Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted
Donate! Join Today

Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted If you've got owt to sell stick it in 'ere.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2007, 11:25   #1
God Member

Wanted - 60 minute timer

Every few hours I get an overwhelming urge to sleep. I suspect I have narcolepsy, a sleep disorder which is incurable but controllable.
Where I live is so quiet that my daytime naps often last several hours.
I have websearched the problem and am proposing to limit my naps to between 30 and 60 minutes at a time. This should be sufficient to prevent me falling asleep at inappropriate times but stop me from 'sleeping my life away'.
I have a bedside radio alarm clock but it is fiddly to set, especially when I am struggling to keep my eyes open. I think that the answer to my needs would be a 60 minute kitchen timer. If you have one which you dont use and wouldnt miss please get in touch.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2007, 11:27   #2

Re: Wanted - 60 minute timer

sorry - but if you want a computer timer try searching for cool timer or even set a timer on your phone if you have one or on your tv if you have the option
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 11:31   #3

why dont you go for a health check, lots of disorders cause tiredness,i.e thyroid problems, anaemia.
broadhurst7173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 11:41   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhurst7173 View Post
why dont you go for a health check, lots of disorders cause tiredness,i.e thyroid problems, anaemia.
Thanks for your concern. I do not want to admit this problem to the doc because it will result in DVLC monitoring my driving licence at regular intervals. I am sensible about my driving limitations and always use the bus for trips of more than a few miles. I need my car to get to the bus stop and for visits to doc, dentist, chiropodist etc.
My doc runs a well woman clinic where I can ask for the health checks without revealing my problem, so will do that.
I suspect that this problem is inherited from my mother who did not have daytime naps until her old age but used to 'pass out' when under stress.(cataplexy- an extreme version of the same disorder)

Old 16-07-2007, 11:56   #5
God Member

Margaret, whilst I understand your initial concern at DVLA possibly imposing controls, surely the impassionate response would be that they do this for a very good reason. To say that you self-manage sounds fine but in reality is a recipie for disaster.

You clearly need to get this sorted without consideration of what knock on effect this has. Who knows when your condition might turn into that of your mothers? Just how would you feel if you passed out whilst driving and killed/seriously hurt someone? Could you live with that guilt, I know I couldn't.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 12:07   #6
God Member

Wikipedia definition does not indicate that driving should be given up altogether and since it affects 1 in 2000 people (undiagnosed) it would not be practical to ban them.It suggests control:-

"Take several short daily naps (10-15 minutes) to combat excessive sleepiness and sleep attacks.
Develop a routine sleep schedule – try to go to sleep and awaken at the same time every day.
Alert your employers, coworkers and friends in the hope that others will accommodate your condition and help when needed.
Do not drive or operate dangerous equipment if you are sleepy. Take a nap before driving if possible. Consider taking a break for a nap during a long driving trip.
Join a support group.
Break up larger tasks into small pieces and focusing on one small thing at a time."

That is why I need the timer

Old 16-07-2007, 12:10   #7
mez
God Member

margaret ...have you got a mobile phone ..it will have an alarm clock on it, although i do have to agree with enti on this subject.
Old 16-07-2007, 12:48   #8
God Member

OK folks - will own up to doc

Old 16-07-2007, 12:50   #9

honesty is the best thing in life
Old 16-07-2007, 12:52   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjdallen View Post
honesty is the best thing in life
I wish all men lived by that principle

Old 16-07-2007, 12:53   #11

well i do and proud of it - may be thats why im in a relationship that has lasted over 3years so far. lets hope it continues. no lies in our lives.
Old 16-07-2007, 17:35   #12
Beacon of light

You could also be diabetic...this causes tiredness......and type 2 diabetes doesn not necessarily have many other symptoms.......so a health check would be wise....also Margaret, Home and bargain have 60 minute kitchen timers for about 70 pence....that is, for once you have had the medical checks
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 18:29   #13
God Member

Thanks for your response Margaret
I had a negative diabetes test less than a year ago. I wish I had waited for your post before buying one on ebay within 1 minute of your posting - paid £4.50 incl postage (but it is a 'posh' s/steel one)

Old 16-07-2007, 18:41   #14
Resident Waffler

Glad to hear you plan to get the health check Margaret. A friend of ours has a similar problem but insisted he could manage driving and never nodded off whilst driving - until the day he did and crashed the car on a bend in a narrow road, smashed through someones garden wall, overturned and just stopped short of falling down a ravine. He had no idea what happened but realised he had probably dozed off again. He was very lucky. He no longer drives and yes it must be inconvenient but inconvenient is better than seriously injured or dead.

I have a tendency to fall asleep at cinemas sometimes or in church (which can be very embarrassing) but I haven't driven for years.

I hope that there is something that can be done about it for you.

I used my mobile phone to wake me up if I happen to nod off for a bit in the afternoon.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..