Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Another nail in the coffin of freedom of speech (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/another-nail-in-the-coffin-of-freedom-of-speech-11981.html)

pendy 10-06-2005 08:50

Another nail in the coffin of freedom of speech

Anyone seen the new Racial and Religious Hatred Bill?

If this goes through, it will be a crime to speak ill of any religion, including Satanists and those African cults that believe in abusing children (members of which were recently convicted of child cruelty). It will be no defence to have good reason to make such remarks. The fact that they are true is also no defence.

What price freedom? - except for lunatics and sadists.

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2005 08:56

Re: Another nail in the coffin of freedom of speech

This is the most ridiculous thing the PC brigade have come up with yet. Don't they even realise that just making it illegal to voice an opinion doesn't stop people having those opinions anyway? Re-education is what's needed.

All this sort of thing does is cause more racial hatred and resentment.

Neil 10-06-2005 10:04

It looks like I will be getting in a lot of trouble then.

fireman 10-06-2005 10:07

I wonder if the legislation will be applied to all sectors and all so-called minorities.

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2005 10:27

If it applies it should apply to ALL never mind just minorities. Will that mean we can have Christmas back?

Debbie J 10-06-2005 10:32

I can see a lot of people locked up the next time Jehovahs witnesses or Mormons do the rounds. Can the PC not introdue a bill to stop the door knockers who always seem to appear when your in the middle of something & insist on you giving them 5 minutes of your time. And before I am reported for religious hatred I have nothing against them I'd just prefer it if they didn't knock on my door.

Neil 10-06-2005 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie J
I can see a lot of people locked up the next time Jehovahs witnesses or Mormons do the rounds.........& insist on you giving them 5 minutes of your time.

Just say no thank you and shut the door.

Neil 10-06-2005 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Will that mean we can have Christmas back?

Why has it been banned as well? :D

cashman 10-06-2005 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy

If this goes through, it will be a crime to speak ill of any religion, including Satanists and those African cults that believe in abusing children (members of which were recently convicted of child cruelty). It will be no defence to have good reason to make such remarks. The fact that they are true is also no defence.

What price freedom? - except for lunatics and sadists.

looks like i'm about to become a criminal then !lol

T.C. 10-06-2005 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie J
I can see a lot of people locked up the next time Jehovahs witnesses or Mormons do the rounds. Can the PC not introdue a bill to stop the door knockers who always seem to appear when your in the middle of something & insist on you giving them 5 minutes of your time. And before I am reported for religious hatred I have nothing against them I'd just prefer it if they didn't knock on my door.

I invited them to come and spend five minutes with me at the Parish Church. I haven't seen them since.

Roy 10-06-2005 13:41

Quote:

No, do you have a link top it somewhere? How will this affect things like internet message boards?

I do believe in communist russia they had stupid rules like this, I think it generally ended up in you being killed or just dissapearing for daring to have your own opinion.. Fortunately Russia is moving forwards.....

Tealeaf 10-06-2005 13:55

Here you go, Roy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...648528,00.html

Doug 10-06-2005 13:55

Yep, I've seen it. Anyone intrested can take a look at the following link. It will get worse before it gets better.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...11/2006011.htm

Margaret Pilkington 10-06-2005 14:03

This Bill will not generate tolerance.

Many of the things that are perceived as being offensive to other religions do not cause offence at all........so will they put the cross back in the crematorium........and the Bibles back in patients lockers.......?

chav1 10-06-2005 14:07

i wonder if they will arrest that muslim cleric that preeches in the street that christians are beneath dogs and our children should be slaughtered

forget his name

guy with hooks for hands

no no no not captain hook lol