Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   First reported on Accy Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/first-reported-on-accy-web-18656.html)

park381 23-12-2005 14:24

First reported on Accy Web

My daughter has just phoned, she was in Tesco's in Blackburn shopping, when someone snatched the takings from one of the tills, and made a getaway through one of the fire doors at the top end of the store.

WillowTheWhisp 23-12-2005 14:42

Re: First reported on Accy Web

Hope they catch him/her.

grannyclaret 23-12-2005 14:49

wow.... i hope shes on the news tonight...

park381 23-12-2005 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyclaret
wow.... i hope shes on the news tonight...

No, I know my daughter, she will have kept well out of the way :D but it may be in the telegraph, wonder how much they managed to snatch.

SPUGGIE J 23-12-2005 15:37

Bold as brass to do it even thogh its wrong. Just shows how easy something like this can happen at this time of year.

garinda 23-12-2005 15:44

This is not an urban myth, because my friend Fergus was working there at the time and witnessed it.

In the eighties in the Harrods sale, someone came in, set up a till, took a load of money from the customers and then just walked out with all the cash. It was only at the end of the day they realised what had happened when they saw an extra empty till. It's so manic in the sale at Harrods in the first few days, and with so many temps taken on to work there, it was the perfect wheeze.

park381 23-12-2005 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
This is not an urban myth, because my friend Fergus was working there at the time and witnessed it.

Why did your friend Fergus not stop him/her/them :D

garinda 23-12-2005 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381
Why did your friend Fergus not stop him/her/them :D

He was a student, and one of the temps taken on for the sale. It wasn't until the end of the day that the managers realised what had happened, and were told by the temps, who were not allowed to use the tills, that they'd helped people and then took them over to the false till to pay all throughout the manic first day of the sale.

jimmi5bellies 23-12-2005 17:18

Im not defending the theifs but at least they didnt go in welding guns like they have been doing with the banks recently.

I think all supermarkets should have drop safes in them, all notes etc should be immediately dropped into them leaving only a minimum float at all times and this should be made common knowledge.

When i worked at ASDA we used to "bank" wads of money from the till in front of customers, we could have thousands in our hands at one time, put it into a small cash bag and then into a crappy little slit safe under our till. It would have been so easy for a customer to get hold of us when we was doing it.

park381 23-12-2005 18:38

No, seems like it was a combination of circumstances, cashier had till open, but was handing something over to the customer, whoever in next checkout que, saw the opportunity and took it..............a fist full of notes