Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/whats-this-all-about-full-fat-milk-being-taken-from-schools-41104.html)

danny27 15-07-2008 09:14

whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

Dont know if youve seen this, but apparently the govermnent are taking full fat milk from schools to tackle child obesity.

Im sorry...but I have drank full fat all my life, and i never had a problem with obesity, nor did any other child in my age group.

Wanna know what the problem is??? KIDS ARE GETTING LAZIER!
Yes, children are not excersising enough. And i know why they're not.
PS3 - XBOX360...etc...

Children are more reluctant to go out now that they have these amazing systems. Atleast the Wii is promoting fitness, but theres nothing like a good ol fashioned kickabout after school to shed the pounds.

MILK ISNT TO BLAME!!! PARENTS ARE!!!

get running chunk!:p

emamum 15-07-2008 09:17

re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

i still give ty full fat milk but he has a good diet and plenty of excercise

danny27 15-07-2008 09:34

Yeah, my kids have full fat. What ticks me off is that now the goverment are trying to get kids drinking that horrible *cringe* green top lol

Yeah, lets discourage our kids from drinking milk shall we? WAY TO go!

emamum 15-07-2008 09:38

tbh i dont know the difference cos i havent drunk milk for years... ty likes 'blue' milk so thats what i give him.....

but looking at it the other way... it will help the kids who's parents feed them rubbish.....

danny27 15-07-2008 09:42

Well i dont know, because i dont know any kid that likes green top. my mum used to buy it when i was a kid so i wouldnt drink it, she'd have it for her coffee.

Excersise is still the key to tackling child obesity, and i will always stand by that :)

emamum 15-07-2008 09:45

excercise and diet......... kinda pointless excercising if all you eat is burger and chips..... your never gunna be healthy.

danny27 15-07-2008 09:51

Well yes ofcourse, that does help. But you could eat nothing but healthy food and still get fat by not excersisng.

So yesh, we agree... Diet and excersise are they key factors to tackle child obesity.

P.s... i LOVE blue milk :D

emamum 15-07-2008 09:54

diet, excercise and education are the key factors to tackle childhood obesity.

:p

danny27 15-07-2008 09:58

yes and education. And also no cbeebies on ALL day lol

entwisi 15-07-2008 10:08

"Full" fat milk is still less than 4% fat and can legally be sold as a low fat product (IIRC 5% is teh limit for a claim of low fat)

Semi is ~2% fat and white water(aka skimmed) is < 0.5%

I recall being told we shouldn't give children anything other than full fat so they get teh full goodness of teh milk.

Whats next, collecting all "mummies milk" and semi skimming it! :D

jaysay 15-07-2008 10:35

Banning full fat milk because of child obesity is plain daft, its not milk thats the problem its th junk food they eat at every oppertunity

onlyme 15-07-2008 11:32

I havent heard this story anywhere else, and as someone else mentioned, you are recommended to only give full fat milk to young children to ensure all the goodness is taken.

grego 15-07-2008 11:42

Banning full fat milk will not solve the problem, its important for kids to have some fat, the key is exercise and education regarding diet. As a kid we were brought up in a chippy and had chippy tea every night, we were all stick thin and very healthy, reason being we were never in, always out either at the park or riding our bikes. There weren't the same tv programmes in the 70's only a couple of channels, no computers or games machines (not in our house anyway).

emamum 15-07-2008 13:01

Full fat milk axed from Lancashire's schools (From Burnley and Pendle Citizen)

theres the story

accyman 15-07-2008 14:12

one word to explain child obesity

MCDONALDS

ever since this company took hold in the UK junk food took over,dont get me wrong they arnt the only culprits there are many other companies that have set up and lots of sources for junk food like kebab shops etc but mcdonalds sure put junk food and junk food culture on the map infact once they opened up in the UK it was only a matter of time until we caught up with america as an obese nation

i remember when a kebab or piza was somthing only realy eaten after a night out on the beer just before you stumbled into a taxi but now people are ringing these places up and substituting a good well cooked meal with a family bucket from the local kebab shop

when i went to school there was usualy about 1 maybe 2 fat kids in the whole year but these days there are swarms of them

im not saying everyone feeds their kids crap but lets face it if there is a 9 year old for instance that is obese the chances are he knows the entire menu at mcdonalds and kfc and his mother shops mainly at iceland in the souothern fried chicken and piza sections but dont wory a few pints of green top milk and everything will be just fine :rolleyes: