Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   So you think your 'Chip & Pin' card is safe (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/so-you-think-your-chip-and-pin-card-is-safe-37537.html)

Neil 06-03-2008 10:14

So you think your 'Chip & Pin' card is safe

Read this and then think again next time you stick your card in the machine. All that money the banks spent to prevent fraud and it can still happen.

jaysay 06-03-2008 10:22

Re: So you think your 'Chip & Pin' card is safe

It really doesn't matter which system they come up with there is always some one who will come up with something to get round it. What always amazes me is why do these people put their brains to good use instead of criminal actions, if they are that clever that they can bet these systems why don't they go straight and make an good and honest living

Neil 06-03-2008 10:29

Maybe they are good honest people.

You have spent too much time around politicians :rolleyes::D

WalkOnBRFC 06-03-2008 11:37

They need to iron out the simple things first for instance.. The Chip & Pin machines in stores. At the moment it is so simple to look at someone entering their Pin Number. They aren't very well covered. If they can't get the basics right then what chance have we hoping they'll get the other stuff right.

cashman 06-03-2008 11:39

as the only one ive ever used is my banks machine, are they encrypted better?:confused:

Benipete 06-03-2008 11:54

The person who stole my money didn't need a pin.He/She just presented a replacement card at the Building Society counter and was allowed to empty my account.

Less 06-03-2008 12:13

Perhaps we will get someone that knows all about everything coming on and telling us this wouldn't happen with LINUX!
:rofl38:

slinky 06-03-2008 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 541483)
The person who stole my money didn't need a pin.He/She just presented a replacement card at the Building Society counter and was allowed to empty my account.

omg, that's awful :( I hope you got it sorted??

Benipete 06-03-2008 13:28

Got the money back but it has taken nearly 3 years to sort the rest of the fraud.Had to do it all myself.The police were no help at all.Not interested!!

jaysay 06-03-2008 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 541442)
Maybe they are good honest people.

You have spent too much time around politicians :rolleyes::D

Ya Neil, but I'm getting withdrawal symptoms now:D

jaysay 06-03-2008 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 541522)
omg, that's awful :( I hope you got it sorted??

I hope he changed his bank:rolleyes:

shillelagh 06-03-2008 17:58

I think i've only used chip and pin once - otherwise i go to the bank and take the money out and pay cash. Dont exactly like chip and pin because there is no way you can hide what numbers you press. At least at the bank i can hide it.

Less 06-03-2008 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 541681)
I think i've only used chip and pin once - otherwise i go to the bank and take the money out and pay cash. Dont exactly like chip and pin because there is no way you can hide what numbers you press. At least at the bank i can hide it.

The Bank I use charge for withdrawels across the counter, if I use the cashmachine, no charge but if I need to draw more than the limit that a cash point allows, I'm charged an extra £3.00 for the pleasure of seeing the person behind the counter, thank goodness these days I'm skint, or I'd be paying out a fortune!

cashman 06-03-2008 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 541772)
The Bank I use charge for withdrawels across the counter, if I use the cashmachine, no charge but if I need to draw more than the limit that a cash point allows, I'm charged an extra £3.00 for the pleasure of seeing the person behind the counter, thank goodness these days I'm skint, or I'd be paying out a fortune!

wasn't aware that happened,which bank would that be?:confused: seems like thin end of the wedge that to me.

Less 06-03-2008 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 541775)
wasn't aware that happened,which bank would that be?:confused: seems like thin end of the wedge that to me.

The same bank one time, (long ago), I was about 30p short of drawing a tenner from the cash machine, Ah, I thought I'll queue up and deposit this 50p, that is enough for me to draw a tenner!

Finally got to the counter, "sorry sir, minimum deposit is £10.00", my explaination that if I had £10, I wouldn't need what was left in the account, that, fell on on deaf and very bored ears.