Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Town Council forms. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/town-council-forms-39290.html)

garinda 13-05-2008 09:22

Re: Town Council forms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 575671)
How mant people read their junk mail:confused:yesterday afternoon I recieved about 5 items they all went in the white bag. You quite often recieve mail just marked to the household, which I never open, It would appear that quite a lot of others do the same, about 76.92% seems about right:rolleyes:

Apparently Jaysay thinks you lot are all to stupid to tell the difference from an offical looking form from the council, and junk mail.:(

AccyLass27, BERNADETTE, carl hurles, cashman, churchman phil, claytonender, davo69, emamum23, K.S.H, katex, lancsboy, Lilly, mick, mthead, nikkival, onlyme, ossylass, shakermaker, sligoman, TreeHugger

BERNADETTE 13-05-2008 09:31

It appears to me that as in the proposed name change fiasco the publics opinion was not really wanted. If the council or some members of it want to introduce town councils they will do it come what may. As the new signs seem to point out the name Hyndburn is slowly but surely disappearing!!!

jaysay 13-05-2008 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 575721)
Apparently Jaysay thinks you lot are all to stupid to tell the difference from an offical looking form from the council, and junk mail.:(

AccyLass27, BERNADETTE, carl hurles, cashman, churchman phil, claytonender, davo69, emamum23, K.S.H, katex, lancsboy, Lilly, mick, mthead, nikkival, onlyme, ossylass, shakermaker, sligoman, TreeHugger

Ah poor Rindi he's spit his dummy out:dummy:

garinda 13-05-2008 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 575765)
Ah poor Rindi he's spit his dummy out:dummy:

Not at all, just suprised that you dismiss so many people as idiots.

People of all political persuassions who weren't give the chance to voice their opinions on this important matter, because of this almighty cock up.

jaysay 13-05-2008 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 575769)
Not at all, just suprised that you dismiss so many people as idiots.

People of all political persuassions who weren't give the chance to voice their opinions on this important matter, because of this almighty cock up.

Its you who called these good people idiots Rindi, I just try to be light hearted, can't seem to take things like this serious, given the fact that it is well known the survays such as this are usually returned by less than 10% of any targeted body, I can't see what all the fuss is about, if people are honest how many would have filled in any questionnaire if they had got one.

garinda 13-05-2008 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 575784)
Its you who called these good people idiots Rindi, I just try to be light hearted, can't seem to take things like this serious, given the fact that it is well known the survays such as this are usually returned by less than 10% of any targeted body, I can't see what all the fuss is about, if people are honest how many would have filled in any questionnaire if they had got one.

Well why did the council make a big song in the press that every home in Hyndburn was to receive a form, and the findings would sway their decision?

It wouldn't have been cheap to do, are you suggesting that HBC are wasting our money?

katex 13-05-2008 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 575784)
given the fact that it is well known the survays such as this are usually returned by less than 10% of any targeted body, I can't see what all the fuss is about, if people are honest how many would have filled in any questionnaire if they had got one.

That point is irrelevant Jaysay, just some people do not appear to have had the chance .. 10% of 40,000 (?) is better than 10% of 15,000 (?). Figures just a guess.

Sent E-Mail to Observer Garinda.

garinda 13-05-2008 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 575794)
That point is irrelevant Jaysay, just some people do not appear to have had the chance .. 10% of 40,000 (?) is better than 10% of 15,000 (?). Figures just a guess.

Sent E-Mail to Observer Garinda.

They just called me for the story, and you were next on the list, as well as others who are livid they never got to have their say on the biggest proposed change in local government since 1974.

Call me old fashioned, but I was brought up to believe that if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Otherwise it's just a waste of resources, ie: time, and in this case time and money, with the end result being pointless, because the information received is flawed because not everyone's opinion seems to count.

katex 13-05-2008 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 575913)
They just called me for the story, and you were next on the list, as well as others who are livid they never got to have their say on the biggest proposed change in local government since 1974.

Yep, had the call Garinda .. :alright: Did he have to ask my age though .. :rolleyes:

garinda 13-05-2008 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 575926)
Yep, had the call Garinda .. :alright: Did he have to ask my age though .. :rolleyes:

Didn't ask mine, unless they have if from last time.:rolleyes:

They may be after you listing your favourite things next week, or the next Hyndburn Honey.:D

You're my honey, and thanks very much for your valuable imput.

katex 13-05-2008 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 575932)

They may be after you listing your favourite things next week,

Yah know, was musing about this myself in the car on my way home from Mez's .. wondering whether I should lie or not to make me sound more intellectual like .. :D

BERNADETTE 13-05-2008 16:51

Yes I've had a phone call and they also asked my age.

garinda 13-05-2008 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 575952)
Yah know, was musing about this myself in the car on my way home from Mez's .. wondering whether I should lie or not to make me sound more intellectual like .. :D

You don't need to lie, you are one smart lady, in every sense of the word.

Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with, by the way?:D

garinda 13-05-2008 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 575954)
Yes I've had a phone call and they also asked my age.

Thanks very much for doing that.

I thought perhaps I was going mad, and it isn't really very important, but it looks like it is.

katex 13-05-2008 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 575957)
Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with, by the way?:D

Why you of course Garinda ... 'cause you would make me laugh to allay my fears and keep me agasp by all your past exploits and confrontations with the famous people you have met .. might even be able to extract a few 'kiss and tell ones' ..:eek:

Otherwise, the delightful, dishy Graham Jones .. >>>>>> awaiteth negative comments from Jaysay ... :D:D

Lilly 13-05-2008 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 575966)

Otherwise, the delightful, dishy Graham Jones .. >>>>>> awaiteth negative comments from Jaysay ... :D:D

Never mind Jaysay, I'll say it..........dishy? :eek:

Oh well, it wouldn't do if we all fancied the same fella, would it? :D

andrewb 13-05-2008 20:06

*flutters eyelids*

katex 13-05-2008 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 576068)
Never mind Jaysay, I'll say it..........dishy? :eek:

Oh well, it wouldn't do if we all fancied the same fella, would it? :D

I know Lilly ... LOL ... always had a strange taste in men :D:D Maybe that's why no permanent fella' now. !

BERNADETTE 13-05-2008 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 576085)
I know Lilly ... LOL ... always had a strange taste in men :D:D Maybe that's why no permanent fella' now. !

Is there a pic of your hearts desire on the site Kate????;)

katex 13-05-2008 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 576092)

Think we better start another thread in the over 18's Bernie .. this thread straying somewhat ... :D:D

BTW .. just asked another neighbour if they got the form .. definite No, No. A top accountant who would definitely have looked carefully at his mail.

Royboy39 13-05-2008 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 576097)
Think we better start another thread in the over 18's Bernie .. this thread straying somewhat ... :D:D

Thank God for that...........;) :dancedog:

Lilly 13-05-2008 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 576092)

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/images/...ress_Photo.jpg

There you go, Bernie.

You be the judge. ;)

BERNADETTE 13-05-2008 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 576101)
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/images/...ress_Photo.jpg

There you go, Bernie.

You be the judge. ;)

Seen a lot worse;)

jaysay 14-05-2008 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 575966)
Why you of course Garinda ... 'cause you would make me laugh to allay my fears and keep me agasp by all your past exploits and confrontations with the famous people you have met .. might even be able to extract a few 'kiss and tell ones' ..:eek:

Me make neative comments kate:eek: I'm cut to the quick:D

garinda 15-05-2008 17:51

Well the Observer has deemed the non-appearance of the forms as newsworthy.

Peter Britcliffe has now scrapped the closed deadline, and residents now have another ten days to give their opinions to the council, about the proposed changes to local government.

Britcliffe is quoted in the paper as saying a private firm are to blame for the vast swathes of residents who never received a form from the council.

I do hope they'll be claiming back the fee paid to this private firm.

I doubt it though. It's only money...our money.

BERNADETTE 15-05-2008 18:02

Anybody wishing to air their views can get a form by ringing 380150 or can fill the form in on the Hyndburn Council Website

andrewb 15-05-2008 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577038)
Well the Observer has deemed the non-appearance of the forms as newsworthy.

Peter Britcliffe has now scrapped the closed deadline, and residents now have another ten days to give their opinions to the council, about the proposed changes to local government.

Britcliffe is quoted in the paper as saying a private firm are to blame for the vast swathes of residents who never received a form from the council.

I do hope they'll be claiming back the fee paid to this private firm.

I doubt it though. It's only money...our money.

I am glad we have tracked down who was to blame. I have filled in my form.

katex 15-05-2008 18:15

The power of Accyweb, eh ?

Am embarassed that Garinda did not get a mention after his hard work, however, if you notice I won the meal at the Calder for two for letter of the week, and would like to invite him to join me please. (Gawd it's like those programmes where they propose marriage in public .... just hope he doesn't turn me down ... :( )

BERNADETTE 15-05-2008 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577060)

Am embarassed that Garinda did not get a mention after his hard work, however, if you notice I won the meal at the Calder for two for letter of the week, and would like to invite him to join me please. (Gawd it's like those programmes where they propose marriage in public .... just hope he doesn't turn me down ... :( )

Read your letter was well impressed, didn't notice you had won the meal, enjoy:mosher:

garinda 15-05-2008 18:22

Quote:

No, I told them I didn't want my name to appear, mainly because I was one of the lucky people who received a form, so it seemed pointless.

As for blame Cyfr, that lies with the idiot at the council who contracted out the delivery of these forms to this firm of cowboys.

garinda 15-05-2008 18:23

Quote:

Oh, I missed the bit about the invite.:o

That is really sweet of you, of course I'd be delighted.:)

katex 15-05-2008 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577067)

Phew .. was on tenterhooks then .. hope the meal is good. Be lovely to hear about the exciting life you lead in London/Glasgow, etc., will look forward to it.. x

Gayle 15-05-2008 19:56

So where's the link on the website - I think I'll give it a go.

Gayle 15-05-2008 20:02

Found it.

katex 16-05-2008 09:11

Eeew, guess what, Nick Collingridge has just been and delivered a form personally to me ! Well, used to deliver me papers every morning so would have been a piece of cake, however, cheers Nick.

jaysay 16-05-2008 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577067)

Is it going to be a church do or Registry office:D

garinda 16-05-2008 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 577400)
Is it going to be a church do or Registry office:D

Cathedral actually, though with Kate's thespian background we're having a pantomime theme, and are short of two men to be Ugly Sister bridesmaids.;)

jaysay 16-05-2008 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577434)
Cathedral actually, though with Kate's thespian background we're having a pantomime theme, and are short of two men to be Ugly Sister bridesmaids.;)

Got anyone in mind Rindi:D

katex 16-05-2008 12:29

LOL Jaysay, that would definitely be 'the odd couple' of the century.

Pantomime theme , eh ? well, Garinda, you realise would have to switch roles, me as Principal Boy and you as Dame ... :rolleyes:

Ugly sisters ... perhaps Mick as Michaela, and Len as Lenora .. could moderate the proceedings to make sure no funny business before vows are taken ... LOL.

Back to the thread, just feel even though I have got a form now, still a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Not many people are going to ring up for a form, and not everyone has the facility for entering their thoughts on line .. ah well, least we got an extension. Only one page, can you remember if this is all you got Garinda ?

garinda 16-05-2008 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577456)
LOL Jaysay, that would definitely be 'the odd couple' of the century.

Pantomime theme , eh ? well, Garinda, you realise would have to switch roles, me as Principal Boy and you as Dame ... :rolleyes:

Ugly sisters ... perhaps Mick as Michaela, and Len as Lenora .. could moderate the proceedings to make sure no funny business before vows are taken ... LOL.

Back to the thread, just feel even though I have got a form now, still a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Not many people are going to ring up for a form, and not everyone has the facility for entering their thoughts on line .. ah well, least we got an extension. Only one page, can you remember if this is all you got Garinda ?

Yes, just one page...with very little real information as to what the proposed change would entail.

pipinfort 16-05-2008 12:55

i`m a bit late reading this thread but i ain`t got mine................

katex 16-05-2008 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 577467)
i`m a bit late reading this thread but i ain`t got mine................

You crackpot .. :D You can still ring up though, or just go on line ... bet ya' don't !

pipinfort 16-05-2008 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577468)
You crackpot .. :D You can still ring up though, or just go on line ... bet ya' don't !

Behave.......i`ve just done it online after reading the piece i`t observer........;)

katex 16-05-2008 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 577469)
Behave.......i`ve just done it online after reading the piece i`t observer........;)

Excellent !! Give this young man a spare key to the mayoral parlour.

Actually, neighbour just been to the door to see if I had seen the article in the paper, and he has just rung up for a form, and so have his neighbours on either side of him, so maybe more people will do than I anticipated. :mosher:

jaysay 16-05-2008 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577477)
Excellent !! Give this young man a spare key to the mayoral parlour.

Actually, neighbour just been to the door to see if I had seen the article in the paper, and he has just rung up for a form, and so have his neighbours on either side of him, so maybe more people will do than I anticipated. :mosher:

Take a bow kate champion of the man in the street, or pantomimes Principle Boy:D:rolleyes:

BERNADETTE 16-05-2008 16:36

Just filled the on-line form in, details of cost and such like are very obvious in their absence. So really it seems a bit pointless as you don't know what costs the proposed changes will incur. At least I got a chance to put my view across.

garinda 16-05-2008 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 577526)
Take a bow kate champion of the man in the street, or pantomimes Principle Boy:D:rolleyes:

I always think jealousy and bitterness to be a complete waste of time and effort, a bit like this fiasco.;)

katex 16-05-2008 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 577529)
Just filled the on-line form in, details of cost and such like are very obvious in their absence. So really it seems a bit pointless as you don't know what costs the proposed changes will incur. At least I got a chance to put my view across.

Exactly my feelings Bernie, sorta' like the idea of residents having more of a say on the smaller issues that we are associated/are annoyed with, but nothing about the cost ... was going to write this on my form.

jaysay 16-05-2008 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577539)
I always think jealousy and bitterness to be a complete waste of time and effort, a bit like this fiasco.;)

Lighten up Rindi that was not suposed to be deriding in any way, I though you were on the same wavelength as me when it comes down having fun. but happen not:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

BERNADETTE 16-05-2008 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577591)
Exactly my feelings Bernie, sorta' like the idea of residents having more of a say on the smaller issues that we are associated/are annoyed with, but nothing about the cost ... was going to write this on my form.

Really think the decision has already been made:(

katex 16-05-2008 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 577597)
Lighten up Rindi that was not suposed to be deriding in any way, I though you were on the same wavelength as me when it comes down having fun. but happen not:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

I wasn't insulted at all Jaysay, maybe Garinda was tongue in cheek too.. ;)

garinda 16-05-2008 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577591)

As I posted way back when, in theory this seems like a good idea, but there is too little information as to what will happen, and what the costs will be.

Would you like more localised councils?

It's a bit like asking if we'd like to pay less tax.

Er...yes.

It's only later you realise that you're paying less tax at the expense of services being cut.

I bet Scottish devolution seemed like a good idea at the time. Well at least until the costs of the new parliament building spiralled from £50 to £414 million, and we now have the situation whereby English taxes pay to maintain the system, Scottish M.P.'s are allowed to vote at Westminster on things that apply only to England and Wales. In short the whole thing is a complete mess.

With what could possibly be the biggest change in local government since 1974, the whole thing seems under planned to say the least, and that's aside from the debacle of the undelivered forms.

garinda 16-05-2008 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 577606)
I wasn't insulted at all Jaysay, maybe Garinda was tongue in cheek too.. ;)

It'd take a much crueler and wittier person to ever insult me, or get through this thick skin.:D

Lilly 16-05-2008 19:49

Quote:

See post 35 in this thread.....

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...r-39238-3.html

Katex and Garinda, don't wear tracksuits and trainers when you go for your meal at The Calder, will you? :p:D

jaysay 17-05-2008 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577615)
It'd take a much crueler and wittier person to ever insult me, or get through this thick skin.:D

I could always get mor crueler and wittier if you like, no sod it it, i'll keep on being meek and mild:D:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 17-05-2008 17:10

I have just voted to confirm that I did not receive a form. I trust this will not spoil the poll.

garinda 17-05-2008 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 577914)
I have just voted to confirm that I did not receive a form. I trust this will not spoil the poll.

No, since our work here is already done, and it was clear that many people never received a form, before you even interfered.;)

Tealeaf 17-05-2008 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577918)
No, since our work here is already done, and it was clear that many people never received a form, before you even interfered.;)

Bloody hell...isn't that what Hitler said?

garinda 17-05-2008 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 577939)
Bloody hell...isn't that what Hitler said?

Don't think so.

His English was as bad as his paintings.

Tealeaf 17-05-2008 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577940)
Don't think so.

His English was as bad as his paintings.

You had similar artistic talent, then?

Sparkologist 17-05-2008 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 577941)

Leave it out, Mr T, Sir. Stop winding up the natives! :D

garinda 17-05-2008 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 577941)

No, unlike Hitler, my talents gained me a place at art school.:)

Personally I'd hate to be talentless...or indeed to be without enough basic general knowledge to win the Accy Web quiz, even for one measly month.:D

jaysay 18-05-2008 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 577945)
No, unlike Hitler, my talents gained me a place at art school.:)

Personally I'd hate to be talentless...or indeed to be without enough basic general knowledge to win the Accy Web quiz, even for one measly month.:D

Not knowing much about art Rindi, but can't be that hard, one woman won he Turner prize for entering her dirty bed:rolleyes:

garinda 29-05-2008 15:39

Not that it was done to get a free lunch but thanks to the Observer, and the lovely Kate, for a very enjoyable afternoon at the Calder.

Nice food, glass or two of wine, good company, a perfect time.:)

jaysay 29-05-2008 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 583700)
Not that it was done to get a free lunch but thanks to the Observer, and the lovely Kate, for a very enjoyable afternoon at the Calder.

Nice food, glass or two of wine, good company, a perfect time.:)

Going to be a regular event now Rindi:rolleyes:

garinda 29-05-2008 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 583746)
Going to be a regular event now Rindi:rolleyes:

Oh...okay.

If they ever make your's letter of the week I'll have lunch with you too.:D

katex 29-05-2008 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 583753)
Oh...okay.

Ace Garinda. :D Better come to chaperone though to referee discussions on PB !

Was a lovely afternoon Jaysay, Garinda is a comfortable person to be with and that is what makes great friends.

jaysay 29-05-2008 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 583753)
Oh...okay.

There ain't much chance of that, they either don't print mine or they're to controversial, that is the two I've sent in this year. I'd much rather post on here, instant responce, you don't have to wait a week for a reply:D

claytonender 14-06-2008 08:21

Next Wednesday at the HBC Cabinet meeting the issue of Town councils is being discussed. There is a recommendation about Great Harwood.

Link to report is below.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...nsultation.pdf

The meeting is at 1.00 pm at Scaitcliffe House and is open to the public to attend as observers

garinda 14-06-2008 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 592586)
Next Wednesday at the HBC Cabinet meeting the issue of Town councils is being discussed. There is a recommendation about Great Harwood.

Link to report is below.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...nsultation.pdf

The meeting is at 1.00 pm at Scaitcliffe House and is open to the public to attend as observers

According to the Obsever the consultation produced 1,571 resposes.

Even though I suspect many people didn't even get a form, as Peter Britcliffe promised that every household in Hyndburn would receive one, I wonder what the percentage is of forms returned versus those sent out?

I guess we'll never know, because of the fiasco of using the private distribution company, which incidentally I can find no information about how much they were paid from the public purse for delivering these forms, or not, as seems the more likely case.

Lilly 14-06-2008 10:42

I wondered how long before this thread made a re-appearance. :rolleyes:

It's taken you longer than I thought it would. :rolleyes::D

Garinda, it said in yesterday's Telegraph that 80% of people who responded were in favour of town councils and that 2.1% of 59,000 residents took part in the referendum.

I think I can predict what's coming now.........that's not very many is it?

garinda 14-06-2008 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 592664)
I wondered how long before this thread made a re-appearance. :rolleyes:

It's taken you longer than I thought it would. :rolleyes::D

Garinda, it said in yesterday's Telegraph that 80% of people who responded were in favour of town councils and that 2.1% of 59,000 residents took part in the referendum.

I think I can predict what's coming now.........that's not very many is it?

Maybe 59,000, but how many of those people even saw a form?

A form that was supposed to be delivered by this private firm, and which the council presumably paid them for this bad service with our money.

As I said way back, in theory the town councils do sound a good idea, but as yet there is still too little information as to whether in reality they're a good idea, or not.

We are told they will be able to raise their own budgets. Which budgets, what will still be the responsibility of H.B.C., and which won't?

Will we have residents in Clayton paying a different amount of tax than someone in Church, for example?

Who will sit on these councils, will they be elected, or will they be filled with the cronies of our current councillors?

The fact is no one seems to know, and if they do know, they aren't telling us.

Lilly 14-06-2008 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 592671)
Maybe 59,000, but how many of those people even saw a form?

A form that was supposed to be delivered by this private firm, and which the council presumably paid them for this bad service with our money.

As I said way back, in theory the town councils do sound a good idea, but as yet there is still too little information as to whether in reality they're a good idea, or not.

We are told they will be able to raise their own budgets. Which budgets, what will still be the responsibility of H.B.C., and which won't?

Will we have residents in Clayton paying a different amount of tax than someone in Church, for example?

Who will sit on these councils, will they be elected, or will they be filled with the cronies of our current councillors?

The fact is no one seems to know, and if they do know, they aren't telling us.

According to the Telegraph, the next stage is a community review which will sort out boundaries, the number of councillors and decide what functions and powers the town councils will have.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused too. I have the same question as you, Garinda.

We're in Ossy so in addition to the councillors we already have will we be electing more or will the councillors we already have be on the town council? :confused:

garinda 14-06-2008 11:03

I'm glad it's not just me that's confused.

It does seem a good idea in theory, but I think all that it entails should have been worked out before it was put to public consultation.

It's a bit like the Apprentice.

They're pitching an idea, but don't have a clue as to what the costs will be, or how it will be constructed.

Even though it might be a wonderful idea, I don't have enough information to decide if it's going to work or not.

Therefore I'm sorry to say, H.B.C., you're fired.:D

katex 14-06-2008 12:41

Think what made it more difficult for people is that they had to make an effort to return it to their library, etc. (and not everyone has a computer).
Still if they never got the form .. wouldn't know they could vote on line.

The extension was OK, but you had to ring up for a form (or again vote on line). Suppose would have been too expensive to collect like they do with the Electoral Register forms ...although sure wouldn't have eaten too much into the budget. Perhaps most people couldn't make their mind up either, without details.

Would love to go next Wednesday to the meeting, but not sure whether I can get there at the moment. :(

WillowTheWhisp 14-06-2008 13:39

I've spoken to a lot of people who have really no idea what has been proposed, if or how it will affect them, or that they could have had a say in it.

g jones 14-06-2008 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 592770)
I've spoken to a lot of people who have really no idea what has been proposed, if or how it will affect them, or that they could have had a say in it.

Try more bureaucrats, more taxes, more left and right hand, more tree's needing felling and plenty of extra fuel for hot air balloons. The politics show last week ran a good article about the rise of people protesting at more government. Parish Councils put Council Taxes up 200% it said.

It is easy to see how people in Great Harwood will end up subsidising HBC. Give them autonomy, give them back their services such as Great Harwood baths. Subsidised and uneconomical. And anything else that's a burden. Let the Town Councillors put that on the local rates for the people of Great Harwood. Sit back and gather votes for giving (false) independence. That's what The Council is thinking.

shillelagh 14-06-2008 19:17

http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/site/sc...=&oe=&filter=0

There is a charter for whitworth town council on rossendale councils website. The people in whitworth pay extra on their council tax.

Lilly 14-06-2008 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 592887)
http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/site/sc...=&oe=&filter=0

There is a charter for whitworth town council on rossendale councils website. The people in whitworth pay extra on their council tax.

So do people in Altham as they have their own parish council.

Will this be the case for all of us once town councils are introduced? :confused:

garinda 14-06-2008 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 592903)

Will this be the case for all of us once town councils are introduced? :confused:

Who knows?

We haven't been told enough information.

g jones 15-06-2008 00:25

Tax tax tax. Put your hand in your pocket, a new load of bureaucrats need your money.

Neil 15-06-2008 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 592903)

And will they pay another extra payment for the Town Council as well as the Parish one. Will the Parish Council become the Town Council?

garinda 15-01-2009 17:13

According to this weekend's Observer the idea for seperate town councils within Hyndburn has now been scrapped, and is now 'dead in the water'.

Mainly due to the poor lack of response from those who did actually receive a form, and the added cost of the councils being added to the Council Tax bills, being the main reason residents gave for not wanting them.

We shall wait with bated breath for the next bright idea to come from H.B.C.

I wonder how much this all cost?

Still, it's only money.

Our money.

magpie 15-01-2009 21:35

ossy and I did not get one.....

garinda 16-01-2009 11:42

I'd love to find out how much the council paid this private firm to deliver these forms, or not deliver as the case may be.:rolleyes:

I do hope they've asked for a refund for such a poor service.

Mind you, poor service is what we've come to expect when it comes to H.B.C.

Gayle 16-01-2009 12:22

I think the forms were only issued around Great Harwood, as the council felt there was more support for a town council in Great Harwood and so the town could be used as a pilot project.

garinda 16-01-2009 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 669702)
I think the forms were only issued around Great Harwood, as the council felt there was more support for a town council in Great Harwood and so the town could be used as a pilot project.

That's true, and the idea has been abandoned because of the lack of response in Great Harwood, according to the Observer, but why did some people in other areas receive a form, if they were lucky, including myself?