Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   By-election in Gt Harwood (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/by-election-in-gt-harwood-11396.html)

Graham Jones 24-05-2005 05:29

By-election in Gt Harwood

Wyn Frankland has just resigned as a Councillor and there will be a by-election in Overton on 30th June.

and... Jean Battle has just resigned as Labour Leader in Hyndburn due to County Council/Labour Party rules on cabinet members not holding another senior position elsewhere.

Acrylic-bob 24-05-2005 06:22

Re: By-election in Gt Harwood

So HBC will have to organise two more elections, more taxpayers money down the plughole. Thanks New Labour, as if we weren't already up to our ears in it!

Aquarius 24-05-2005 15:18

Not having lived in Great harwood for long can someone please tell me which area is Overton.

Graham Jones 24-05-2005 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
So HBC will have to organise two more elections, more taxpayers money down the plughole. Thanks New Labour, as if we weren't already up to our ears in it!

Cant agree Bob. It was a Tory who resigned and Labour cant be blamed for that. And the Labour Leadership is an in house affair with a budget of none!

Tealeaf 24-05-2005 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Ooops A-B...just one election, surely? The leader of the labour group on HBC is elected by the labour group, not by the voters. However, surely the circumstances surrounding this conflict of interest should have been brought to the publics attention before the elections at the beginning of May? So it is either a Labour Group cock-up of some sort or a conspiracy.

Acrylic-bob 24-05-2005 17:01

It appears that I have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick here. My unreserved apologies to all and my thanks to Tealeaf and Graham for pointing out the error.

Still, it's a bit rum don't you think.

park381 24-05-2005 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Ooops A-B...just one election, surely? The leader of the labour group on HBC is elected by the labour group, not by the voters. However, surely the circumstances surrounding this conflict of interest should have been brought to the publics attention before the elections at the beginning of May? So it is either a Labour Group cock-up of some sort or a conspiracy.

I would have thought that Jean Battle should have known about that, and others in the labour party

Graham Jones 24-05-2005 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381
I would have thought that Jean Battle should have known about that, and others in the labour party

It was unknown who would win over all control at County Hall, and moreover if Labour retained control would there be a reshuffle due to losing candidates etc.. Hazel Harding the Leader only got in by 45 I believe.

Jean was offered a County Council cabinet position [only after the result was known of course] and Labour Party rules forbid holding two high offices on two councils. So she had no option in taking a cabinet position at County to resign at Hyndburn.

Wyn Frankland in Gt Harwood is altogether different if the rumour mill is to believed.

park381 24-05-2005 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Wyn Frankland has just resigned as a Councillor and there will be a by-election in Overton on 30th June.

Well, well whats happened there, trouble in't camp, any more info Graham, or will all be revealed in this weeks Observer :)

park381 24-05-2005 17:13

Quote:

It was unknown who would win over all control at County Hall, and moreover if Labour retained control would there be a reshuffle due to losing candidates etc.. Hazel Harding the Leader only got in by 45 I believe.

Jean was offered a County Council cabinet position [only after the result was known of course] and Labour Party rules forbid holding two high offices on two councils. So she had no option in taking a cabinet position at County to resign at Hyndburn.

Fair do, to that Graham

Sparkologist 24-05-2005 17:52

Quote:

Wyn Frankland in Gt Harwood is altogether different if the rumour mill is to believed.

Ooo, go on Graham, do tell. We love a bit of gossip on here. :D

You could get yourself another alias, nom-de-plume, whatever you wish to call it, before revealing all. That way you could circumvent the slander, libel, gobbing-off laws before divulging the juicy goss' :rolleyes:

Bazf 24-05-2005 18:46

Isn't just the normal resuffle-jobs for the boys thing that happens after every election? you know the "if you do this and I get in I will make sure you get this job"

Graham Jones 24-05-2005 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Ooo, go on Graham, do tell. We love a bit of gossip on here. :D

You could get yourself another alias, nom-de-plume, whatever you wish to call it, before revealing all. That way you could circumvent the slander, libel, gobbing-off laws before divulging the juicy goss' :rolleyes:

Rumours suggest massive arguments in the Conservative camp. When Wyn wrote her letter, a council official was there within 10 minutes to collect it on behalf of Cllr Britcliffe. A lot of other rumours revolve around Wyn losing the County election after expecting to win, giving up all her roles and allowances back at Hyndburn.

After unexpectedly losing the County seat she tried to get back her paid allowance positions at Hyndburn but they had already been carved up to others. PB stuck the knife in, an almighty row erupted that split the party. Peter carried more supporters and Wyn resigned. ALLEGEDLY!!!!!!

Graham Jones 24-05-2005 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazf
Isn't just the normal resuffle-jobs for the boys thing that happens after every election? you know the "if you do this and I get in I will make sure you get this job"

I think thats a bit low. I never saw any of that going on.

lindsay ormerod 24-05-2005 22:37

Do you have a life outside local politics Graham? I very nearly stood for councillor and am now grateful that I didn't.I only ask because everything you post on here is politically motivated and people may get the wrong impression!:confused:

Bazf 24-05-2005 22:40

Quote:

I think thats a bit low. I never saw any of that going on.

Maybe they don't keep you in the loop :)

cashman 24-05-2005 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Do you have a life outside local politics Graham? I very nearly stood for councillor and am now grateful that I didn't.I only ask because everything you post on here is politically motivated and people may get the wrong impression!:confused:

i have been wondering the same thing for a while now,cos if you havent it will swallow you up mate,dont let that happen lifes to short.

park381 25-05-2005 06:36

Quote:

After unexpectedly losing the County seat she tried to get back her paid allowance positions at Hyndburn but they had already been carved up to others.

That makes it sound more like she was more interested in her income, than serving the people she was representing, excellent motivation for a Cllr.

Neil 25-05-2005 11:17

Quote:

That makes it sound more like she was more interested in her income, than serving the people she was representing, excellent motivation for a Cllr.

Just what I was thinking

Tealeaf 25-05-2005 13:19

It would appear that most of the comments (above) relating to the Tory councillor are in response to the passing on of heresay and rumour from Graham. Councillor Jones seems to be a practitioner in the dark art of political spin. Well done, mate; Ali Campbell and Mandy Mandelson would be proud of you! However, If it is regretably true, then it is indeed a sad indicment of contemporary local government politics.

Graham's excuse for the labour leader debacle seems no more than a confession of Labour ill-prepardness. Surely the options on who would be acquiring what portfolio would have been worked out prior to the election; as such, as Ms battle was a potential candidate for the County cabinet then the title of Hyndburn Labour leader should have been relinquished prior to the election campaign.

Graham Jones 25-05-2005 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
i have been wondering the same thing for a while now,cos if you havent it will swallow you up mate,dont let that happen lifes to short.

Accepted. I do other stuff than politics most of the time but I wouldn't want to bore you with my low golf handicap, love of football, this years ashes tour, gigs and bands I have seen this month, the latest indie stuff, arts and the like, where I am off to next and a whole host of private but interesting stuff. I have just contributed to a [non politcal] article for Londons Time Out magazine this week.

Tealeaf 25-05-2005 13:43

Quote:

I have just contributed to a [non politcal] article for Londons Time Out magazine this week.

Thats out today. Should I pop over the road and spend 2 quid on a copy or are you going to tell us what it's all about & I can spend my money on a pint?

park381 25-05-2005 14:29

Quote:

Accepted. I do other stuff than politics most of the time but I wouldn't want to bore you with my low golf handicap

Ah, where do you play your golf Graham

Sparkologist 25-05-2005 17:12

Quote:

...gigs and bands I have seen this month, the latest indie stuff...

now I am intrigued, have you seen anyone good. :)

Graham Jones 26-05-2005 12:41

Quote:

It would appear that most of the comments (above) relating to the Tory councillor are in response to the passing on of heresay and rumour from Graham. Councillor Jones seems to be a practitioner in the dark art of political spin. Well done, mate; Ali Campbell and Mandy Mandelson would be proud of you! However, If it is regretably true, then it is indeed a sad indicment of contemporary local government politics.

Graham's excuse for the labour leader debacle seems no more than a confession of Labour ill-prepardness. Surely the options on who would be acquiring what portfolio would have been worked out prior to the election; as such, as Ms battle was a potential candidate for the County cabinet then the title of Hyndburn Labour leader should have been relinquished prior to the election campaign.

Utter rubbish, grow up Tealeaf.

Graham Jones 26-05-2005 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkologist
now I am intrigued, have you seen anyone good. :)

Lots. Favourite three bands at the moment are The Paddingtons, Thee Unstrung and The Arctic Monkeys. With a bit of luck they might get some play in recently opened Attic. 'Under negotiation'.

Graham Jones 26-05-2005 12:45

Quote:

Ah, where do you play your golf Graham

Bash. Do you play?

Tealeaf 26-05-2005 12:53

Quote:

Lots. Favourite three bands at the moment are The Paddingtons, Thee Unstrung and The Arctic Monkeys. With a bit of luck they might get some play in recently opened Attic. 'Under negotiation'.

All utter rubbish. it is time you grew up, Councillor Jones, and started listening to some decent music instead of this juvenile clap-trap.

park381 26-05-2005 13:11

Quote:

Bash. Do you play?

A little Lol, been a member at G Haworth for years, you'll know Neil Eastwood then, and Rambo, two good golfing mates of mine. In fact am up there on Monday in the team event.

cashman 26-05-2005 14:35

Quote:

All utter rubbish. it is time you grew up, Councillor Jones, and started listening to some decent music instead of this juvenile clap-trap.

leave it out tealeaf, at least the guys shown he has a life!remember when i was young(just lol)my parents said exactly the same pmsl.

Tealeaf 26-05-2005 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
leave it out tealeaf, at least the guys shown he has a life!remember when i was young(just lol)my parents said exactly the same pmsl.

Why don't you read post #25? I had simply made several obversations. Firstly, that what was being discussed relating to the local Tory Party was in fact, just a rumour; secondly, that such rumours provide the basis for political spin; thirdly, that nevertheless if true, it is a sad day if people enter local politics as a means of lining their pockets.

I then turned to the Labour Party in Hyndburn and Lancashire and simply questioned their competance in not pre- informing the electorate of leadership changes at the borough level given the scenario of maintaining control at County.

For this, Councillor Jones responded "Utter rubbish, etc...."

That is not a response I would expect from an elected representative, although given that I have previously been accused of being a BNP member by him it is no surprise.

When it comes to calling our elected representatives to account, I care not what party they represent; I only care that they provide honest governance, spend our money wisely and provide efficient public services. In that respect, the vast bulk of my critisism has been directed at the Tories, and not Labour.

cashman 26-05-2005 15:49

had already read 25 was joking ie lol lighten up a bit.

Tealeaf 26-05-2005 16:03

Good job I did'nt mention Golf! :D

park381 26-05-2005 20:28

Quote:

Good job I did'nt mention Golf! :D

There's nothing wrong with a game of golf :D

Graham Jones 26-05-2005 20:38

Quote:

Why don't you read post #25? I had simply made several obversations. Firstly, that what was being discussed relating to the local Tory Party was in fact, just a rumour; secondly, that such rumours provide the basis for political spin; thirdly, that nevertheless if true, it is a sad day if people enter local politics as a means of lining their pockets.

I then turned to the Labour Party in Hyndburn and Lancashire and simply questioned their competance in not pre- informing the electorate of leadership changes at the borough level given the scenario of maintaining control at County.

That is not a response I would expect from an elected representative, although given that I have previously been accused of being a BNP member by him it is no surprise.

When it comes to calling our elected representatives to account, I care not what party they represent; I only care that they provide honest governance, spend our money wisely and provide efficient public services. In that respect, the vast bulk of my critisism has been directed at the Tories, and not Labour.

I think you should take it easy tealeaf. You have passed out the insults and no one is obliged to answer any of your points when you lack basic respect.

Tealeaf 27-05-2005 13:03

Quote:

I think you should take it easy tealeaf. ........you lack basic respect.

Oh dear, Councillor..............I suspect that, as at election time, you are simply regurgerating the codswallop churned out by your erstwhile comrades in the Party. Be it the last Queen's Speech or the Labour website (see below), the latest government buzzword to crop up is "Respect". I really don't know what is meant by this, other than a possible attempt to divert attention from Galloway and his slimeballs.

Could I respectfully, suggest, therefore that rather than spend precious time digesting the latest garbage from Party HQ, you spend it "chilling out", (as your hero boy bands may say) and get yourself a sense of humour. :D

Cheers

http://www.labour.org.uk/home

Bagpuss 27-05-2005 22:41

I'm hoping that Wyn Frankland will finally let us into the story about the £35,000 that may or may not have gone towards the globe centre or may or may not had something to do with a certain Mr Rix.

Graham Jones 28-05-2005 19:28

Quote:

You read the Observer story with particpants comments, you read my comments earlier in the week. They match pretty much accurately. I stand by what I said; You talk rubbish and you lack any basic respect for others. So as I said, grow up.

Graham Jones 28-05-2005 19:29

Quote:

Oh dear, Councillor..............I suspect that, as at election time, you are simply regurgerating the codswallop churned out by your erstwhile comrades in the Party. Be it the last Queen's Speech or the Labour website (see below), the latest government buzzword to crop up is "Respect". I really don't know what is meant by this, other than a possible attempt to divert attention from Galloway and his slimeballs.

Could I respectfully, suggest, therefore that rather than spend precious time digesting the latest garbage from Party HQ, you spend it "chilling out", (as your hero boy bands may say) and get yourself a sense of humour. :D

Cheers

http://www.labour.org.uk/home

ditto above: grow up and stop acting like an immature adult.

Tealeaf 31-05-2005 08:44

Quote:

ditto above: grow up and stop acting like an immature adult.

Is this third-rate insult the best that Councillor Jones can offer? No wonder tthere is no effective opposition to Britciffe and his muppets. Anyway, I can't be bothered with this thread anymore.