Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2008, 10:56   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: what brilliant idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If the government really cared about discouraging young people from smoking they could do it easily, by banning them, but of course they won't because of the billions of pounds they'd lose in taxes.
Even banning them wouldn't make that much difference Rindi, lots of people I know who still smoke don't buy them from the shops they get them on the Black Market, and the government don't get any tax at all from them
Old 26-05-2008, 11:03   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Even banning them wouldn't make that much difference Rindi, lots of people I know who still smoke don't buy them from the shops they get them on the Black Market, and the government don't get any tax at all from them
I don't know where you shop but I can easily buy cigarettes from five outlets within a two minute walk for where I live.

Happily I can't buy smack or weed within that same distance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 11:16   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I don't know where you shop but I can easily buy cigarettes from five outlets within a two minute walk for where I live.

wouldn't bet on that bud, unless someones moved or in gaol.
Old 26-05-2008, 11:18   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wouldn't bet on that bud, unless someones moved or in gaol.
I know what you're saying, but happily it's still easier to buy cigarettes than other illegal drugs.

Old 26-05-2008, 11:31   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Rindi I wasn't saying that I was saying that a lot of people don't buy their smokes from the shops but from people selling on the Black Market, they reckon that 40% of smokers buy theirs in this way. I only hope you don't want to buy smack or weed any distance from your home
Old 26-05-2008, 11:33   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Rindi I wasn't saying that I was saying that a lot of people don't buy their smokes from the shops but from people selling on the Black Market, they reckon that 40% of smokers buy theirs in this way. I only hope you don't want to buy smack or weed any distance from your home

60% of legal tobacco sales still manages to raise billions of pounds for the government.

Old 26-05-2008, 11:37   #22
Resting in Peace

Just another go at the people who smoke... think the powers that be should concentrate on those who carry knives and other weapons.... ( but that would be too much like hard work)
if kids are going to smoke then they will..

They should also do the same thing with alcohol ( like they have in the states ) you can only buy 24 bottles or whatever:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 11:39   #23
Senior Member+

i doubt it will work, all it will do is make more money for the cigarette companies as people will have to buy 20's.. i also smoke less when i have 10 so it will also make people smoke more...if i have 20 i will smoke 20 a day, if i have 10 then i will smoke 10 a day..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 11:39   #24
God Member

I would have thought most of the so called vending machines were in Pubs & Clubs where Children should not have access to them

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 12:58   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: what brilliant idea

The only way that this government will stop kids from smoking is to stop everyone from smoking.
The only way that they will be able to do that is to ban the manufacture, sale and importing of tobacco products.
That would push the industry underground and only achieve overloaded courts, overfull jails and a serious loss of revenue plus an expanded unemployment register.

In any case alcohol does far more damage to our youngsters and as a side effect creates major problems to our nursing staff than tobacco ever did.

Vehicle exhaust fumes cause more damage than tobacco smoke ever did.

All this bru ha ha is nothing more than a puerile attempt to get us arguing amongst ourselves whilst the government quietly seeks out new ways of imposing stealth taxes.

Instead of allowing ourselves to get bogged down in non-issues we should be pushing for a referendum on EU integration.
Old 26-05-2008, 14:24   #26

jambutty i agree with there, u have put it in one
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 14:46   #27

Quote:
If they are to ban cigarette machines from pubs and clubs, in order to discourage underage smokers, are they also going to take away the condom machines?

We have the highest teenage birth rate in Europe, even though there is apparently ease of access to contraception.
whats condom machines to do with baning 10 packs of fag's, we all no the birth rate gone up and i think they should bring sex education in to the primer schools sooner.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:00   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The only way that this government will stop kids from smoking is to stop everyone from smoking.
The only way that they will be able to do that is to ban the manufacture, sale and importing of tobacco products.
That would push the industry underground and only achieve overloaded courts, overfull jails and a serious loss of revenue plus an expanded unemployment register.

In any case alcohol does far more damage to our youngsters and as a side effect creates major problems to our nursing staff than tobacco ever did.

Vehicle exhaust fumes cause more damage than tobacco smoke ever did.

All this bru ha ha is nothing more than a puerile attempt to get us arguing amongst ourselves whilst the government quietly seeks out new ways of imposing stealth taxes.

Instead of allowing ourselves to get bogged down in non-issues we should be pushing for a referendum on EU integration.
Fat chance of getting a referendum on anything to do ith Europe JB, well not until we get rid of this government that is
Old 26-05-2008, 17:06   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
whats condom machines to do with baning 10 packs of fag's, we all no the birth rate gone up and i think they should bring sex education in to the primer schools sooner.
Garinda is saying that if cigarette machines are aiding underage smokers then condom machines are aiding underage sex. Just because we take away the machines doesn't mean that these activities will cease.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:39   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Garinda is saying that if cigarette machines are aiding underage smokers then condom machines are aiding underage sex. Just because we take away the machines doesn't mean that these activities will cease.

Thank you.

As you just said, and I tried to say earlier, the principle is just the same.

This mealy-mouthed half-measure will make very little difference to those young people who are going to smoke, just as the banning of cigarettes in public places has made little difference to the number of adults who choose to smoke...though it killing off the pub trade.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..