Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 21:48   #1
I am Banned

WW1 Soldiers.

I've been assisting one of the Accy Webbers,
into research on two Greater Accrington soldiers,
who emigrated to Canada in the 1920's.
Benjamin W. Cotter who lived in Mount Pleasant St,
Oswaldtwistle, and his mate William (Billy) Hougton, who lived in Trinity St, Oswaldtwistle.

Benjamin returned from Canada in 1934, but what happened to Billy is not known.
Does any one know if any of Billy Houghtons relatives still live in the area.
I've check the telephone book and there are one or two possibles.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: WW1 Soldiers.

Hi Retlaw, how close a relative are you looking for? I checked his immediate family and it doesn,t look like any of them had children. His brother Albert born 1891, his sister Betsy Ann born 1888 and his brother Harry who died in infancy. I also checked records for him in Quebec but came up blank. As you know he came to Canada on the "Montcalm" 30-April-1927 with Benjamin Cotter who was followed on the ship "Montnairn" by his wife and daughter on 18-May-1928. The three Cotters returning to Liverpool on the "Montrose" 1934, destination 74 Monk St Accrington. William,s parents married at Oswaldtwistle Immanuel in 1888 so I checked there and found a William Houghton married Ada Harris in 1938 but the marriage licence would have to be checked to confirm which William Houghton it is. I could go back further and check for distant cousins if you like? Let me know, Bryan.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:01   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Hi Retlaw, how close a relative are you looking for? I checked his immediate family and it doesn,t look like any of them had children. His brother Albert born 1891, his sister Betsy Ann born 1888 and his brother Harry who died in infancy. I also checked records for him in Quebec but came up blank. As you know he came to Canada on the "Montcalm" 30-April-1927 with Benjamin Cotter who was followed on the ship "Montnairn" by his wife and daughter on 18-May-1928. The three Cotters returning to Liverpool on the "Montrose" 1934, destination 74 Monk St Accrington. William,s parents married at Oswaldtwistle Immanuel in 1888 so I checked there and found a William Houghton married Ada Harris in 1938 but the marriage licence would have to be checked to confirm which William Houghton it is. I could go back further and check for distant cousins if you like? Let me know, Bryan.
Many thanks for that info Bryan.
I will pass it on to the original enquirer, and let you know.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-02-2010 at 14:11.
Old 11-02-2010, 21:10   #4

Quote:
Thanks both. There's some extra information in there that I wasn't aware of such as Billy Houghton's siblings who died in infancy, and place of marriage for his parents.

My interest is based on the attached photo which shows Ben Cotter (left) and Billy Houghton (right). We've plenty of information on Ben who was my wife's grandfather, including his various Atlantic crossings. However, I don't know a lot about Billy and I'd like to know what became of him.

As you say, he travelled to Canada with Ben in 1927. We know Ben's wife and daughter travelled the following year. As far as we know, all had the intention of staying in Canada, though the Cotters all returned home in 1934.

Billy married Annie Oswald in 1920 and she travelled to Canada in June 1930, also listed as an immigrant on the incoming passenger list. However, she returned to England in August 1930.

We're stuck after this, though there is a William Houghton listed coming into Liverpool on 3 June 1933. This one is a carpenter (as was the Billy we know) but his age is one or two years too high. He was heading for "Lilymead", Station Road, Southport. Apart from that, I've found no sign of Billy or his wife crossing the Atlantic again.

Ideally, I'd like to make contact with Billy's descendants (if any) to find what became of him and to pass on the photo. I'd also like to see one of him in his WW1 uniform. Incidentally, during WW1 he was with 3rd Liverpool, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and Durham Light Infantry.

Any input gratefully received. And thanks again for what you've done so far.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ben_n_bill.jpg (177.4 KB, 24 views)
earthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 21:15   #5

By the way, I meant to say, the photo shows Ben Cotter and Billy Houghton at work (well, resting) on the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1927.
Old 11-02-2010, 21:41   #6

Is this the marriage you referred to:

Marriage: 4 Feb 1888 Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, England
William Henry Houghton - 23 Weaver bachelor of 126 New Lane
Elizabeth Trippier - 22 spinster of 22 Walter Street
Groom's Father: Edward Houghton, Sh*** Keeper
Bride's Father: Robert Trippier, Overlooker
Witness: John Houghton; Alice Jane Trippier
Married by banns by: Boulby Haslewood Vicar
Register: Marriages 1887 - 1898, Page 11, Entry 21
Source: LDS Film 1470816

From Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project

I've not heard the name Trippier before.

Alan
Old 11-02-2010, 22:31   #7
Senior Member+

Yes, Earthdog, that is the marriage entry, I,m pretty sure that is your William. That,s a brilliant photo of Billy and Ben. I,ll give it another coat of looking now I have some more info. Get back to you soon. Bryan.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog View Post

We're stuck after this, though there is a William Houghton listed coming into Liverpool on 3 June 1933. This one is a carpenter (as was the Billy we know) but his age is one or two years too high.
Having said that, I looked at his service record again and he was apparently 21 years and 6 months in December 1915. So he could just have been 40 by June 1933. Perhaps it is him?

Thanks for your offer of further help Bryan, much appreciated.

Alan
Old 12-02-2010, 06:40   #9

Quote:
Yes, Earthdog, that is the marriage entry, I,m pretty sure that is your William.
It certainly ties in with all we know of Billy, I already had those names for his parents (except Elizabeth's surname) and she was born around 1866. I wish more counties had parish records online, it's a great help.
Old 23-01-2016, 10:27   #10

My grandad was in Gloucester Regt... Lewis Andrew Jackson. Died aged 92 in 1989. RIP grandad.....we used to call him Stonewall....he sas a real character and loved telling us stories about his exploits as a young man.......
Old 23-01-2016, 13:37   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
My grandad was in Gloucester Regt... Lewis Andrew Jackson. Died aged 92 in 1989. RIP grandad.....we used to call him Stonewall....he sas a real character and loved telling us stories about his exploits as a young man.......
I have a Lewis A. Jackson in my files. The information in the Absent Voters list for him is wrong, it lists him as Pte. 9277 K.O.Y.L.I. at 119 Roe Greave Rd, Oss. There a dozens of such errors in th AVL-18.
That number in the AVL-18 was issued to a Fred Schofield.

Lewis served as Pte. G5622 in the R.W.K. He is on the Holy Trinity R-O-H, and on the Immanuel Church R-O-H. I have never been able to find any surviving military records for him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..