Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   New Tesco Store (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/new-tesco-store-33947.html)

SPUGGIE J 09-07-2008 08:58

Re: New Tesco Store

Is there not likely to be uproar from those who are electrical retailers already her that they couldn't compete? Change in the town will be good but at what expense?

panther 09-07-2008 09:12

I cant wait for it to open:D....will be a change from Asda, since that shop is getting very expensive:rolleyes:

There will be a price war between em both:D

MargaretR 09-07-2008 09:39

When I do my online grocery shopping, I use the comparison site - MySupermarket.
It depends on what you are buying, but for me, Tesco always works out a few pounds cheaper than Asda.

entwisi 09-07-2008 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 604210)
Is there not likely to be uproar from those who are electrical retailers already her that they couldn't compete? Change in the town will be good but at what expense?

What electrical retailers in town? We don't have a dixons, currys, comet, etc. just cryers for panasonic and the cheap shop for refurb LCDs. Only other place is Argos who are tesco like so let them fight for it!

WillowTheWhisp 09-07-2008 10:02

There's Cryers. They have decent tellys.

panther 09-07-2008 10:11

woolies sell some electrical stuff but not much, surprised they havent started selling big LCD/plasma tvs

BERNADETTE 09-07-2008 10:14

If you want to view before you buy and don't shop on-line you have to go out of town to buy most large items. I had to go to Whitebirk for a new cooker hardly ideal for someone who doesn't drive!!!

Gayle 09-07-2008 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 604094)

In the end only a kamikaze pilot would have turned it down because it was unwinable (with a costly defeat in prospect). In an ideal world we should be able to say no to almost anything and not have to be held to account by people (or big business) outside of the Borough. That would be true democracy but no party has (or is currently) in favour of that.

This is an interesting point because I think one of the reasons why Accrington has gone down hill is because of people saying 'no' all the time. The local Chamber of Trade or Shopkeepers Forum (whatever they're called - I can't remember) seem to be up in arms about stuff all the time. If they'd been saying yes then possibly there would be more things going on in the town centre. The only way to get investment into the town centre is to drag it in other retailers and create some competition.

Now, I realise that people are nervous about a Tesco taking their trade but let's face it, if you're going to shop in a supermarket you're already in Asda each week anyway.

What has to happen is that the town centre team has to capitalise on this and use it to draw other retailers in and to encourage business to thrive in the area.

entwisi 09-07-2008 11:40

I agree Gayle, the council and shopkeepers need to ride on the wave of interest that this will generate to show their worth against teh ASDAs and TESCOs of this world.

Royboy39 09-07-2008 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 604283)
This is an interesting point because I think one of the reasons why Accrington has gone down hill is because of people saying 'no' all the time. The local Chamber of Trade or Shopkeepers Forum (whatever they're called - I can't remember) seem to be up in arms about stuff all the time. If they'd been saying yes then possibly there would be more things going on in the town centre. The only way to get investment into the town centre is to drag it in other retailers and create some competition.

Now, I realise that people are nervous about a Tesco taking their trade but let's face it, if you're going to shop in a supermarket you're already in Asda each week anyway.

What has to happen is that the town centre team has to capitalise on this and use it to draw other retailers in and to encourage business to thrive in the area.

The council probably draw in more money from major supermarkets than they do from say.......all the revenue paid by Market Traders and the like.
Local traders will always struggle against the Supermarkets because of buying power.
Unless masssive incentives are offered and, more important ongoing trade, to make it sustainable it will be very difficult to attract anyone.

Gayle 09-07-2008 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 604294)
Unless masssive incentives are offered and, more important ongoing trade, to make it sustainable it will be very difficult to attract anyone.

I agree but if there's any time to do this, now is that time.

cashman 09-07-2008 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 604294)
The council probably draw in more money from major supermarkets than they do from say.......all the revenue paid by Market Traders and the like.
Local traders will always struggle against the Supermarkets because of buying power.

thats been happening fer years royboy, there has been no real incentive to the big name stores to venture into accy, so therefore they aint, maybe,just maybe the authority will wake up in the advent of the new tesco, if they don't, then its same as always been.

lancsdave 09-07-2008 18:58

The main problem with a lot of town centres now is that they are all the same, there's no choice. Maybe the money the council take from Tesco's could be used to generate an incentive scheme where retailers can offer something different and making Accy a place for people to have a change.

Mind you they might need a border patrol round the town centre to keep some of those out that now frequent it :rolleyes:

g jones 09-07-2008 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 604283)

I agree Gayle. In general we may end up pandering to backward thinking.

I was thinking of off-licenses, planning. Having a kebab shop of 'offy' plonked in a quiet residential area because national law says so removes power from ordinary people.

I felt that Tesco's was not a choice because of national planning policies. In all likelood, The Council Tax payer would have lost a lot of money. Laws have been tightened to empower local communities but not enough in this case.

If it had been purely a local decision I don't know which way I would have voted because supermarkets are unethical companies. However the vast majority of people in Peel Ward would be in favour and it is their view I am allowed to represent by their support.

I would probably have voted for because i believe the leakage, the amount of extra people shopping in the town because of Tesco's will increase. Also the south side of Blackburn Rd will be transformed into a residential area above the retail and Tesco's will help that transformation in my view.

g jones 09-07-2008 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 604164)
I agree Bernie, it would make sense for multiple entrances, hopefully these are details that aren't yet set in stone.
Personally I am and was always 'for' it as I'm one of those who currently goes out of town to shop ( I absolutely HATE the car park layout at ASDA to teh point that i don't want to shop there). I also believe that it is a chance for teh town centre to get some oomph back. Once people are going into town for whatever reason its then up to the shops and market to make it an enjoyable experience to shop there.

Graham, not sure if this is something teh council could or should get involved with but IMHO some form of 'supermarket trolley' that can be used round the whole of town would be a cracking idea. The only bad part of shopping on the market and in town is that you end up lugging half a hundredweight of veg etc round with you. If we turned the whole of the 'market town' into a true 'Supermarket' with trolley zones by the car parks etc I reckon more peole would be willing to shop at the small stores. ake them "£1" deposit ones or whatever I'd still use one.

I am confused now Enti! Did we have this conversatiion a year ago????:confused:

I have been advocating a change in how we shop including the 'TC trolley' for a while. That includes suitable flooring, suitable locations, co-operation, anti-chav measures (like a £2 coin slot) or £5 deposit at a kiosk.

I also thought a TC 'trolley bus' may be a good idea. I like in San Fran how you hop on and off over a short space. A roof on Broadway for obvious reasons may promote that idea though a town full of colliding trolleys might put some people off. Designer trolleys?? Trolley zones???