Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ouch-35-price-hike-from-british-gas-41457.html)

Bonnyboy 30-07-2008 20:14

Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

With immediate effect too - Record rise for British Gas bills

I wonder how many old people they have just condemned to a miserable death this winter.

But British Gas's Mr Bentley says that the firm “would be working hard with its poorest customers to ensure their homes were energy efficient.” - another batch of light bulbs no doubt. These folk need to get a bloody grip. :mad:

Ber999T 30-07-2008 20:17

Re: Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

No they need to stop making ALL the profit for share holders and plough it back to help ALL customers :(

cashman 30-07-2008 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ber999T (Post 612840)
No they need to stop making ALL the profit for share holders and plough it back to help ALL customers :(

got it in one Ber, who sold all the utilities off? were certainly paying the price fer it.:(

Eric 30-07-2008 20:32

Oops ... thought this was about gasoline:eek:

By the way, what are you guys paying for gas (petrol) these days?

Isn't natural gas a public utility over there? I get my natural gas from Ontario Hydro, and my electricity comes from them too ... It only makes sense that utilities should be publically owned, or at least Crown Corporations.

Tin Monkey 30-07-2008 20:32

We only have ourselves to blame really. All that energy saving lightbulbs stuff, the not leaving TVs on standby, washing your clothes at 30 degrees, etc, has all had an impact on the energy companies' profits, so the prices have gone up!

Sod the environment! I'm burning energy for all I'm worth from now on!! :D

Royboy39 30-07-2008 20:32

Luckily, for the last 25 years we have not had gas.
The property in Darwen was all electric as was the property before that.
The only dealings with British Gas was getting a bill, which I contested, for use of their equipment. They attempted to charge me for a gas pipe which they said was connected to deliver gas and for a meter which we did not have.
The gas supply had been capped and the meter removed over 25 years before.
The Jobsworth who came to investigate the nonpayment of the bill threatened to take me to court....and get this.....he threatened to my cut gas off.

BERNADETTE 30-07-2008 20:34

Saw this on the news very frightening for old people and people on low incomes

Bonnyboy 30-07-2008 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 612852)
get this.....he threatened to my cut gas off.

Some folk are just burstin with “O”Levels eh :D

andrewb 30-07-2008 20:59

Check out Compare cheap gas and cheap electricity prices online | moneysupermarket.com to make sure you're getting the cheapest gas/electricity for you

Margaret Pilkington 30-07-2008 21:07

EDF put their gas prices up by 22% and electricity by 17% earlier this week........all the major companies will go similar routes....there is no real competition these days......and it is time that the price of gas was divorced from the price of oil.

There will no doubt be genuine fuel poverty this coming winter and not just for pensioners....there will be working low paid families who will just be above the level where they would qualify for help.....and remember these prices will have a knock on effect on the food that is produced....staples like Bread are bound to go up.

Bonnyboy 30-07-2008 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 612881)
and it is time that the price of gas was divorced from the price of oil.

That’s something I just don’t understand. I mean I know gas is linked to oil prices on the global market. I can’t say that I’ve ever understood why though. :confused:

MargaretR 30-07-2008 21:16

I am a regular checker and switcher.
I did a search for a fixed rate tariff a few days ago, and the best price cap rate was from the company I am with at present and it would be 150% more than I am paying now:eek:

Margaret Pilkington 30-07-2008 21:34

I think originally it was so that there was parity in the prices of both commodities.
So that one couldn't steal a march on the other....but if anyone knows any different then i am happy to be corrected.

andrewb 30-07-2008 21:37

Would it not be because they're found in the same place, therefore supply is linked?

Royboy39 30-07-2008 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 612903)
Would it not be because they're found in the same place, therefore supply is linked?

Explain......................:confused: