Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   what brilliant idea (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-brilliant-idea-39730.html)

pam1 26-05-2008 08:24

what brilliant idea

a proposal to ban cigarette machines, and the sale of 10 packs in a way to discourage children from smoking.
do u think it will?

flashy 26-05-2008 08:27

Re: what brilliant idea

i would hope it would discourage kids Pam, but unfortunately i'm sure they will find another way of getting their fags :(

Less 26-05-2008 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam1 (Post 581580)
a proposal to ban cigarette machines, and the sale of 10 packs in a way to discourage children from smoking.
do u think it will?

It is already illegal to sell ciggys to under 18's isn't it? so maybe a clamp down on their suppliers would be better than inconveniencing 'adult' smokers, (yes, I know smoking and being adult is a misnomer, guilty as charged!:D).

Lolly 26-05-2008 08:41

I'm not bothered about machines because the prive of them has just got scandalous, in Lava/Ignite nightclub in Burnley its £8.50 for 16!:eek:

But I hope they dont ban 10 packs, I dont seem to smoke as many with a 10 pack and only buy 20 packs when i'm going on a night out.

flashy 26-05-2008 08:45

i buy a small pouch of Golden Virginia once a week which costs about £2.96, and it lasts me a whole week, i only smoke 2/3 a day now, almost cheaper than buying a pack of 10

janet 26-05-2008 09:22

I cannot see what difference doing away with the 10 pack will make, kids will buy 20 and share the cost between them.

jaysay 26-05-2008 09:30

When you see the price of cigs today I'm glad I gave over 30 years ago, in those days 20 Embassy no1 were 40 pence:eek:

garinda 26-05-2008 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 581598)
When you see the price of cigs today I'm glad I gave over 30 years ago, in those days 20 Embassy no1 were 40 pence:eek:

Yes but in those days you could buy a terraced house for under a pound, and still have enough left over to buy a new pair of clogs with the change.:D

I really don't think it will make much difference to underage smokers.

After all there aren't machines selling alcohol and drugs, but sadly if young people want them, there is always someone willing to supply them.

I agree that there should be a bigger crack down on people selling, or supplying, cigarettes to those underage.

onlyme 26-05-2008 10:01

The average amount of pocket money in the UK for 14-16 year olds is £5.66 a week which is still more than a pack of 20, so its going to make no difference whatsoever.

And seeing as most vending machines are in pubs, clubs etc, which kids shouldnt be in anyway, again another worthless idea

cashman 26-05-2008 10:08

think its just a effort to get back in favour, its absolutely pointless n will do nothing to discourage kids from smoking, all it will do is put a few more folk on the dole.

garinda 26-05-2008 10:26

If they are to ban cigarette machines from pubs and clubs, in order to discourage underage smokers, are they also going to take away the condom machines?

We have the highest teenage birth rate in Europe, even though there is apparently ease of access to contraception.

cashman 26-05-2008 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 581631)
If they are to ban cigarette machines from pubs and clubs, in order to discourage underage smokers, are they also going to take away the condom machines?

We have the highest teenage birth rate in Europe, even though there is apparently ease of access to contraception.

hey if it wins votes, why not.;):D

andrewb 26-05-2008 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by janet (Post 581594)
I cannot see what difference doing away with the 10 pack will make, kids will buy 20 and share the cost between them.

Exactly, and this could have an adverse affect. If children have to buy 20 packs they may feel the need to smoke them all, a situation where you almost feel like having them just because they are there.

derekgas 26-05-2008 10:43

The kids will just share the cost of 20 and split them, or, the better off kids will buy them and sell them as singles at a price worse than the machines, it wont discourage smoking youngsters.

garinda 26-05-2008 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam1 (Post 581580)
do u think it will?

If the government really cared about discouraging young people from smoking they could do it easily, by banning them, but of course they won't because of the billions of pounds they'd lose in taxes.