Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   So much so for the police stamping out racism (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/so-much-so-for-the-police-stamping-out-racism-40655.html)

mani 26-06-2008 02:31

So much so for the police stamping out racism

they cant even be equal to their own!

mani 26-06-2008 03:13

Re: So much so for the police stamping out racism

Quote:

The country's most senior Asian police officer has accused his own force of racial discrimination.

Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur is preparing a legal case against the Metropolitan Police.

• A failure to renew his five-year contract - due to end in March 2009 - when other officers of a similar level have had theirs renewed.

• Being sidelined by Commissioner Sir Ian Blair who has allegedly excluded him from key Olympic security planning meetings.

• That he was allegedly browbeaten to keep quiet about his reservations that new laws to detain terror suspects for 42 days were unnecessary.

Commander Shabir Hussain, 45, claimed he was passed over for promotion by Sir Ian an "unprecedented" four times.

Speaking at a London employment tribunal on Tuesday, he said: "My face did not fit and did not fit because I am not white."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7473821.stm

steeljack 26-06-2008 03:25

just a thought , he was probably "fast-tracked " and missed the lessons on " I am not special", "co-operation with others" and " how to be a team-player "

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 06:54

If this is true then it's appalling but we do need to hear both sides of the story before we can draw a conclusion.

LYNX1 26-06-2008 07:21

Just a thought do you think it might be performance related and nothing to do with his colour (another one jumps on the money train). :rolleyes:

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 07:58

There have been instances of people who do not get jobs or do not get promotions because they are simply not up to the job and they claim racial discrimination and get compensation, which itself causes racism because it makes employers afraid of not promoting someone of a different racial background.

cashman 26-06-2008 08:48

seems strange to me he never went public before the newspaper allegations surfaced, this is a case of lets wait n see i think. whilst racism is abborhent, so is playing the racism card as a " get out of jail free" card. so until we know which!!!

lancsdave 26-06-2008 08:54

Can't see the problem myself. The government are trying to put through plans to make discrimination legal.

Quote:

Under plans to make workplaces more diverse, Ms Harman wants to allow employers to appoint people specifically because of their race or gender.
The proposals would only apply when choosing between candidates equally qualified for the job. But it means, for example, women or people from minorities could be hired ahead of others in order to create a more balanced workforce.
Of course the more astute people watching todays news will know that I have missed the most obvious part of Ms Harmans plans out of the above quote as to who will be discrimated against :rolleyes:

jaysay 26-06-2008 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 598555)
seems strange to me he never went public before the newspaper allegations surfaced, this is a case of lets wait n see i think. whilst racism is abborhent, so is playing the racism card as a " get out of jail free" card. so until we know which!!!

It seems to me that no matter who they are either a top police officer or a super model, when things don't go their way the race card is placed firmly on the table, I agree cashy we'll have to waite and see what the real truth is

jaysay 26-06-2008 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 598557)
Can't see the problem myself. The government are trying to put through plans to make discrimination legal.

Of course the more astute people watching todays news will know that I have missed the most obvious part of Ms Harmans plans out of the above quote as to who will be discrimated against :rolleyes:

And it won't be members of the ethnic community dave will it:(

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 09:08

Why are we allowing racist laws to be passed?

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 598561)
It seems to me that no matter who they are either a top police officer or a super model, when things don't go their way the race card is placed firmly on the table, I agree cashy we'll have to waite and see what the real truth is

Just wait until it all goes pearshaped for Wince and watch that card appear! ;)

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 09:16

People should be judged on one thing and one thing only when applying for a job - and that is their ability to do it.

jaysay 26-06-2008 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 598570)
People should be judged on one thing and one thing only when applying for a job - and that is their ability to do it.

You've got it in one Willow, how on earth do the government think we are going to except other nationalities and races if they are passing laws which discriminate against the indigenous population, they are just paying lip service to the PC brigade AGAIN:mad:

Loz 26-06-2008 10:04

We are going to end up with lots of people doing jobs they clearly aren't up to just so the goverment can reach it's targets!
It's ridiculous!
Like willow said the only criteria for getting a job should be who is best qualified not whether they can make up numbers for a minority group.