Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Teenager Trap (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/teenager-trap-21521.html)

Busman747 03-05-2006 21:28

Teenager Trap

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...1&d=1146691476

Mimi, (who is both my step-daughter and junior accyweb member) received an e-mail the other day from one of her teenage friends. It was a typical teenage thing to do, simply fill in the questionaire and find out what your real favourite colour is!

Mimi sent this to me as well as several more of her friends - and I was made to fill out 5 pages of nondescript questions all to find out what colour I liked! (and I don't like brown which is the colour I REALLY like apparently :confused: )

Above is the result page that I received, anyone notice something rather sinister or naughty about it?:eek:

Bagpuss 03-05-2006 22:02

Re: Teenager Trap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747
Above is the result page that I received, anyone notice something rather sinister or naughty about it?:eek:

Not really could you please point out what you mean.

Busman747 03-05-2006 22:15

Easy bagpuss - will you please pm me with your e-mail address? AND YOUR E-MAIL PASSWORD???::eek:

Its so easy for teens to fill in the required info without thinking and in fact, Mimi did just that. Needless to say, we have now got her to change her password but all her friends have done the same in giving away their passwords in order to see what colours their friends prefer.

chav1 03-05-2006 22:32

bloody hell i didnt notice that :rolleyes:

cheeky barstewards

garinda 03-05-2006 22:40

I thought because your 'true colour' was brown, they were going to try and sell you a beauty treatment to get rid of brown facial blemishes.:eek:

chav1 03-05-2006 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I thought because your 'true colour' was brown, they were going to try and sell you a beauty treatment to get rid of brown facial blemishes.:eek:

toilet paper can do that :eek:

edit:

oops sory i thought you said fecial :rolleyes:

entwisi 04-05-2006 05:09

Social engineering. You disguise your true purpose in something trivial. Its amazing what info people will give out 'innocently' or even without realising that they have done.

If it had said give us your gmail password so we can hack your account she wouldn't of gone near it. because its 6 pages deep with an offer of a quick solution to something people do.

Have you reported it to GMail so they can get it shut down?

Busman747 04-05-2006 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
Have you reported it to GMail so they can get it shut down?

Good idea Entwisi, I will do that asap!

Mancie 04-05-2006 22:17

yep its a typical advert ploy.. got to say i did sign up for similair things myself once.. its all rubbish, send you simm cards for phones ect.. then u get blasted by mail from everywere.. best thing to do is use any "blocker" stuff you have in your email app..or sometimes you can get to the bottom page of the advert and "unsubscribe"

jambutty 05-05-2006 17:49

The worst thing that you can do with SPAM emails Mancie is to use the unsubscribe link at the end. In the majority of cases you won’t be un-subscribed and all it does is it tells the sender that your email address is active.

The best bet is to ignore them, delete them and forget them.

entwisi 05-05-2006 17:52

yep, it tells them that you are an active email address and also that you are actually reading this rubbish. They then sell your address onto all the spammers across the world

Busman747 05-05-2006 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie
yep its a typical advert ploy.. got to say i did sign up for similair things myself once.. its all rubbish, send you simm cards for phones ect.. then u get blasted by mail from everywere.. best thing to do is use any "blocker" stuff you have in your email app..or sometimes you can get to the bottom page of the advert and "unsubscribe"

NO!!! Sorry mancie but are perhaps missing the point? Its not a typical advert ploy, teenagers are giving away their passwords to their e-mail account which means that if spam arrives at that account and is put in the spam folder, someone else can open that folder and return it to the in box.

It also means that others can read the e-mail remotely as it arrives in the "in" box.

Passwords to various web sites inc. banks etc send passwords to the account holder via e-mail, imagine what people can do with this info! Its frightening!

Busman747 05-05-2006 19:30

Sorry, double post.:rolleyes: