Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The King died. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-king-died-14541.html)

garinda 16-08-2005 10:04

The King died.

Twenty eight years ago today Elvis Presley died.

Any one old enough to remember, what were you doing exactly twenty eight years ago on this day?

I was camping with the Boy's Brigade in Scarborough, and hating it.

I remember walking miles and miles by myself along the coastal path to phone my parents. I'd been brought up with Elvis's music, and it felt like we had lost someone we knew, daft I know.

I've never been back to Scarborough since, and have only been camping twice since, and that was under duress.

garinda 16-08-2005 10:08

Re: The King died.

Oh dear,:(

I created this thread after wishing Mummiboo a happy birthday.

I just checked and have seen she is twenty eight today.

So we at least know what Anne and Mummiboo were doing.

Wynonie Harris 16-08-2005 10:22

Sorry to wander off-thread a bit, but Bank Holiday Monday, August 29th could be a good day to renew your acquaintance with Scarborough. I'm sure it would be a much more enjoyable experience than the first time!

garinda 16-08-2005 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Sorry to wander off-thread a bit, but Bank Holiday Monday, August 29th could be a good day to renew your acquaintance with Scarborough. I'm sure it would be a much more enjoyable experience than the first time!

Why, what's going on there?

Wynonie Harris 16-08-2005 10:40

We're going to beat their football team on our way to promotion. Come on Gary, you're a fan now!:D

grannyclaret 16-08-2005 10:50

oh i cried for days and days ,,, i still remember all his songs ,nobody will ever take his crown ,that man was the ultimate......

joanne25 16-08-2005 11:03

sorry,but i thought he died on the 17th.

Tealeaf 16-08-2005 11:06

Yeah...I remember. August 16th 1977. I was in a tent at the time in the Black Mountains.

MUMMIBOO 16-08-2005 11:07

Well like garinda says you all know what me and mum where doing !

joanne25 16-08-2005 11:07

sorry,it was the 16th,i was only young when he died,but i do like listening to his songs,even today.

grannyclaret 16-08-2005 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanne25
sorry,but i thought he died on the 17th.

no....16th....just asked jeeves ........ oh elvis ,

harwood red 16-08-2005 12:41

I was only 6 so was oblivious to it, prob to busy watching magic roundabout or the clangers!!!

Doug 16-08-2005 12:50

16th August 1977

On this day “The King” Elvis Presley was found dead at his home “Graceland”. The day before his next scheduled concert, Presley was discovered by his girlfriend Ginger Alden dead in his bathroom at Graceland. An unconscious Elvis Presley is rushed to Baptist Memorial Hospital around 3 p.m. Despite efforts to revive him, Presley is subsequently pronounced dead.

I was working for a living on that day, that's what I was doing. Didn't mind his music.....

garinda 16-08-2005 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
We're going to beat their football team on our way to promotion. Come on Gary, you're a fan now!:D

Duh, sorry.:(

Will I have to hand in my official supporters badge now?:confused:

I will be there at Altringham tonight though.:)

My parents were young teens when Elvis first ignited the world with his version of Rock 'n' Roll, it's the first music I remember growing up. Luckily I was careful as a child, when I used to play all my Dad's old LP's.

Favourite Elvis cocert, the 1969 TV come back special, the one with the black leather, rather than the now much imitated white, Vegas, rhinestone encrusted jumpsuit years.

I was twelve when he died twenty eight years ago, and I'm only thirty two now, which is all a bit strange.;)

lettie 16-08-2005 14:21

There is a thread in the nostalgia section about this. I think it's a couple of years old, so it may be way back in the section. I'll see if I can root it out.:D