Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27   #1
Resident Waffler

castles and palaces

My children and I were discussing the existence of castles and palaces and the fact that not all palaces are castles and not all castles are palaces.

By the time we'd said "Some castles are palaces and some palaces are castles but not all castles are palaces and not all palaces are castles" it was very difficult not to end up talking about pastilles and callouses!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54   #2
God Member

Re: castles and palaces

A castle is a fortified building with a least 2 sets of walls and an inner keepand ancillery buildings. A palace is a luxury residence with little or no defencive features. Best examples Windsor Castle and Bukingham Palace.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:48   #3

castles and palaces

Last edited by mantrabooks; 08-10-2005 at 12:52. Reason: needs deleting
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:49   #4

I wonder which path would lead us to where if we started talking about Wizards and Muggles, and do they live in castles or palaces?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57   #5
white rabbits

you reminded me of the rhyme by danny kaye,,,
the veasel with the pestle has the potion with the poison.
the challess from the palace has the brew which is true,
the flagon with the dragon has the ,,,,,,,,,,,,cant just remember the rest.lol
Old 08-10-2005, 13:29   #6
Resident Waffler

This the one?

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

Old 08-10-2005, 13:32   #7

Time for a poem....

Drawback by Clive Webster from Dragon Poems

It's a funny poem and it rhymes. Here it is.

The dragon raged with flame and fire,
He blew it down his nose -
But the poor old soul was quite cross-eyed,
And burnt off all his toes
Old 08-10-2005, 14:10   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
A castle is a fortified building with a least 2 sets of walls and an inner keepand ancillery buildings. A palace is a luxury residence with little or no defencive features. Best examples Windsor Castle and Bukingham Palace.
Now that's interesting because I know of at least one Scottish castle which doesn't fit that description, and several in Germany.

The Scottish castle I'm thinking of has only the one set of walls (the actual building itself) and has from time to time served as a royal rsidence and been referred to as a palace.

Old 08-10-2005, 14:44   #9
God Member

Castle of Mae, Balmoral, are 2 but they were built as a show piece home not as a fortification. Cannon and explosives put pay to castles and they became homes not retreatsespecially those built cirrca 1700-1800.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 17:57   #10
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This the one?

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.
thats the one willow

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..