Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   UK Biobank (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/uk-biobank-41696.html)

garinda 08-08-2008 18:26

Re: UK Biobank

I got one today too, so did my mum.

Both of us aren't doing it, as we are sick of hospitals.

garinda 08-08-2008 18:28

Slightly more interesting in the same post, was a letter from a girl in Southend, asking if I was her father!:D

nortype 08-08-2008 18:44

me and wife got one each filled it in said bury to far to go.

emamum 08-08-2008 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 616567)
Slightly more interesting in the same post, was a letter from a girl in Southend, asking if I was her father!:D

woah!!!!! just want to back track a little but........... what????

Mancie 08-08-2008 18:58

Smacks of the private sector moving in ....careful ..they'll be wanting your details.. why not just go to your own GP for check ups?... if you don't have confidence in him/her then register with another.. simple

garinda 08-08-2008 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 616582)
woah!!!!! just want to back track a little but........... what????

Right name, right place of birth, just wrong person.

It was a really sweet letter, with a S.A.E., so I told her I wasn't her dad, and I hope she finds him.:(

emamum 08-08-2008 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 616601)
Right name, right place of birth, just wrong person.

It was a really sweet letter, with a S.A.E., so I told her I wasn't her dad, and I hope she finds him.:(

you hope? lol

Gayle 08-08-2008 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 616587)
Smacks of the private sector moving in ....careful ..they'll be wanting your details.. why not just go to your own GP for check ups?... if you don't have confidence in him/her then register with another.. simple

It's nothing to do with having a check up for individuals. It's a research study to look at lots of different factors to do with health. The people who take part in the study won't particularly benefit.

Mancie 08-08-2008 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 616608)
It's nothing to do with having a check up for individuals. It's a research study to look at lots of different factors to do with health. The people who take part in the study won't particularly benefit.

OK confused.. what department/orginization is conducting this study?

Gayle 08-08-2008 20:06

The Government's Department of Health.

The start of the letter says

We are writing to ask for your help in studying the prevention and treatment of cancer, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, dementia, joint problems and many other serious diseases.

I think the idea is that they study 500,000 people now and find out if there are any markers, indications that might be identifiable and as time goes on they continue to monitor our health. When groups of people have heart attacks etc - they look back to see if there were any common links early on that at the moment are not recognised as signs.

Mancie 08-08-2008 20:19

Ok it's a NH funded ...good to see the Goverment taking responsible action on health.. get it while you can... the days of Torism are lurking large!

Gayle 08-08-2008 20:24

For more info

U K Biobank Home Page