Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Accrington Pals project (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/accrington-pals-project-21040.html)

Gayle 16-04-2006 07:55

Accrington Pals project

Hyndburn Women's Forum has applied for some money to run a project which looks at the socio-economic impact on the town of the loss of a generation of men in the first world war - The Accrington Pals.

As the 1st July this year is the 90th anniversary of the battle of the somme this seems an appropriate time to do it. There are lots of other activities going on around the same time, including Oswaldtwistle Players radio dramatisation of the play, Baxenen Bash are holding an event and of course, the council is planning some activities.

The end result of the HWF project would be a travelling exhibition which could be placed in public buildings and schools, there would also be a website. It would be an educational tool on the way women lived at the time.

So, whilst the aim would be to commemorate the Pals, it would mostly be a look at the way world events changed the women of the town's lives forever.

As part of the application requirements we have been asked to do further consultation. So, this is a genuine request for help and suport please.

Could you please give your opinions or comments on this initiative? Bear in mind that I will be sending this to the funding body as part of the consulation process and it could affect whether they decide to fund the project or not!

SPUGGIE J 16-04-2006 10:21

Re: Accrington Pals project

This is something the whole town sould get behind without all the usual bickering about funding. Those lads and men died for the freedoms we enjoy and should never ever be forgotton or pushed to one side! Hope it dosnt fall at the final hurdle Gayle.

kash 16-04-2006 13:04

What is the point
What will it REALLY achieve?
I say its a waste of money

I know everyones going to comform against my comments (most of you agree with each other just to be popular)

garinda 16-04-2006 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kash
What is the point

I know everyones going to comform against my comments (most of you agree with each other just to be popular)

It well help keep alive the memory of the people who gave their lives for our freedom, and the women and children these young men left behind.

From such a crass comment, I think there is every need for people to be educated about this tragic event in our town's history.

kash 16-04-2006 13:21

Quote:

It well help keep alive the memory of the people who gave their lives for our freedom, and the women and children these young men left behind.
well why don't we keep some happy memories alive instead of death and misery

garinda 16-04-2006 13:26

Quote:

I see from your past posts you are a practising Muslim, why don't you show some innitative yourself and apply for funding to show the good things young Muslims are doing in the community instead of criticising this project?

What do you know about the Accrington Pals?

Wouldn't you like to learn more?

accymel 16-04-2006 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
This is something the whole town sould get behind without all the usual bickering about funding. Those lads and men died for the freedoms we enjoy and should never ever be forgotton or pushed to one side!

Here Here Spuggie thats the most important thing to remember & a subject i hold with greatest respect!!!

kash 16-04-2006 13:31

i think that the money should be spent on bringing the accy community together by showing how similar islam and christianity are. especially with the divides in todays society

SPUGGIE J 16-04-2006 13:35

Quote:

i think that the money should be spent on bringing the accy community together by showing how similar islam and christianity are. especially with the divides in todays society

There could be money found for that but WWI killed men of all faiths and they stood as one. Maybe we should learn from that and be richer of mind and soul for it.

garinda 16-04-2006 13:37

Quote:

Good idea.:)

This project though is seeking funding for something else.

A whole generation of this town's men were killed on one day, fighting for our freedoms.

I think it's quite clever of Gayle to seek funding based on the fact that women and children were left behind to carry on with their lives.

If fundind is given it won't cosy you a penny Kash, and you might learn something.

SPUGGIE J 16-04-2006 13:43

Quote:

Without the unfortunate episodes of death and misery we would not be here. The Muslim world fought for its rights from the time of the crusades so that the countries of that faith have their independence without which the British Empire of old might still hold sway.

SPUGGIE J 16-04-2006 13:51

Quote:

What is the point

Popular has nothing to do with it its how you feel in your heart to what is on the post. Members here have stuck to their guns about something that others find they have the opposite view to. The result can be a very invigorating discussion to which both sides see the point of the other and agree to disagree. If "just to be popular" was what happened here the sites purpose would be defeated and just drift slowley away. You are entitled to your view and most "seasoned members" will respect it if followed up by a proper argument as to your reasons for your view. To commemorate something that was world changing and the end result is the people Gayle is trying to remember is in my opinion VERY NOBLE and shows the appriciation of those that died. Those that died at Serre where not the only victims as Gayle hopes to show.

Bazf 16-04-2006 14:55

Quote:

So, whilst the aim would be to commemorate the Pals, it would mostly be a look at the way world events changed the women of the town's lives forever.
It happened a long time ago, from this how will it help the Women of today?
We already know of the impact it had as a lot of people grew up with it and our grandparents told us how it affected them.
How is it commemorating the pals or am I missing something? Commemorating means To honor the memory of with a ceremony or To serve as a memorial to, don't see how this does it.

I know we all revere the Pals and anything said that opposes that view is deemed sacraligous but come on this is getting money using the Pals name.

kash 16-04-2006 15:14

Quote:

this is getting money using the Pals name.
whenever someone wants some money for a project/ innitative all they do is make a link to the pals, thinking the money will come flooding in

Andrew Jackson 16-04-2006 16:49

Gayle,
I'd support the project, covering as it does an area which up to now has been largely neglected.
I would though suggest that you take in the impact of the town's war dead as a whole. Although the devastating losses suffered by the Pals on 1st July 1916 had a traumatic effect on the town at the time, they didn't amount to the loss of a generation. The casualty rate among Accrington men in 1917 and 1918 equalled and even surpassed that of 1916.
Although we are right to commemorate the Pals, in doing so we should never forget the majority of Accrington men who served and died with other units.
I look forward to hearing more about the project, and hope to be involved in it.
Kind regards,
Andrew