Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   castles and palaces (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/castles-and-palaces-17109.html)

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2005 08:27

castles and palaces

My children and I were discussing the existence of castles and palaces and the fact that not all palaces are castles and not all castles are palaces.

By the time we'd said "Some castles are palaces and some palaces are castles but not all castles are palaces and not all palaces are castles" it was very difficult not to end up talking about pastilles and callouses!

SPUGGIE J 08-10-2005 10:54

Re: castles and palaces

A castle is a fortified building with a least 2 sets of walls and an inner keepand ancillery buildings. A palace is a luxury residence with little or no defencive features. Best examples Windsor Castle and Bukingham Palace.

mantrabooks 08-10-2005 12:48

castles and palaces

mantrabooks 08-10-2005 12:49

I wonder which path would lead us to where if we started talking about Wizards and Muggles, and do they live in castles or palaces?

grannyclaret 08-10-2005 12:57

you reminded me of the rhyme by danny kaye,,,
the veasel with the pestle has the potion with the poison.
the challess from the palace has the brew which is true,
the flagon with the dragon has the ,,,,,,,,,,,,cant just remember the rest.lol

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2005 13:29

This the one?

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

mantrabooks 08-10-2005 13:32

Time for a poem....

Drawback by Clive Webster from Dragon Poems

It's a funny poem and it rhymes. Here it is.

The dragon raged with flame and fire,
He blew it down his nose -
But the poor old soul was quite cross-eyed,
And burnt off all his toes

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2005 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
A castle is a fortified building with a least 2 sets of walls and an inner keepand ancillery buildings. A palace is a luxury residence with little or no defencive features. Best examples Windsor Castle and Bukingham Palace.

Now that's interesting because I know of at least one Scottish castle which doesn't fit that description, and several in Germany.

The Scottish castle I'm thinking of has only the one set of walls (the actual building itself) and has from time to time served as a royal rsidence and been referred to as a palace. :idunno:

SPUGGIE J 08-10-2005 14:44

Castle of Mae, Balmoral, are 2 but they were built as a show piece home not as a fortification. Cannon and explosives put pay to castles and they became homes not retreatsespecially those built cirrca 1700-1800.

grannyclaret 08-10-2005 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This the one?

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

thats the one willow:hehetable