Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   why..? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/why-19880.html)

chav1 28-02-2006 11:42

why..?

all over the news and morning TV there have been reports that obesity in children is still on the rise and all the experts are blaming the govenment for kids been fat.

forgive my bluntness but how is this the govenments fault and isnt it the parents responsability not to shove crap down their kids throats..?

i am no big fan of any govenment but even i cant blame the govenment for fat kids :rolleyes:

Less 28-02-2006 11:54

Re: why..?

Perhaps this sort of picture should be shown on all chocolate products rather than just the new health warning?

SPUGGIE J 28-02-2006 14:44

Yes the parents are responsible as it is easier to give them a takeaway meal or a TV dinner than proper food at the proper time. Even schools dont help matters with what they serve and that is down to the govenment.

jimmi5bellies 28-02-2006 15:06

The cost of fresh fruit and veg is terrible. And now they say half of the fresh fruit is fattening as well.

garinda 28-02-2006 15:06

If children were still allowed to go up chimneys, you can bet parents would ensure their offspring were thin enough to climb up, otherwise they wouldn't be earning their keep.

lettie 28-02-2006 15:47

I have also been wondering how anybody could possibly blame the government for this too. Then again, if in doubt, blame the government...:D

Parents have a responsibility to ensure that their children are cared for and eat healthily. The government are responsible for making sure that the poorest families can afford to feed their children, which in my opinion they have done.

All too often people blame the government for how their children turn out, undisciplined, obese etc. Children are the responsibility of their parents, if you don't want that kind of responsibility then don't have kids. There's no excuse for unwanted children these days.

chav1 28-02-2006 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettie
There's no excuse for unwanted children these days..

can you please explain this to my mother as she is still trying to get an abortion :(

Phylum 28-02-2006 15:54

Reasons kids are fat:

1. Cheap food is fattening food (usually)
2. Kids living in flats have no gardens
3. Kids cannot play out because it is now too dangerous in many places to do so
4. Bullying. Untill teachers get off their backsides to do something about this, it will just go on and on
5. Parents are fat, don't care or don't know

lettie 28-02-2006 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1
can you please explain this to my mother as she is still trying to get an abortion :(

Then she should have used contraception....:D

chav1 28-02-2006 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phylum
Reasons kids are fat:

4. Bullying. Untill teachers get off their backsides to do something about this, it will just go on and on

my theory.

1: dvd players and ps2's make excellent child minders
2: easier to slam food in a microwave than actualy cook somthing
3: even easier to drive to mcdonalds or KFC
4: no swings etc at parks to use because parents have sued the councils too much
5: beer and fags are easily obtained and cheaper than going to the sports center

garinda 28-02-2006 15:59

Quote:

Reasons kids are fat:

1/ Fast food, which is relatively expensive, is fattening.
2/ Kids who live in flats have public parks to play in, rather than sit at their pc's/Playstations.
3/ It's no more dangerous now than in years gone by, people are just more aware of the dangers.
4/ Teachers have their hand's tied, by legislation to supposedly protect children.
5/ Not all parents are fat.

Phylum 28-02-2006 16:06

1. Lots of foods are fattening, low cal, good food is expensive
2. Parks are dangerous, my experience is East London, where not even adults walk alone
3. It is much more dangerous now. Where I used to live, someone is gunned down every week.
4. I agree
5. Did not say they were

garinda 28-02-2006 16:08

Quote:

1. Lots of foods are fattening, low cal, good food is expensive
2. Parks are dangerous, my experience is East London, where not even adults walk alone
3. It is much more dangerous now. Where I used to live, someone is gunned down every week.
4. I agree
5. Did not say they were

Good fresh food is not expensive, if people can be bothered going to the markets to buy fresh fruit and veg and meat or fish, and getting of their arses.

Ready packed/washed food is expensive. It's not rocket science.

Phylum 28-02-2006 16:14

Quote:

Good fresh food is not expensive, if people can be bothered going to the markets to buy fresh fruit and veg and meat or fish, and getting of their arses.
I suggest you've never tried bringing up three kids on benefit.

garinda 28-02-2006 16:18

Quote:

I suggest you've never tried bringing up three kids on benefit.

Patronising me will get you nowhere. You know nothing about me so don't make sweeping generalisations, leave that for your views on religion.

It's been proved many times that fresh food is cheaper than that which has been pre-cooked, pre-washed or processed.

Economics not your strong point?