Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn to be axed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburn-to-be-axed-31135.html)

garinda 28-10-2007 19:51

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 485877)
Yes they do, because the borough has to sell itself to to the outside world...which is so much easier if it has a familiar name instead of a totally anonymous one!

As stated earlier, an area could be called Stinking Sewersville-on-Sea, and could still be easily promoted if the area had something worthwhile to offer, and if the people doing it had even the vaguest idea of what they were doing.

WillowTheWhisp 29-10-2007 06:02

And so much easier if it doesn't have a familiar name which people like to ridicule? I'm sick of the number of times I hear people say "Accrington Stanley - who are they? Exactly!"

It's about time the local residents stopped referring to the River Stink. Wouldn't it be good if our river was made a feature of the town as was suggested in a certain document not long ago? (Wonder where they got the idea from?)

Ianto.W. 29-10-2007 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 486000)
And so much easier if it doesn't have a familiar name which people like to ridicule? I'm sick of the number of times I hear people say "Accrington Stanley - who are they? Exactly!"

It's about time the local residents stopped referring to the River Stink. Wouldn't it be good if our river was made a feature of the town as was suggested in a certain document not long ago? (Wonder where they got the idea from?)

Throughout my childhood40s 50s the colour of the river Hyndburn was governed by the dye being used at the print works, the smell was obnoxious and the banks strewn with household rubbish. If you fell in and got a mouth full it could be fatal, it was very dangerous as the banks were all clay and the river was mostly ubculverted and open to the elements. Most of the town centre is now culverted. The Stink it is and the River Stink it will remain in my memory.

WillowTheWhisp 29-10-2007 16:40

This isn't the 40s and 50s though and there are no dyes going into the river so it doesn't have the multi coloured pongs of days gone by. That was over half a century ago. We've moved on. There is no longer a need for it to be hidden.

MargaretR 29-10-2007 16:46

If uncovered it would be nice as a tourist attraction but there wouldn't any town centre left since it goes straight through the middle :rolleyes:
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...iver-3235.html

steeljack 29-10-2007 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 486119)
Throughout my childhood40s 50s the colour of the river Hyndburn was governed by the dye being used at the print works, the smell was obnoxious and the banks strewn with household rubbish. If you fell in and got a mouth full it could be fatal, it was very dangerous as the banks were all clay and the river was mostly ubculverted and open to the elements. Most of the town centre is now culverted. The Stink it is and the River Stink it will remain in my memory.

Visions of swards/swath (sp) of green lawns and swans , sounds like a chocolate box lid ..........tho I don't give the swans much of a chance , they'd be eaten by all the eastern European immigrents who work slave labour hours at that place in Church :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WillowTheWhisp 29-10-2007 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 486192)
If uncovered it would be nice as a tourist attraction but there wouldn't any town centre left since it goes straight through the middle :rolleyes:
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...iver-3235.html

Ah but that's where most people are under a misapprehension. There's a bit just asking to be developed as a tourist attraction and quite central too.

Wynonie Harris 29-10-2007 18:54

The area around the bottom of Grange Lane and on that point, Willow, I totally agree with you!

Ianto.W. 29-10-2007 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 486224)
Visions of swards/swath (sp) of green lawns and swans , sounds like a chocolate box lid ..........tho I don't give the swans much of a chance , they'd be eaten by all the eastern European immigrents who work slave labour hours at that place in Church :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That place at church is ironicly named the Berlin Wall, very appropriate.:D

claytonender 29-10-2007 20:15

There are also other areas of Hyndburn, where the River Hyndburn passes through what could be developed as very pleasant countryside.

WillowTheWhisp 29-10-2007 23:14

Yes but that bit at the bottom of Grange Lane could be a lovely town centre attraction in the summer - might draw some visitors and then we might get some posh shops and who knows where it might end.

garinda 30-10-2007 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 486254)
The area around the bottom of Grange Lane and on that point, Willow, I totally agree with you!

Is that the infamous river Hyndburn?

My God, it's the size of a brook!

I don't think it'll be able to be developed for too much tourism.

I can't see crowds of Japanese sailing on a bateau-mouche, enjoying the sights of Hyndburn by night, on it.

garinda 01-11-2007 22:58

According to this weekends Observer Graham Jones is personally in favour of the proposed name change. Though offically the local Labour party are remaining undecided until they know the full cost.

This is why I'm not affiliated to any political party. There's good and bad on both sides.

Although he posted way back in this thread, it would be interesting to read Graham's reasons for supporting the change...besides him being from Accrington, that is.

katex 01-11-2007 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 487527)
According to this weekends Observer Graham Jones is personally in favour of the proposed name change. Though offically the local Labour party are remaining undecided until they know the full cost.

This is why I'm not affiliated to any political party. There's good and bad on both sides.

Although he posted way back in this thread, it would be interesting to read Graham's reasons for supporting the change...besides him being from Accrington, that is.

Me too Garinda .. got the impression he was not offering any sort of persuasion either way until he had more of the financial costs, which I haven't seen forthcoming as yet :(

thomas.lee 02-11-2007 11:29

Why Accrington & District? Its awful! I will certainly not be telling anyone I live in the district of Accrington & District =/. I will always use the name Hyndburn =) And hope everyone else does too. Saying I live in a part of Accrington is rather shameful. Im a proud Ossy' lad =)

Oswaldtwistle & District maybe?