Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   10 year old drowns (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/10-year-old-drowns-33675.html)

SPUGGIE J 21-09-2007 12:10

10 year old drowns

Just heard on the news that a 10 year old kid drowned in a pond while two police community support officers stoud by and let it happen. The excuse given was that they were not trained for this kind of incident. What happened to human instinct are they banned from using it? It is sickening that the stood and let it happen. They should be charged for criminal negligence at least. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad:

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Police defend drowning death case

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2007 12:15

Re: 10 year old drowns

Apparently they might have lost their job if they'd dived in. How ludicrous. So it's better that a child loses his life just in case that by rescuing him the CSOs might lose their job.

SPUGGIE J 21-09-2007 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 472710)
Apparently they might have lost their job if they'd dived in. How ludicrous. So it's better that a child loses his life just in case that by rescuing him the CSOs might lose their job.

There would be a good chance that if they had made the effort and then faced sacking the community would have got behind them. Is a job now more important than life because if it is we are in a mess. If I was sacked for saving or try to save a life I would hold my head high.

***Mr D*** 21-09-2007 12:22

They should of jumped in if they felt confident enough to perform a rescue.

I saw something like this once on Booze Britan where someone fell into a river, the police on the scene again didnt jump in as they where not equipt propertly and could of cause more problems then help.
They had to wait for the fire brigade.

Aparantly it is still possible to revive someone upto half an hour later if the water is cold enough.

My condolances go to the childs family.

kathleen_firth 21-09-2007 12:33

i would of lost my job rather than watch a child die

flashy 21-09-2007 13:08

here here Kathleen, no job is worth losing the life of a child (if that made sense)

i know what i mean in mi head :D

BERNADETTE 21-09-2007 13:33

What are they made of? Any normal human being would have just tried to rescue the child. They must be void of any feelings. Deepest Sympathy to this little boys family.

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2007 13:44

Passers by managed to rescue the girl. Surely these CSOs should have tried to do the same for the boy.

WillowTheWhisp 21-09-2007 13:46

Now I'm seeing things! I just saw 3 copies of my post so sent a report to mods asking for two to be deleted and now there's only 1. No mod could have deleted them that quickly!!!

Margaret Pilkington 21-09-2007 13:49

I'm sure it would have been an automatic response for most people to jump in and help the boy......I could not have stood by and see a child drown...i would rather take my chance.

SPUGGIE J 21-09-2007 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 472735)
Passers by managed to rescue the girl. Surely these CSOs should have tried to do the same for the boy.

I wonder if a prerequisite is not to have any humanity at all or they have it "knocked out of em". The passers by were not trained but still made the effort. Priorities are all wrong!!

cashman 21-09-2007 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 472738)
Now I'm seeing things! I just saw 3 copies of my post so sent a report to mods asking for two to be deleted and now there's only 1. No mod could have deleted them that quickly!!!

similar happened to me last night lol, as for those community support officers, i hope the locals give the spineless gets hell.:mad:

Stanleymad 21-09-2007 16:05

Actually its because of duty of care that they didnt, in law precidence has already been set where someone doing a good deed like saving someone actually was done criminally for duty of care even though they only tried to save someone. Legally u help or try to get involved & it doesn't go right or failure, the basic human instinct to help can become a criminal act - stangely, because u take the responsiblity for it.

Something i learnt in law about this type of thing in the duty of care legality. CSO's or any persons employed would be warned about taking something on without training or permission for this reason, so hence why could be deemed sackable.

MargaretR 21-09-2007 16:08

They should not have been playing there in the first place!!!!!
Who is his mother to complain --alleging neglect?

lindsay ormerod 21-09-2007 16:14

The report I read said there was no sign of the boy when the PCSO's got there. Basically they are powerless police without the training a police officer would have had.
It's a bit pointless laying blame now and no-one knows how they would react in this kind of situation unless it happens to them.:(