Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2005, 05:29   #1
I am Banned

By-election in Gt Harwood

Wyn Frankland has just resigned as a Councillor and there will be a by-election in Overton on 30th June.

and... Jean Battle has just resigned as Labour Leader in Hyndburn due to County Council/Labour Party rules on cabinet members not holding another senior position elsewhere.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2005, 06:22   #2
God Member

Re: By-election in Gt Harwood

So HBC will have to organise two more elections, more taxpayers money down the plughole. Thanks New Labour, as if we weren't already up to our ears in it!
Old 24-05-2005, 15:18   #3

Not having lived in Great harwood for long can someone please tell me which area is Overton.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 16:20   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
So HBC will have to organise two more elections, more taxpayers money down the plughole. Thanks New Labour, as if we weren't already up to our ears in it!
Cant agree Bob. It was a Tory who resigned and Labour cant be blamed for that. And the Labour Leadership is an in house affair with a budget of none!
Old 24-05-2005, 16:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Ooops A-B...just one election, surely? The leader of the labour group on HBC is elected by the labour group, not by the voters. However, surely the circumstances surrounding this conflict of interest should have been brought to the publics attention before the elections at the beginning of May? So it is either a Labour Group cock-up of some sort or a conspiracy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 17:01   #6
God Member

It appears that I have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick here. My unreserved apologies to all and my thanks to Tealeaf and Graham for pointing out the error.

Still, it's a bit rum don't you think.
Old 24-05-2005, 17:05   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Ooops A-B...just one election, surely? The leader of the labour group on HBC is elected by the labour group, not by the voters. However, surely the circumstances surrounding this conflict of interest should have been brought to the publics attention before the elections at the beginning of May? So it is either a Labour Group cock-up of some sort or a conspiracy.
I would have thought that Jean Battle should have known about that, and others in the labour party

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 17:10   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
I would have thought that Jean Battle should have known about that, and others in the labour party
It was unknown who would win over all control at County Hall, and moreover if Labour retained control would there be a reshuffle due to losing candidates etc.. Hazel Harding the Leader only got in by 45 I believe.

Jean was offered a County Council cabinet position [only after the result was known of course] and Labour Party rules forbid holding two high offices on two councils. So she had no option in taking a cabinet position at County to resign at Hyndburn.

Wyn Frankland in Gt Harwood is altogether different if the rumour mill is to believed.
Old 24-05-2005, 17:10   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
Wyn Frankland has just resigned as a Councillor and there will be a by-election in Overton on 30th June.
Well, well whats happened there, trouble in't camp, any more info Graham, or will all be revealed in this weeks Observer

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-05-2005, 17:13   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
It was unknown who would win over all control at County Hall, and moreover if Labour retained control would there be a reshuffle due to losing candidates etc.. Hazel Harding the Leader only got in by 45 I believe.

Jean was offered a County Council cabinet position [only after the result was known of course] and Labour Party rules forbid holding two high offices on two councils. So she had no option in taking a cabinet position at County to resign at Hyndburn.
Fair do, to that Graham

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-05-2005, 17:52   #11
I am Band

Talking Re: By-election in Gt Harwood

Quote:
Wyn Frankland in Gt Harwood is altogether different if the rumour mill is to believed.
Ooo, go on Graham, do tell. We love a bit of gossip on here.

You could get yourself another alias, nom-de-plume, whatever you wish to call it, before revealing all. That way you could circumvent the slander, libel, gobbing-off laws before divulging the juicy goss'

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 18:46   #12
Senior Member+

Isn't just the normal resuffle-jobs for the boys thing that happens after every election? you know the "if you do this and I get in I will make sure you get this job"

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 22:25   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Ooo, go on Graham, do tell. We love a bit of gossip on here.

You could get yourself another alias, nom-de-plume, whatever you wish to call it, before revealing all. That way you could circumvent the slander, libel, gobbing-off laws before divulging the juicy goss'
Rumours suggest massive arguments in the Conservative camp. When Wyn wrote her letter, a council official was there within 10 minutes to collect it on behalf of Cllr Britcliffe. A lot of other rumours revolve around Wyn losing the County election after expecting to win, giving up all her roles and allowances back at Hyndburn.

After unexpectedly losing the County seat she tried to get back her paid allowance positions at Hyndburn but they had already been carved up to others. PB stuck the knife in, an almighty row erupted that split the party. Peter carried more supporters and Wyn resigned. ALLEGEDLY!!!!!!
Old 24-05-2005, 22:28   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Isn't just the normal resuffle-jobs for the boys thing that happens after every election? you know the "if you do this and I get in I will make sure you get this job"
I think thats a bit low. I never saw any of that going on.
Old 24-05-2005, 22:37   #15
Senior Member+

Do you have a life outside local politics Graham? I very nearly stood for councillor and am now grateful that I didn't.I only ask because everything you post on here is politically motivated and people may get the wrong impression!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..