Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 12:03   #1

20 mph zones to be imposed

See Lancs County are imposing 20mph areas over a huge swathe of streets in Great Harwood and Knuzden. Did anyone see or hear of a consultation period?

As much as we all want road safety to be an issue (certainly outside any school is justified) to blanket half the town with 20mph is OTT for my money.

The cost of this scheme must be a fortune. I sometimes wonder with this type of thing as exampled by the needless lights at roundabouts whether the Council is too cosy with the road sign manufacturers or at least justifying continuing expense of the Highway Dept over some more desperately needed areas.

Speed Limits - 20mph areas - Hyndburn
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2011, 12:53   #2
God Member

Re: 20 mph zones to be imposed

Can i just say....when you come through Intack traffic lights heading towards the Redcap it is now a 40 zone NOT a 50 zone, i saw them changing the signs the other day....just a heads up because you can't see most of the signs because of overgrown tree's....and there will be traffic cops on that stretch with the speed guns at some point, they are usually near the old daisy dairy
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 15:52   #3
God Member

Re: 20 mph zones to be imposed

If lancs council are concerned about road safety they should have a serious rethink on how they mark up roundabouts because some of them are diabolical and are dangerous as they do not concur with what is in the highway code or what is taught when learning to drive.

one in particular is the roundabout near McDonald's after you exit whitebirk they force you to use the right hand lane to go straight on which is wrong and causes confusion to drivers who do not know the area as they are following the correct route according to the highway code and find themselves having to change lanes suddenly which is dangerous at rush hour's.

It seems many councils have thrown the highway code out the window and now mark up roundabouts as to which way they think the lines look the prettiest

as for 20mph zones it will help but with all the cars about these days especially around owen street where theres only enough room for 1 car to pass switching to a 1 way system may be of more use.

Also wouldnt hurt if the police fixed penalty notices to those cars parked on teh corner of junction exits

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 10-08-2011 at 15:55.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..