Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 13:25   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool 30 =27

Driving up Pole Lane in Darwen the other day I was confronted with an illuminated sign on the left side of the road that showed “27mph” and words to the effect of ‘thank you for keeping to the speed limit’. I can’t remember the exact words because I was concentrating on not hitting a parked car and avoiding doing the same to cars come towards me.

I was doing exactly 30 mph at the time as was shown on my speedo. So if proof was ever needed that traffic speed equipment is set to give a small allowance (+10%) on the actual speed then this has to be it.

Must have a trip down the road one day to see it targets traffic coming down the road as well.

I wonder what would happen if I drove faster than about 33 mph? I wonder what the wording would be? Maybe a copper would leap out from behind a car brandishing a radar gun?
Old 02-05-2007, 13:41   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: 30 =27

Could the sign have been right and your speedo wrong? Tempted to get Busman to drive me over there to see what it says to us.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 13:46   #3
God Member

Speedos are notorious for being inaccurate always overstating your speed. The most accurate method of checking is by using a GPS system as these have <1% error

They are also not linear in their inaccuracy, e.g. in my volvo teh following happens

Actual speed(GPS) vs Speedo
30 32
40 44
50 53
60 62
70 77
80 87
Cough Cough plus some

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 13:56   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 30 =27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Could the sign have been right and your speedo wrong? Tempted to get Busman to drive me over there to see what it says to us.
Of course it could but not very likely on a car just one year old with less than 2,000 miles on the clock.

However if my speedo is wrong then I now know by how much – er more or less.
Old 02-05-2007, 14:02   #5
Resident Waffler

It's good to know that the speedo overcompensates which means you are less likely to fall foul of the law.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 14:21   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Of course it could but not very likely on a car just one year old with less than 2,000 miles on the clock.
As I mentioned, they are inaccurate and teh manufacturers make sure ther are optimistic so they don't get sued by irate motorists caught speeding when their speedo said they weren't

Old 02-05-2007, 16:29   #7
Senior Member+

yeah i've flown past a few speed cameras at certain speeds adn got nothing thru

mind u at times i've been flashed at and got nothing thru
Old 02-05-2007, 16:37   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:

A traffic policeman friend of mine once told me that speedos are wrong on all cars and are usually 2-3mph above the speed you are actually doing. As Entwisi said, this is probably a car manufacturer's way of covering themselves.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 18:13   #9
God Member

richard lives in darwen, we where driving through Bolton the other day and they have loads of these new speed thingies
Old 02-05-2007, 18:18   #10
God Member

The coppers over here will usually give you 10 to 15k/h over the limit ... even more if they are munching on a triple chocolate donut. We have the "speed thingies" too. Good for checking how accurate your speedometer is and that's about all.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 19:08   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
not very likely on a car just one year old with less than 2,000 miles on the clock.
Your speedo will definitely be out. They all are.
The accuracy of you speedo also depends on the amount of wear on your tyres. The more worn they are the faster your car will think it is going.
Old 02-05-2007, 19:45   #12

neil thats crap
Old 02-05-2007, 20:25   #13
God Member

its not to be fair, not massively but it does have an effect

<geek mode on>

take a car with 15" wheels and 205/65 tyres, teh overall diameter of a new tyre is

15*25.4 = 381mm

add teh 'height of the tyre (205/100*65) =133.25

=514.25mm

Circumferance of a 'new tyre therfore is Pi(d) =1615.564021805mm

now a tyre has 8mm of tread when new, 1.6mm when worn so a diff of 6.4mm this is doubled as it affects both 'sides' so it become (514.25-12.8)Pi = 1575.351635847

so a difference of 30mm for each and every revolution. or in percentage format

1575.351635847/1615.564021805 *100 = 97.51 % so a difference of 2.49%

<geek mode off>

Old 04-05-2007, 13:28   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
neil thats crap
I would explain why but Ian did it for me, thanks mate. You can of course explain why my statement was wrong if you like.
Tyre pressure can also effect you speedo as can vehicle loading. I did not say it would effect it a lot but 2.5% is quite a bit.
It would be worth checking you car has the correct tyres on it. I bought a car a few years ago that had the wrong profile tyre on that made quite a big difference to the speed displayed.
Old 09-05-2007, 21:25   #15

the police want to put the time to something else in stead of booking motorist
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..