Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Un Moderated CHAT (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/un-moderated-chat-38115.html)

Reidy 29-03-2008 00:58

Un Moderated CHAT

WHats the laws on un moderated chat rooms like on here???

No one seems to know what can be said, what cant and i think this matter needs to be cleared up with one of the site owners/moderators before it gets way out of hand, people are falling out over whas going on in there and it getting serious i found this information on a UK law website OUT-LAW.COM: IT and e-commerce legal advice and support :

When content is unmoderated, the quality of material posted is difficult to control. The legal advantage, however, is that it is easier to avoid liability for anything that is defamatory, infringing or otherwise unlawful. The only condition is that the operator provides a process for removing offending content expeditiously upon being made aware of it.
In most cases this will involve a clear, easy-to-use facility on the site whereby users can report inappropriate content to the operator. The operator must then have a clear internal process for dealing with complaints received.
We would recommend that operators provide a link on each page of the website which clearly directs users to the process for reporting inappropriate content. Phrases such as "Report Abuse", "Complain about this content" or "Flag as inappropriate" are all commonly used as links. The link should take users to a page where the complaint can be detailed. Some users complain about statements without saying why they are complaining; others fail to specify where the offending content is. As an operator you are allowed to demand clarity in a complaint, which will help you to assess the merits of the complaint, and also reduce the number of spurious complaints.
Many corporate blogs and internal staff blogs will be unmoderated. They should still have a complaint mechanism. It may be appropriate to offer an anonymous complaints page if you think staff will be afraid to report problems out of fear of being seen to be reporting their colleagues.

shillelagh 29-03-2008 01:00

Re: Un Moderated CHAT

If you look in feedback and suggestions in the thread Chat Rules then you will see what Mick has put.

blazey 29-03-2008 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 553391)
If you look in feedback and suggestions in the thread Chat Rules then you will see what Mick has put.

I don't think Mick clarified the law on chat rooms, only forum policy. I don't think policy is above the law, hence why reidy is after more clarification.

slinky 29-03-2008 01:01

Doesn't need moderating, its been sorted!!

Been a very nice night indeed in there tonight.

andrewb 29-03-2008 01:02

The law you're quoting is for 'chat' as in forums it sounds like. I think its different with real time chat. At least i'd assume so because there simply isn't a feature to mod realtime chat easily.

Reidy 29-03-2008 01:04

maybe it has been a nice nite but i think every chat room is covered by law ie MSN closing there chat rooms down!!

Yahoo closing un moderated chats down and so on and so on

People are wondering where do we stand by law?

In america people have been prosecuted in unmoderated chat rooms dor using in appropriate behaviour look on goole you will see loads and im sure no one on this site wants to end up on the wrong side of the law.

It needs to be clear in black and white in the sites rules!!

cherokee 29-03-2008 01:04

Ummm well we,ve had a great night so whats too moderate??
No complaints either ..

Reidy 29-03-2008 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 553394)
The law you're quoting is for 'chat' as in forums it sounds like. I think its different with real time chat. At least i'd assume so because there simply isn't a feature to mod realtime chat easily.

You may well be right there cyfr im not sure but all im trying to say is that someting needs to be put in black and white.

emamum 29-03-2008 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 553393)
Doesn't need moderating, its been sorted!!

Been a very nice night indeed in there tonight.

For you. It has been spoiled for me

blazey 29-03-2008 01:06

Being a family forum you would expect the chat rooms to be moderated for the safety of children who may be targetted on them... yet they aren't.

The chatroom just isn't safe for kids. I myself reported a pervert in the chatroom before, so it's not a case of it just not happening.

Reidy 29-03-2008 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 553396)
Ummm well we,ve had a great night so whats too moderate??
No complaints either ..

Who is complaining?????????? Im not im asking a question that is of value to me! I dont want to end up in trouble with the law!!

Bonnyboy 29-03-2008 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 553394)

Of course there is a feature, if the site cannot moderate over a particular timeframe then the chatroom is not available for the period of that time.

Reidy 29-03-2008 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 553399)
Being a family forum you would expect the chat rooms to be moderated for the safety of children who may be targetted on them... yet they aren't.

The chatroom just isn't safe for kids. I myself reported a pervert in the chatroom before, so it's not a case of it just not happening.

Exactly why other sites have closed un moderated chats!!!

Should it be open just to the over 18's of the site or does it need to have a mod in there while it open?? What is the LAW!

andrewb 29-03-2008 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 553401)
Of course there is a feature, if the site cannot moderate over a particular timeframe then the chatroom is not available for the period of that time.

You can only ban people from the forum though, theres no way to 'remove' whats put on there because it goes straight to the client.

Reidy 29-03-2008 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 553403)
theres no way to 'remove' whats put on there because it goes straight to the client.

The chat room or the forum cyfr???