Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 21:28   #1
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs down Teenager Trap

Mimi, (who is both my step-daughter and junior accyweb member) received an e-mail the other day from one of her teenage friends. It was a typical teenage thing to do, simply fill in the questionaire and find out what your real favourite colour is!

Mimi sent this to me as well as several more of her friends - and I was made to fill out 5 pages of nondescript questions all to find out what colour I liked! (and I don't like brown which is the colour I REALLY like apparently )

Above is the result page that I received, anyone notice something rather sinister or naughty about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (52.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 03-05-2006, 22:02   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Teenager Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Above is the result page that I received, anyone notice something rather sinister or naughty about it?
Not really could you please point out what you mean.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 22:15   #3
Always EVIL within us

Easy bagpuss - will you please pm me with your e-mail address? AND YOUR E-MAIL PASSWORD???:

Its so easy for teens to fill in the required info without thinking and in fact, Mimi did just that. Needless to say, we have now got her to change her password but all her friends have done the same in giving away their passwords in order to see what colours their friends prefer.
Old 03-05-2006, 22:32   #4
I am Banned

bloody hell i didnt notice that

cheeky barstewards
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 22:40   #5
Give, give, give member

I thought because your 'true colour' was brown, they were going to try and sell you a beauty treatment to get rid of brown facial blemishes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 22:53   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I thought because your 'true colour' was brown, they were going to try and sell you a beauty treatment to get rid of brown facial blemishes.
toilet paper can do that

edit:

oops sory i thought you said fecial
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:09   #7
God Member

Social engineering. You disguise your true purpose in something trivial. Its amazing what info people will give out 'innocently' or even without realising that they have done.

If it had said give us your gmail password so we can hack your account she wouldn't of gone near it. because its 6 pages deep with an offer of a quick solution to something people do.

Have you reported it to GMail so they can get it shut down?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 19:55   #8
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Have you reported it to GMail so they can get it shut down?
Good idea Entwisi, I will do that asap!
Old 04-05-2006, 22:17   #9
God Member

yep its a typical advert ploy.. got to say i did sign up for similair things myself once.. its all rubbish, send you simm cards for phones ect.. then u get blasted by mail from everywere.. best thing to do is use any "blocker" stuff you have in your email app..or sometimes you can get to the bottom page of the advert and "unsubscribe"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 17:49   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Teenager Trap

The worst thing that you can do with SPAM emails Mancie is to use the unsubscribe link at the end. In the majority of cases you won’t be un-subscribed and all it does is it tells the sender that your email address is active.

The best bet is to ignore them, delete them and forget them.
Old 05-05-2006, 17:52   #11
God Member

yep, it tells them that you are an active email address and also that you are actually reading this rubbish. They then sell your address onto all the spammers across the world

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 19:30   #12
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
yep its a typical advert ploy.. got to say i did sign up for similair things myself once.. its all rubbish, send you simm cards for phones ect.. then u get blasted by mail from everywere.. best thing to do is use any "blocker" stuff you have in your email app..or sometimes you can get to the bottom page of the advert and "unsubscribe"
NO!!! Sorry mancie but are perhaps missing the point? Its not a typical advert ploy, teenagers are giving away their passwords to their e-mail account which means that if spam arrives at that account and is put in the spam folder, someone else can open that folder and return it to the in box.

It also means that others can read the e-mail remotely as it arrives in the "in" box.

Passwords to various web sites inc. banks etc send passwords to the account holder via e-mail, imagine what people can do with this info! Its frightening!
Old 05-05-2006, 19:30   #13
Always EVIL within us

Sorry, double post.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..