Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would do if you took the 11 plus?
6 - 8 Grammar School 32 82.05%
3 - 5 Secondary Modern School 6 15.38%
0 - 2 Technical School 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 00:48   #46
God Member

Re: 11 Plus

One of the most aggressive girls I have ever known went to clitheroe grammar school (and got kicked out for violence against another pupil).

I know a lad a bit older than me who was educated at boarding school too and he was kicked out for punching a teacher in the face.

I'll stick to my rubbish schools, they haven't done badly for me
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2008, 00:50   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and let's not even get on to MENSA.

Some of the people I know with a supposedly high IQ, have the social skills of turnips.
aah.... is that because they naturally have poor social skills or because they have been kept cooped up as children and kept away from their peers becasue they are 'talented, gifted and able' ??

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 00:52   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
aah.... is that because they naturally have poor social skills or because they have been kept cooped up as children and kept away from their peers becasue they are 'talented, gifted and able' ??
Good question.

I recently watched a programme about 'gifted' children.

It was hard to say who was the most freakish, the parents, or the little monsters they had spawned.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 00:54   #49
God Member

IQ is only a test of logical ability isn't it, not intelligence?

I had the highest level of logical ability in my school year along with a boy who got the same score, we were predicted all A's.

His parents kept him in all the time studying, and indeed he got A's and a B or two. I got B's and C's. We're both doing excellent degree's regardless IQ might look good, but it doesnt really get you anywhere if it isn't nurtured.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:00   #50
Give, give, give member

I find that people with a highly developed logic are artistically retarded.

A vast generalisation, but usually true.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:04   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:

carrying on with the generalisation...... autistic children are generally good at art...

no autistic/artistic jokes please!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:11   #52
God Member

Quote:

Presumably that's because of the two different sides of the brain and how we don't tend to use both sides?

I've always been an all rounder, my creative side more with music than art though. By the time I left school I'd let a lot of people down but now they're all happy again. Jolly good.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I did it the old fashioned way.

Two thirds of 834 – divide by 3 and multiply by 2 =556
23 times 185 = 4255
4255 – 556 = 3689

But as you have highlighted. It wasn’t the 11+ itself but the way that the allocations were made.
You sure about that
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44   #54
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
You sure about that
Ooooops! Typo

Old 01-07-2008, 04:17   #55
God Member

I used to love maths until my GCSE years of high school when we had a different teacher, and she completely sucked the love for the subject out of me.

Are you allowed to write anything in 11+ exams or is it all mental? I must say that I just guessed at that answer, and only got it wrong because my mouse was sticking and wouldn't let me select the top answer
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I used to love maths until my GCSE years of high school when we had a different teacher, and she completely sucked the love for the subject out of me.
Urgh. Mrs Cook. She could write a book on now to turn a A-grade top set class into underachievers!

Quote:
I don't understand how people got the brush one wrong, but then I guess thattats because my reasoning is obviously different than theres.
Theres? We were taught better than that love!

Last edited by shakermaker; 01-07-2008 at 08:17.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:38   #57
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hey i got 7/8...not bad for me....
Old 01-07-2008, 11:07   #58

Secondary modern again for me. Never was too good at maths lol
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 19:23   #59
God Member

Quote:
IQ is only a test of logical ability isn't it, not intelligence?

I had the highest level of logical ability in my school year along with a boy who got the same score, we were predicted all A's.

His parents kept him in all the time studying, and indeed he got A's and a B or two. I got B's and C's. We're both doing excellent degree's regardless IQ might look good, but it doesnt really get you anywhere if it isn't nurtured.
I heard that when you left Accy for Lancaster, the average IQ of both communities jumped 10 points
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 20:16   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I heard that when you left Accy for Lancaster, the average IQ of both communities jumped 10 points
Yes Accy's jumped down and Lancaster's jumped up.

And yes Shakermaker, I apologise for my terrible use of the English language there, I really must stop posting when exhausted, I've noticed I do these things a lot when I am getting tired!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..