Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2013, 07:00   #1
Senior Member+

12 year old cardio-respiratory surgeon.

The Tory candidate in the forthcoming by-election in Eastleigh has angered doctors in the constituency by claiming that she can't find the right education in the state system for her 12 year old son, because of his particular gifts.

“William is very gifted which gives us another interesting challenge in finding the right sort of education for him – impossible in the state system. He wants to be a cardio-respiratory surgeon.”

She has probably scuttled any chances she had of winning the election, but more importantly what sort of life is she giving her kid? Twelve year olds should be running round enjoying life, playing football and generally being little terrors in the nicest sense of the word. No matter how academically gifted he is.

What a horribly, horribly arrogant attitude of a parent to be so prescriptive of their childs future to go out publically and use him as a pawn in a political debate.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2013, 07:52   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: 12 year old cardiorespiratory surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The Tory candidate in the forthcoming by-election in Eastleigh has angered doctors in the constituency by claiming that she can't find the right education in the state system for her 12 year old son, because of his particular gifts.

“William is very gifted which gives us another interesting challenge in finding the right sort of education for him – impossible in the state system. He wants to be a cardio-respiratory surgeon.”

She has probably scuttled any chances she had of winning the election, but more importantly what sort of life is she giving her kid? Twelve year olds should be running round enjoying life, playing football and generally being little terrors in the nicest sense of the word. No matter how academically gifted he is.

What a horribly, horribly arrogant attitude of a parent to be so prescriptive of their childs future to go out publically and use him as a pawn in a political debate.
I always remember when my form teacher asked my parents what career they would like me to take when I left school, I clearly remember my dad saying a brain surgeon, but I settle for him being a joiner.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:58   #3
Senior Member+

Re: 12 year old cardio-respiratory surgeon.

The difference being that your dad had a sense of humour, jaysay!

This woman is serious.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 08:31   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The difference being that your dad had a sense of humour, jaysay!

This woman is serious.
My Dad was deadly serious believe me, but he was also a realist
Old 18-02-2013, 09:20   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

There are many gifted children perhaps held back by state schooling, but the really gifted ones succeed even though they have been through the state system, this woman is lucky, she can afford to go private so good on her, get on with it and stop embarrassing your son.
jaysay and gynn like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:42   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I always remember when my form teacher asked my parents what career they would like me to take when I left school, I clearly remember my dad saying a brain surgeon, but I settle for him being a joiner.
I heard that you'd join at anything.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:22   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
There are many gifted children perhaps held back by state schooling, but the really gifted ones succeed even though they have been through the state system, this woman is lucky, she can afford to go private so good on her, get on with it and stop embarrassing your son.
And if she gets elected who will be paying his private school fees ?.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:53   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
And if she gets elected who will be paying his private school fees ?
I don't know.
Whats more I don't care.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 14:51   #9

i myself was held back by state schooling,saying that i didnt attend a great deal, but was held back on a number of occasions, usually for some misbehavior or other, sorry could,nt resist saying that,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 17:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I heard that you'd join at anything.
No Frank not everything I'm very selective
Old 18-02-2013, 23:04   #11

I find it very hypocritical when politicians of all parties advocate state comprehensive education for the general public but always find a reason why their child has to be educated privately. If the state comprehensive isn't good enough for their child it isn't good enough for anybody else's! Similarly, I don't like it when politicians who came up through the grammar school system argue for their abolition. People thought selective education was unfair but I think it was better to have a system based on merit (academic ability) rather than money!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 08:59   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I find it very hypocritical when politicians of all parties advocate state comprehensive education for the general public but always find a reason why their child has to be educated privately. If the state comprehensive isn't good enough for their child it isn't good enough for anybody else's! Similarly, I don't like it when politicians who came up through the grammar school system argue for their abolition. People thought selective education was unfair but I think it was better to have a system based on merit (academic ability) rather than money!
Its always been the case Judith, if every child had the same educational needs that's fine, but they don't, we see it much and more today. The 11 plus exam told kids if they had what it took to further their education, if they passed they went to Grammar schools and the remainder went to secondary schools, worked fine, there are quite a few on here who benefited from that system which as you say was based on merit not on Money
Old 19-02-2013, 16:46   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

You guys really think that giving an 11 year old an IQ test to determine the quality of education they are given for the next 5-6 years is a good system??

Passed the 11+ myself, can't actually recall taking the actual exam thats how important it was to me, so it was pure luck I received a grammar school education which I promptly proceeded to waste until the day I left school and chucked my satchel in the canal.

Jaysay you are totally correct in that every child has different eductional needs....such a pity that all kids are forced into an establishment that values academic achievement and stifles creativity and independent thought, that teaches by rote from a curriculum decided by civil servants and then to add insult to injury has an MP say that even though you studied hard in one of these academia you should go and stack shelves.

BBC News - IDS attacks people who 'think they're too good' for work schemes
Eric likes this.
Old 19-02-2013, 17:30   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
You guys really think that giving an 11 year old an IQ test to determine the quality of education they are given for the next 5-6 years is a good system??

Passed the 11+ myself, can't actually recall taking the actual exam that's how important it was to me, so it was pure luck I received a grammar school education which I promptly proceeded to waste until the day I left school and chucked my satchel in the canal.

Jaysay you are totally correct in that every child has different educational needs....such a pity that all kids are forced into an establishment that values academic achievement and stifles creativity and independent thought, that teaches by rote from a curriculum decided by civil servants and then to add insult to injury has an MP say that even though you studied hard in one of these academia you should go and stack shelves.

Well to be honest Guinness, I'd never any intention of going to Grammar school because, I made my mind up when I was given a tool set for my 6th birthday what I wanted to be, when I was 21 I decided to have a change and applied for an office job at a building firm thought there was more security for my family, I lasted about 5 months, couldn't wait to dig the tools out again. Now you've no option but to got through the comprehensive system, was much better for all concerned when those with ability went to Grammar schools at least they weren't held back and were allowed to get better standard of education, followed by University. Today more and more people are going to University, for what, to work behind a bar
Old 20-02-2013, 14:04   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Passed the 11+ myself, can't actually recall taking the actual exam thats how important it was to me, so it was pure luck I received a grammar school education which I promptly proceeded to waste until the day I left school and chucked my satchel in the canal.

Jaysay you are totally correct in that every child has different eductional needs....such a pity that all kids are forced into an establishment that values academic achievement and stifles creativity and independent thought, that teaches by rote from a curriculum decided by civil servants and then to add insult to injury has an MP say that even though you studied hard in one of these academia you should go and stack shelves.

I, for one, don't believe that the 11+ was a good way of sorting out kids, and putting them on a track which affected the rest of their lives. There are problems with IQ tests which folks tend to ignore, treating them as "neutral". And curricula are designed to manufacutre "good citizens", as in those who will conform to the system. It isn't surprising that when cuts come in schools, the programmes that suffer are one's deemed to be "frills": art and music come to mind, as do physical education classes ... strange this when childhood obesity is one of the major problems facing the UK ... and Canada, the US; in fact, all the "developed" nations. Folks think "back to the basics" and "concentration on the three Rs" are the answers to the crisis in education. The crisis in the system is the system itself. And the treating of education as a system.
Guinness likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..