Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 18:59   #1
God Member

141 Years Old

Happy Birthday Canada .... On July 1st Canada is 141 years old ... On July j1, 1867 with the signing of the British North America Act, Canada was born .... And what a party it will be in Kingston, Canada's first capital (Kingston City Hall was built as Canada's first parliament building) ... It will be one massive country-wide party, with food, music, fireworks, everything ... and of course lots of beer!!!!!

(And because nothing is ever simple in the great and diverse land of ours, if you live in Quebec and are a seperatiste, you have already celebrated St. Jean Baptiste Day, and are still hung over ... and if you live in our youngest Province, Newfoundland and Labrador, you will be observing Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor the men of The Newfoundland Regiment, who fell on July 1, 1916 attacking Beaumont Hammel ... as an aside, and to give it an Accy connection, just to the right of the Newfoundlanders in the order of battle on the first day of the Somme, were the men of the 11th Battallion of the East Lancashires).

Let the party begin
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2008, 19:03   #2

Re: 141 Years Old

Well I could understand a 100th or a 125th and even a 150th. At a pinch a 140th would be a good excuse to celebrate.
But 141st??? That is just one lame excuse to get drunk !!

Last edited by Mick; 01-07-2008 at 05:25.
churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:12   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Well I could understand a 100th or a 125th and even a 150th. At a pinch a 140th would be a good excuse to celebrate.
But 141st??? That is just one lame excuse to get Drunk!!
Party pooper

Last edited by Mick; 01-07-2008 at 05:25.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:48   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
But 141st??? That is just one lame excuse to get Drunk!!
Just a thought: the US is 232 years old (if my arithmetic is correct) and I don't think that oddball number will stop Barb from letting off a couple of hundred rounds on July 4... or maybe two hundred and thirty two
From the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the Arctic Ocean to the shores of the Great Lakes, from the Rockies to the outports of Newfoundland, let's have one great bash .... Long live Canada/Vive le Canads

Last edited by Mick; 01-07-2008 at 05:26. Reason: language
Old 30-06-2008, 21:03   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its older n that, ya just pinched it off the previous owners.
Old 30-06-2008, 21:33   #6
Resting in Peace

Happy Birthday to what seems to be a beautiful country Eric ... hope you have a lovely time. Oh go on, will open a bottle of wine with you to celebrate...

canadian flag.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 00:14   #7
Senior Member+

You,re right Phil but why not party, it,s as good an excuse as any, I,ll be throwing a couple of tee-bones on the barbecue along with a chunk of salmon and washing it back with a beer or two. Summer has finally arrived, it,s 30deg.+ today. We,re eight hours behind Accy here on the west coast so I have one more sleep yet. I can,t believe that we,ve been here 34 years tomorrow {1stJuly** where the heck as all the time gone? Anyway, happy birthday Canada.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:11   #8
white rabbits

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA,,,,

WISH WE HAD YOUR MOUNTIES,,,,
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04   #9
Resting in Peace

Nice on Eric your like mi sen out for a celibration cheers
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07   #10
Resting in Peace

Just a little wander its 150 years ago today the Charlie Darwin put forward the idea that we all come from mokey's, the more time goes on I think he was wrong, monkey's wouldn't behave half as bad as some of their modern day counterparts
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

oh i love canada, and would love to live there!

any chance of canada letting ya emirgrating for a tenner?, like the aussies did, ya know to celebrate the birthday....
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
oh i love canada, and would love to live there!

any chance of canada letting ya emirgrating for a tenner?, like the aussies did, ya know to celebrate the birthday....
Might not be a tenner panther, but one of the Daily papers today had a front page spread that Canada are going to allow fast track imigration for Brits with the right qualifications, Eric may be getting some company
Old 01-07-2008, 19:03   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Might not be a tenner panther, but one of the Daily papers today had a front page spread that Canada are going to allow fast track imigration for Brits with the right qualifications, Eric may be getting some company
Damn, there goes the neighbourhood Pity you couldn't be here today for my bbq. On the menu: T-bone steak, Canadian grade A beef, one and a quarter inches thick, and for those who don't like red meat, Lake Ontario salmon caught by yours truly, PEI potatos, locally grown peas and sweet corn. A huge salad with all the ingredients (lettuce, radishes, cucumber etc) locally grown. And the important stuff: wine from Prince Edward County just down the road, Canadian beer, Canadian rye whisky, rum from Newfoundland and canabis from British Columbia ... and then out on the streets of our beautiful city for a wild Canada Day pub crawl. And tomorrow .... I hate to think about it
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Damn, there goes the neighbourhood Pity you couldn't be here today for my bbq. On the menu: T-bone steak, Canadian grade A beef, one and a quarter inches thick, and for those who don't like red meat, Lake Ontario salmon caught by yours truly, PEI potatos, locally grown peas and sweet corn. A huge salad with all the ingredients (lettuce, radishes, cucumber etc) locally grown. And the important stuff: wine from Prince Edward County just down the road, Canadian beer, Canadian rye whisky, rum from Newfoundland and canabis from British Columbia ... and then out on the streets of our beautiful city for a wild Canada Day pub crawl. And tomorrow .... I hate to think about it
Hows the head this morning Eric
Old 02-07-2008, 15:37   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hows the head this morning Eric
Ouch ... feels like the Blue Jays have been using it for batting practice ... and my mouth tastes like a skunk's latrine The things we do for love of country

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..