Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   At Last Something Like A Proper Sentence. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/at-last-something-like-a-proper-sentence-31843.html)

SPUGGIE J 05-07-2007 12:10

Re: At Last Something Like A Proper Sentence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 444679)
The American system does not seem to have had any positive effect in that country. Detroit regularly has more murders than the whole of Canada ... and probably the whole of England. What people seem to want is a little bit of death penalty for the crimes that disgust, shock, and frighten, but not in other murders ... scum killing scum for eg. Won't work. Pretty soon it will get like Texas (home of you know who) where they want to fry them all.

The appeal system in the USA drags it out so long that they can live quite happily knowing it will be a good few years before they fry get the needle or whatever else they use. These people will live longer in the system than on the streets and they know it. If the person is found guilty and the proof is 101% then do it in a week. There may be times when its appropriate and under certain circumstances that it has to be done but let it be with no possible after effects. The scum kill scum senario is proberly true but any life is sacrid and shouldnt be taken. There cant be one rule for one set and one for another set as seems to be where ever you go.

blazey 05-07-2007 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 444604)
Less knows the answer to that, no you can't that is another law that has been repealed, as I believe has piracy I think that was another one folk could be hung for until recently, (but if I'm wrong and it's still on the statutes forgive me).

I'm honestly not quite sure either, the Act that the death penalty was in was repealed in the 50's at some point but some websites that aren't official ones still say its law. I couldn't possibly make a guess on it but I reckon that it would be a possibility. I think national interest for the death of the monarch still would be the death sentence, but I don't know.

I wouldn't even know where to look for it as the act it did exist in doesnt exist anymore, so where would it possibly be? Maybe they'd create an emergency section under the terrorism act for it if the situation arose ;)

blazey 05-07-2007 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 444713)
The appeal system in the USA drags it out so long that they can live quite happily knowing it will be a good few years before they fry get the needle or whatever else they use. These people will live longer in the system than on the streets and they know it. If the person is found guilty and the proof is 101% then do it in a week. There may be times when its appropriate and under certain circumstances that it has to be done but let it be with no possible after effects. The scum kill scum senario is proberly true but any life is sacrid and shouldnt be taken. There cant be one rule for one set and one for another set as seems to be where ever you go.

Lol you just reminded me of that lad who survived the electric chair the first time round. Even though they'd badly damaged him he still had to go in the chair the next year and it worked that time ;)

cashman 05-07-2007 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444717)
I'm honestly not quite sure either, the Act that the death penalty was in was repealed in the 50's at some point but some websites that aren't official ones still say its law. I couldn't possibly make a guess on it but I reckon that it would be a possibility. I think national interest for the death of the monarch still would be the death sentence, but I don't know.

I wouldn't even know where to look for it as the act it did exist in doesnt exist anymore, so where would it possibly be? Maybe they'd create an emergency section under the terrorism act for it if the situation arose ;)

so i'm still no wiser?;) still wondering.:)

Eric 05-07-2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 444727)
so i'm still no wiser?;) still wondering.:)

I think this is the human condition:) And not a bad thing.

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 13:49

It is very hard to demonstrate that killing is wrong by killing the killer.....now i've written it I am not sure that it makes sense.....someone tell me they know what I mean...please!

KIPAX 05-07-2007 14:33

margeret you have said it perfectly correctly. killing is wrong. killing as a punishment is wrong. having the ability to sit in an office and make up a law saying its OK to ahve the death penalty doesn't make it right.

blazey 05-07-2007 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444736)
It is very hard to demonstrate that killing is wrong by killing the killer.....now i've written it I am not sure that it makes sense.....someone tell me they know what I mean...please!

I understand what you mean :p

And KIPAX it doesn't necessarily make it right to just add a new law but then I dont agree with the terrorist laws either as i think the problem is that 'terrorist' isnt defined properly in the statute so anyone can be labelled as one and their rights taken away.

Also with the recent terrorists being NHS doctors (alledgedly at least) it makes you wonder exact what their motives were. Perhaps the argument in that book that it creates martyrs is true, I mean, I dont condone the methods they used to get the attention of the media but what if the cause they did it for was a good one? Other protesters do violent things, for example PETA attack animal testing labs and those involved quite often, are they now terrorists aswell?

Protesting and terrorism is beginning to have dangerous overlaps and it restricts alot of the freedoms we think we have. I wouldn't dare join a protest now for fear of being arrested due to being involved in something that may happen to be catagorised as terrorism without realising it.

blazey 05-07-2007 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 444747)
margeret you have said it perfectly correctly. killing is wrong. killing as a punishment is wrong. having the ability to sit in an office and make up a law saying its OK to ahve the death penalty doesn't make it right.

Its not necessarily wrong if it did show to have benefits but the fact of the matter is that its one big contradiction to kill someone because they killed. It makes decent people as bad as them in effect.

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 17:17

PETA may claim to have the highest of motives but their methods of protest make them worse than the people the allegedly deplore. Yes, I would class that alongside terrorism.

KIPAX 05-07-2007 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444778)
I understand what you mean :p

And KIPAX it doesn't necessarily make it right to just add a new law t.

I know. thats what I said.

blazey 05-07-2007 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 444780)
PETA may claim to have the highest of motives but their methods of protest make them worse than the people the allegedly deplore. Yes, I would class that alongside terrorism.

But then doesnt this broadly define what terrorism is? They break into places, trash labs, leave nasty letters etc.
Cant split up partners do these sort of things to eachother aswell when theyre holding a grudge (just an example) It is the same type of situation, protesting about animals or protesting about ending the relationship, trashing either types of property and causing 'terror'.

It seems all too easy for the term to get too broad and the act to be used to widely against people.

KIPAX 05-07-2007 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444779)
Its not necessarily wrong if it did show to have benefits but the fact of the matter is that its one big contradiction to kill someone because they killed. It makes decent people as bad as them in effect.

In other words you agree with what margaret and I said.. but you wanted to be long winded about it...

blazey 05-07-2007 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 444786)
I know. thats what I said.

Yes it was an agreement with you but I went on to say more on top of it, you must've just read it wrong :D

blazey 05-07-2007 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 444788)
In other words you agree with what margaret and I said.. but you wanted to be long winded about it...

Is a sentence long winded? whats your problem lol.

garinda 05-07-2007 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444778)
Other protesters do violent things, for example PETA attack animal testing labs and those involved quite often, are they now terrorists aswell?

They have been since 2005, and people have been charged as such.

Terror laws will apply to animal rights lobby - Times Online

blazey 05-07-2007 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 444802)
They have been since 2005, and people have been charged as such.

Terror laws will apply to animal rights lobby - Times Online

I have never heard anyone define a PETA campaign as terrorism thats all. I mean in wording, as in, I haven't heard on the news a campaigner called a terrorist for trashing a lab or anything.
I know protesters already fall into the act as there was a documentary on it the other week.

Just dont tend to hear people call Peta terrorists :p

garinda 05-07-2007 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444811)

Just dont tend to hear people call Peta terrorists :p

You tend to, about the ones that send dirty bombs to the families of people who work in laboratories which use animals.

Or people like Donald Currie.

Animal rights militant admits bomb offences - Independent Online Edition > Crime

blazey 05-07-2007 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 444817)
You tend to, about the ones that send dirty bombs to the families of people who work in laboratories which use animals.

Or people like Donald Currie.

Animal rights militant admits bomb offences - Independent Online Edition > Crime

I think of PETA as extremist animal protesters, not terrorists. They have more of a purpose to their actions than your stereotypical terrorist who just wants to cause terror and nothing else. I dont agree with what peta stand for anyway but I just dont regard them as a terrorist, as their purpose has a bit more depth than that.

If that makes sense :)

cashman 05-07-2007 18:31

not really with you on that Extremeism is Extremeism whatever the aim.

blazey 05-07-2007 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 444840)
not really with you on that Extremeism is Extremeism whatever the aim.

Terrorists don't tend to be trying to make a particular statement other than wanting to be martyrs of some sort.
Extremeists tend to be imposing their views on everyone else in radical ways.

Thats my diffrentiation anyway. It doesn't really have set definitions agreed by everyone anyway as I said earlier.

Extremeism isn't necessarily terrorism as u can be extremeist about something without the violence, i.e extremist/fundamentalist catholicism doesnt necessarily use violent methods to get their point across.

cashman 05-07-2007 18:38

thought the terrorist statement was "Kill The Infidels":p

blazey 05-07-2007 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 444847)
thought the terrorist statement was "Kill The Infidels":p

They don't really have much of a reason for doing it though, no set motives or reasonings behind what they do. They just aim to cause 'terror' amongst the rest of society.
Extremeists usually have a set purpose, reasons, justifications, the lot.

Less 05-07-2007 18:46

What a load of bog this thread has descended to...:o

panther 05-07-2007 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 444854)
What a load of bog this thread has descended to...:o

was thinking that meself:rolleyes:

Eric 05-07-2007 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444850)
They don't really have much of a reason for doing it though, no set motives or reasonings behind what they do. They just aim to cause 'terror' amongst the rest of society.

Of course terrorists have reasons for what they do. Otherwise they would be merely sociopaths. Nor are their motives random, or is reasoning absent. What people tend to object to is not only the terror, but also the motives behind it. I do believe, altho' I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check, that it was Henry Kissinger who observed "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

cashman 05-07-2007 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444850)

ah but they do i think,to me right n wrong is determind by the Law of the Land. some fools say its determind by the bible,if we go down that line,then the radicals believe its ok to Be-head people, this aint an anti-religion comment from a non- believer,its commonsense.

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 19:09

I read one story today about a chap who raped a young girl and he is being deported back to Pakistan.......now that is what I call realistic treatment.

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 19:11

And how did this thread get to be about extremists...be they muslim or Peta?
I thought it was about the Judiciary dishing out sentences. Did I miss something along the way?

Eric 05-07-2007 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444864)
And how did this thread get to be about extremists...be they muslim or Peta?
I thought it was about the Judiciary dishing out sentences. Did I miss something along the way?

I think maybe it has something to do with including all of those types that for some reason people would like to see dangling from a rope. But there again murder in itself is a little extreme.:confused:

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 19:51

I would think that most criminals or for that matter terrorists "believe" that they have very good reasons for carrying out their crimes; eg "the voices told me to do it", "Allah told me to do it", " I needed the money" , "she was asking for it" etc etc etc. Surely the problem arises when these individuals are so distanced from reality that they actually believe their reason is a totallly acceptable one and then go on to commit their crimes.?

Stanaccy 05-07-2007 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 444832)
I think of PETA as extremist animal protesters, not terrorists. They have more of a purpose to their actions than your stereotypical terrorist who just wants to cause terror and nothing else. I dont agree with what peta stand for anyway but I just dont regard them as a terrorist, as their purpose has a bit more depth than that.

If that makes sense :)

Methinks one has PETA confused wit the ALF.

PETA was the organisation that had the campaign of rather go nude than wear fur.

Stanaccy 05-07-2007 20:05

And to go slightly back on track :).

THe death sentence has never been a useful deterent as once one has killed they are more likely to kill again as where is the deterent then. You can't kill anybody more than once (not yet anyway).

Also in cases of extreme terrorism the thought of martyrdom is quite an appealing thought.

Eric 05-07-2007 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanaccy (Post 444882)
And to go slightly back on track :).

THe death sentence has never been a useful deterent as once one has killed they are more likely to kill again as where is the deterent then. You can't kill anybody more than once (not yet anyway).

Also in cases of extreme terrorism the thought of martyrdom is quite an appealing thought.

Don't worry, the Americans are working on ways to execute people more than once. They already give multiple murderers multiple life sentences. Now they have to find a way of keeping them alive to serve the 300 years or so they have been sentenced to. There is always hanging, drawing, and quartering thing. That is pretty close to killing someone more than once. Much more fun to watch than reality tv.:behead:

Margaret Pilkington 05-07-2007 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 444879)
I would think that most criminals or for that matter terrorists "believe" that they have very good reasons for carrying out their crimes; eg "the voices told me to do it", "Allah told me to do it", " I needed the money" , "she was asking for it" etc etc etc. Surely the problem arises when these individuals are so distanced from reality that they actually believe their reason is a totallly acceptable one and then go on to commit their crimes.?

Rationalisation and denial are two of the ways that these people cope with their crimes...although in the case of terrorists I think it is more a situation of imposing their will on the population, using violent means.If terrorists all wore army uniforms then we would be able to defend ourselves against them.....but they don't...and that is what makes defence so difficult........and Just because they believe in something doesn't make it true.

Margaret Pilkington 06-07-2007 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444912)
Rationalisation and denial are two of the ways that these people cope with their crimes...although in the case of terrorists I think it is more a situation of imposing their will on the population, using violent means.If terrorists all wore army uniforms then we would be able to defend ourselves against them.....but they don't...and that is what makes defence so difficult........and Just because they believe in something doesn't make it true.

I do not know who it was who gave me Karma for this post....but it is my practice to thank the givers of Karma...however, I do not know who you are so I have say 'Thank you' here. Thank you anonymous donor...much appreciated.

Rosebud 06-07-2007 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 444912)
and Just because they believe in something doesn't make it true.

Just interested to ask- what is it you feel 'they' believe that isnt true.

blazey 07-07-2007 11:33

I think if they want to die for their cause and prove a point then I'm ok with that even if it kills innocent people but it's a bit unfair of them to keep on doing it without making it clear what it is they actually want.

How are you meant to solve the problem if they don't say what the problem is? I always thought martyrs normally fought for their beliefs first and voiced it and THEN died for the cause if they were not getting the point across as successfully as they wanted to.

This new experience for british people of people trying to achieve martyrdom for no clarified reason makes it difficult for people to comprehend and solve. The problem is that its not solely a muslim thing, as the majority of them despise it aswell.

I meet a few people who say 'its a war against the whites' but how can that be true? The bombs have killed people even from the bombers own faiths, you cant make a bomb just hit one race of people, they've claimed the lives of many different races of people.

Margaret Pilkington 07-07-2007 12:48

Don't know Rosebud, it is just a quote that I found somewhere.....nothing more, nothing less.
Signatures don't have to mean anything specific.....sorry for the thread wander.
And Blazey I think that last post is in the wrong thread :0

Margaret Pilkington 07-07-2007 14:27

sorry Rosebud....I misinterpreted your question there. I thought you were referring to my signature......which is, very much like what you asked (not exactly...but very like it). I was referring to the belief of terrorists to be ridding the world of infidels. Anyone who is not muslim is considered to be an infidel.
And I didn't state as a fact that it wasn't true........I said 'just because they believe in something doesn't make it true'.......maybe I am splitting hairs here but I think it is different.

cashman 07-07-2007 15:28

dont think yer splitting hairs margaret, i understood what you meant.

Rosebud 07-07-2007 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 445554)
sorry Rosebud....I misinterpreted your question there. I thought you were referring to my signature......which is, very much like what you asked (not exactly...but very like it). I was referring to the belief of terrorists to be ridding the world of infidels. Anyone who is not muslim is considered to be an infidel.
And I didn't state as a fact that it wasn't true........I said 'just because they believe in something doesn't make it true'.......maybe I am splitting hairs here but I think it is different.

Thanks for the clarification Margaret.

Rosebud 07-07-2007 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 445592)
dont think yer splitting hairs margaret, i understood what you meant.

Thats why you didn't ask the question and I did.

Margaret Pilkington 08-07-2007 11:20

You are very welcome Rosebud.....as someone who thinks no question is dumb(it's only dumb not to ask if you don't know)...it wasn't a problem :)