Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/dont-bug-me-teacher-eating-me-breakfast-40846.html)

katex 03-07-2008 18:22

Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Report in the Observer, re. a group of pupils still eating in a butty shop at 8.50 a.m. .. teacher barges in angrily and demands they get into school immediately as they will be late for school (Rhyddings). Have had problems with lateness recently.

Ok. proprietor says they are customers and have the right of respect as any other customer.

I feel, even though the teacher 'may' have gone over the top, cannot help but applaud her. Years ago, this would have not afforded a story in the local press, and shopkeeper would have backed her up and discussed how she could team up with the school in future.

What were they doing there at this time anyway ? Did their parents not give them a decent breakfast ?

If you were the parent, and caught your child in a cafe, and knowing they would be late for school, not done exactly the same thing and dragged them out by their ear ? .. I know I would.

lancsdave 03-07-2008 18:26

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

If kids in Rhyddings uniform started causing problems in the butty shop I wonder if the propreitor would complain to the school about the lack of discipline ?

yerself 03-07-2008 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
shopkeeper would have backed her up and discussed how she could team up with the school in future.

Judging by the shopkeeper's comments in the 'Observer' she's more interested in the profit she's making out of the kids rather than their education and wellbeing.

katex 03-07-2008 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 601752)
Judging by the shopkeeper's comments in the 'Observer' she's more interested in the profit she's making out of the kids rather than their education and wellbeing.

I agree Yerself, don't think this story did any good at all ..the kids will certainly think now that the teacher was in the wrong. Surprised at the Observer giving it any room at all... irresponsible of them in my opinion.

And Lancsdave ... EXACTLY !!

Eric 03-07-2008 18:46

I wonder how Sam Wignall would have handled it:confused:

katex 03-07-2008 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 601769)

Just had to google that one Eric .. don't remember him, but .. taken from someone's memoirs :-

'We lived in fear of the shout of "Oi, laddy, cap!" and a clip round the ear from Sam Wignall if we dared to be seen outside school without that school cap on our heads - or inside school if we had inadvertently left it on.'

Accrington Grammar School.

flashy 03-07-2008 19:04

i agree with what the head said, the kids HAVE to be in school for 8.40am, they shouldnt have been in the shop at that time, i just think that butty shop owner was after a bit of publicity, stupid cow

Reece goes to Rhyddings in September, if i ever found out that he was in that butty shop or anywhere other than school at that time of day when he was supposed to be in school i would go mental

katex 03-07-2008 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 601776)
i agree with what the head said, the kids HAVE to be in school for 8.40am, they shouldnt have been in the shop at that time, i just think that butty shop owner was after a bit of publicity, stupid cow

Reece goes to Rhyddings in September, if i ever found out that he was in that butty shop or anywhere other than school at that time of day when he was supposed to be in school i would go mental

Ya' know Flashy, was actually thinking of Reece starting there in September, and nearly added to my post something like.. ' have images in my mind of Flashy going in there to sort him out if he did that' .. the owner would have found out what an over-zealous intrusion meant .... ;)

Wynonie Harris 03-07-2008 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 601769)

Eric, you KNOW how he'd have handled it. Everyone would've been out of that shop in two minutes flat...and there'd have been late detentions all round!!

I just thank my lucky stars he never caught me having a lunchtime pint in The Globe!

Jae Swift 03-07-2008 19:49

Even if parents did give us food in morning we'd still go shops and stuff and chill out before school, even more amusing when teachers used to shout so we'd make it so we're even more late.

emamum 03-07-2008 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jae Swift (Post 601792)
Even if parents did give us food in morning we'd still go shops and stuff and chill out before school, even more amusing when teachers used to shout so we'd make it so we're even more late.

what is the point in that??

Jae Swift 03-07-2008 19:52

To wind them up, it was amusing seeing them getting all angry at the time.
Couldn't stand any of the teachers anyway, we had teachers that could hardly speak English for English lessons, IT teachers who needed a hand of students 80% of the time.

emamum 03-07-2008 19:55

do you noy think teachers jobs arehard enough all ready without you lot purposely winding them up? When i was at school I had respect for my teachers!!

Jae Swift 03-07-2008 19:58

Maybe if they showed respect back and didn't sit with their feet up during lessons and started helping students out and getting teachers that actually have knowledge of what they're doing then they'd get respect from me.

West Ender 03-07-2008 20:09

My admiration goes to those who are obliged to teach idiotic children who think it's amusing to make teachers angry. It's no wonder so many leave school barely literate and no wonder there's so little respect for others in general.