Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Speed Cameras (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/speed-cameras-2560.html)

Roy 29-08-2003 12:46

Speed Cameras

Just found this website which shows all of hyndburns speed camera locations.

http://www.safe2travel.co.uk/cameras...tails.asp?l=hy

Be careful out there....  

adi 29-08-2003 12:52

Re: Speed Cameras

Cheers Roy - just hope the Website is upto date!!!!

;D

HarryX 29-08-2003 13:08

Drive legally and stick to speed limits, Then it doesn't really matter where the cameras are does it :)

adi 29-08-2003 13:12

thats very true HarryX.

but youv'e to watch out for so many things when your driving without having to see all the idiots slam on as they approach a speed camara.

HarryX 29-08-2003 13:16

When they slam on they slow down to the speed your legally doing.. So no problem :)

As someone who drives a 2 litre Diesal Astra I can safely say that driving at 30mph is a royal PITA!

adi 29-08-2003 13:45

i know HarryX - but your instant reaction is to brake aswell.

as for the speed camera's themselves - do you not think that half of them are in pointless places?

such as the one near Oswaldtwistle Mill - i mean even when the Mills is semi-busy its a nightmare getting on the Car Park so the traffic on the main road is less than 30 mph anyway - so what's the point in the camera being there?

HarryX 29-08-2003 13:51

Yeagh I have seen daft ones and I ahve seen really dangerous ones as well.. Such as just round a bend.. If your going with the flow of traffic (speeders excuse) and the car in front goes around a sharp bend and sees the camera he will automatically slam on before even checking his speed... Your next round the bend and WHAM!

On the way to Burscough last season.. through country lanes.... I rounded a sharp bend and slammed on when I saw it... Good job there was nowt behind me..

On the whole though... Keep to legal speeds.. know your speed.. and nothing wrong IMHO

adi 29-08-2003 13:55

know exactly what you mean.

i think most 'sensible drivers' can admit to driving over the speed limit at some point during the week though.

myself included!
:)

HarryX 29-08-2003 13:58

My wife or eldest tend to keep an eye on me... tell me when I go over...

I wasn't suggesting I don't do it.. Only that its hard to complain about speed cameras if the answer is stay legal and there not so much of a problem..

I dont think people should drink to access... But I do hehehe NOT driving.. sheesh.. I mean I can say things are wrong even though I do them :) IYSWIM

adi 29-08-2003 14:08

i knew what you meant HarryX - i wasnt taking it out of context.

im just not a fan of the Zero Tolerance brigade who say that if your driving at 32mph then youve broken the law and three points on your licence with an added bonus of a £60 fine.

i just think that the majority of speed camera's are to catch unsuspecting motorists rather than to reduce the number of accidents etc.

:)

HarryX 29-08-2003 14:26

haa zero tollerance is a different story...

I am not apposed to speed cameras to be honest.. However I read recently about the limits they set on them and how it started as (example 30mph area) 40 then 35 and then 32 and some areas its now anythign over 30.. I think there should be some leeway...

After all the object is to slow people down and make the roads safer.. not get as many speeders as you can :(

adi 29-08-2003 15:11

thats true HarryX.

but whilst they are raking in so much money i cant see it changing.

in fact we are probably going to see a lot more pop up in the coming months/years.
:(

Caz 30-08-2003 09:51

Seems to me that they are placed to produce the most revenue, not necessarily where there have been accidents, or there is the potential for them.

Where I live there is a strange 3 way junction, and cars come speeding round there like there's no tomorrow. I can hear them screeching to a halt constantly. Can't believe there hasn't been a bad accident there yet.  >:(

Caz 30-08-2003 10:01

Who has the finally say about these cameras and where they go anyway? Is it the Police or local councils?

littlemo 31-08-2003 21:04

I think they should be banned and all the money spent on them put into increase the size of the police force, not all accidents are caused by speeding!