of space was full of things. I seem to remember a black csat that stalked the shop and gell asleep on the tins sometimes
Old 11-05-2008, 22:06   #20
Super Moderator

Yep, I remember the cat too.

However, king (or possibly queen) of Accy cornershop cats was the one owned by Pennock's (corner of Richmond St and Higher Antley St - did fantastic homemade iced lollies). This magnificent beast was huge and at one time was in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest cat in the world.

Thread wander?...moi?
Old 13-05-2008, 13:36   #21

Quote:
Yep, I remember the cat too.

However, king (or possibly queen) of Accy cornershop cats was the one owned by Pennock's (corner of Richmond St and Higher Antley St - did fantastic homemade iced lollies). This magnificent beast was huge and at one time was in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest cat in the world.

Thread wander?...moi?
More thread wander

I vaguely remember that cat and the lollies, but most of all I remember that this shop (Top Shop from where I lived) gave free sweetes to children who went the errands there. They would probably get arrested for that now , well they would if there were any corner shops and if shildren were allowed to 'run errands'
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39   #22
Junior Member+

There was a family called Livesey who lived on Avenue Parade. Their daughter Jennie was married to Cyril Whittaker, the hairdresser whose shop was at the bottom of Burnley Road. Jennie and Cyril's daughter lived in Kent - her name was Sheila.

Last edited by Mick; 03-09-2011 at 05:53.
pashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26   #23
Resting in Peace

Re: WHITTAKER OR LIVESEY'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashley View Post
There was a family called Livesey who lived on Avenue Parade. Their daughter Jennie was married to Cyril Whittaker, the hairdresser whose shop was at the bottom of Burnley Road. Jennie and Cyril's daughter lived in Kent - her name was Sheila.
Have you noticed the thread was started in 2004 and the thread starter is banned
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33   #24
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Have you noticed the thread was started in 2004 and the thread starter is banned
Aye , and there were Whittakers who had a confectioners on Willows Lane at the corner of Claret St , and my grandfather had a brother on Catlow Hall St called Whittaker , but that was his Christian name .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 13:38   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Aye , and there were Whittakers who had a confectioners on Willows Lane at the corner of Claret St , and my grandfather had a brother on Catlow Hall St called Whittaker , but that was his Christian name .
Exactly
Old 03-09-2011, 21:07   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Aye , and there were Whittakers who had a confectioners on Willows Lane at the corner of Claret St
...and they did cracking steak & kidney puddings!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:56   #27
Senior Member+

This is the first time I have seen this thread. It was never going to get anywhere because of lack of information posted buy the starter. The names are so common that some narrowing down needs to be done, and that could have been achieved by supplying more detail - names, addresses, schools, workplaces, years. I suggest that the
thread be re-started.

Cyril Whittaker's daughter appeals for information about her dad on the website 'Curious Fox', which is worth a look at. It can be seartched using places or surnames.It is cheap to join but can be used for nowt.

There was another Whitaker family living next door to the off-licence near the Boar's Head - Frank & Alan were the sons in the 1950s. A Janice Whittaker lived across the road from them. She married George Plumpton.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30   #28
Resting in Peace

We have a member on here with that surname, Councillor Whittaker
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37   #29

all the whittaker family i am related too came from oswaldtwistle my grandma and grandad lived in trinity street
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19   #30
Senior Member+

I have just spotted that Fur Baby, who started this thread off, has been banned by the moderators.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..