Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2008, 08:24   #1

Question what brilliant idea

a proposal to ban cigarette machines, and the sale of 10 packs in a way to discourage children from smoking.
do u think it will?
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2008, 08:27   #2
God Member

Re: what brilliant idea

i would hope it would discourage kids Pam, but unfortunately i'm sure they will find another way of getting their fags
Old 26-05-2008, 08:33   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
a proposal to ban cigarette machines, and the sale of 10 packs in a way to discourage children from smoking.
do u think it will?
It is already illegal to sell ciggys to under 18's isn't it? so maybe a clamp down on their suppliers would be better than inconveniencing 'adult' smokers, (yes, I know smoking and being adult is a misnomer, guilty as charged!).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 08:41   #4
Senior Member+

I'm not bothered about machines because the prive of them has just got scandalous, in Lava/Ignite nightclub in Burnley its £8.50 for 16!

But I hope they dont ban 10 packs, I dont seem to smoke as many with a 10 pack and only buy 20 packs when i'm going on a night out.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 08:45   #5
God Member

i buy a small pouch of Golden Virginia once a week which costs about £2.96, and it lasts me a whole week, i only smoke 2/3 a day now, almost cheaper than buying a pack of 10
Old 26-05-2008, 09:22   #6
Senior Member+

I cannot see what difference doing away with the 10 pack will make, kids will buy 20 and share the cost between them.
Old 26-05-2008, 09:30   #7
Resting in Peace

When you see the price of cigs today I'm glad I gave over 30 years ago, in those days 20 Embassy no1 were 40 pence
Old 26-05-2008, 09:57   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When you see the price of cigs today I'm glad I gave over 30 years ago, in those days 20 Embassy no1 were 40 pence

Yes but in those days you could buy a terraced house for under a pound, and still have enough left over to buy a new pair of clogs with the change.

I really don't think it will make much difference to underage smokers.

After all there aren't machines selling alcohol and drugs, but sadly if young people want them, there is always someone willing to supply them.

I agree that there should be a bigger crack down on people selling, or supplying, cigarettes to those underage.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 10:01   #9

The average amount of pocket money in the UK for 14-16 year olds is £5.66 a week which is still more than a pack of 20, so its going to make no difference whatsoever.

And seeing as most vending machines are in pubs, clubs etc, which kids shouldnt be in anyway, again another worthless idea
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 10:08   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think its just a effort to get back in favour, its absolutely pointless n will do nothing to discourage kids from smoking, all it will do is put a few more folk on the dole.
Old 26-05-2008, 10:26   #11
Give, give, give member

If they are to ban cigarette machines from pubs and clubs, in order to discourage underage smokers, are they also going to take away the condom machines?

We have the highest teenage birth rate in Europe, even though there is apparently ease of access to contraception.

Old 26-05-2008, 10:28   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If they are to ban cigarette machines from pubs and clubs, in order to discourage underage smokers, are they also going to take away the condom machines?

We have the highest teenage birth rate in Europe, even though there is apparently ease of access to contraception.
hey if it wins votes, why not.
Old 26-05-2008, 10:36   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
I cannot see what difference doing away with the 10 pack will make, kids will buy 20 and share the cost between them.
Exactly, and this could have an adverse affect. If children have to buy 20 packs they may feel the need to smoke them all, a situation where you almost feel like having them just because they are there.
Old 26-05-2008, 10:43   #14
God Member

The kids will just share the cost of 20 and split them, or, the better off kids will buy them and sell them as singles at a price worse than the machines, it wont discourage smoking youngsters.
Old 26-05-2008, 10:46   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
do u think it will?
If the government really cared about discouraging young people from smoking they could do it easily, by banning them, but of course they won't because of the billions of pounds they'd lose in taxes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..