Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   What Stopped You In Your Tracks Today? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/what-stopped-you-in-your-tracks-today-43096.html)

mothernature 14-10-2008 13:10

Re: What Stopped You In Your Tracks Today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 641107)
Get yourself a plug in spider repeller. I am in an upstairs flat with big trees very close front and back, so they don't need to jump far to get to me.

There are 2 types=
sonic and ...sonic plus pulse through the ring main
The second type is better but dearer

Undecided about these. A lot of people claim they aren't too brilliant. Oil of Cloves works as long as I spray it regularly. Never see spiders in the dentists.

MargaretR 14-10-2008 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothernature (Post 641121)
Undecided about these. A lot of people claim they aren't too brilliant. Oil of Cloves works as long as I spray it regularly. Never see spiders in the dentists.

They work for me - only place I see spiders now is the bathroom where there is no ring main wiring and (of course) no place to plug in.

jaysay 14-10-2008 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 641131)
They work for me - only place I see spiders now is the bathroom where there is no ring main wiring and (of course) no place to plug in.

Same here Margaret, thats the only place I've seen spiders for two yers since I got the zappers:D

mothernature 14-10-2008 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 641241)
Same here Margaret, thats the only place I've seen spiders for two yers since I got the zappers:D

Definately no good for me then. Stupid things would all be forced into the bathroom by the zappers and then pounce on me. The number of times spiders have decided towels & flannels are great to hide in are too many for me. The amount of accidents I've had & the things I won't go near, in or under because of spiders. :eek:

steeljack 14-10-2008 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 641081)
.....talking of spiders..........(which started this thread)

general rule of thumb , if its a 'flat' walking spider it usually safe , if it's one that walks with its body raised its probably dangerous (bite/sting/poisonous) :D

mothernature 15-10-2008 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 641303)
general rule of thumb , if its a 'flat' walking spider it usually safe , if it's one that walks with its body raised its probably dangerous (bite/sting/poisonous) :D

Don't care. They've all got 6 more legs than I have. They are not coming anywhere near me. Zap 'em into space.

cashman 15-10-2008 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothernature (Post 641672)
Don't care. They've all got 6 more legs than I have. They are not coming anywhere near me. Zap 'em into space.

leave yer plugs in bath n sink in bathroom mothernature the buggers come in that way.;)

mothernature 15-10-2008 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 641674)
leave yer plugs in bath n sink in bathroom mothernature the buggers come in that way.;)

No good, they also fall from ceilings and walls. The one thing with being afraid of something is you learn your enemies moves.

katex 15-10-2008 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 641674)

Spiders don't get into your house this way, merely get trapped there. More likely to have squeezed through cracks and crevices, come in on your clothes or pets.

mothernature 15-10-2008 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 641684)
Spiders don't get into your house this way, merely get trapped there. More likely to have squeezed through cracks and crevices, come in on your clothes or pets.

You're so right there Katex. The number of times my cat has come in with things in his fur is unbelievable. :eek:

katex 15-10-2008 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 640805)
closed off Barnes Street today for major works (welcome back .. LOL). Can't get access from the bottom, but presume can from the top 'just for access'.

By hek Cazzer ! looks like they are re-surfacing Barnes Street 'specially in your honour .. didn't realise we had royalty coming to live. Can't see any gold on the pavements though.. :D

Eric 15-10-2008 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 641714)
By hek Cazzer ! looks like they are re-surfacing Barnes Street 'specially in your honour .. didn't realise we had royalty coming to live. Can't see any gold on the pavements though.. :D

You mean Barnes St. isn't cobblestones any more?:eek: What about Lower Barnes St.?

Eric 15-10-2008 22:01

It didn't exactly stop me in my tracks, but the dearth of news in the world media about the Canadian general election came as a little bit of a surprise.

Anyway, for those of you who didn't stay up all night to watch the results, the tory gamble to grab a majority govt. while the Liberal party was happily commiting political suicide, and before the economic fecal matter hits the swiftly rotating object, failed. A resurgent Bloc Quebecois stopped them in their tracks in la belle province. Vive le Quebec! So our prime minister (whose name you are no doubt familiar with) is stuck with another minority govt. .... which might not be a bad idea.

keetah992000 15-10-2008 22:51

I was waiting at the train station and an old aquaintance from school saw me and came to chat -he was an okay lad who had had a ****ty life- but someone who you wished had had a better one because he has a lot of goodness in his heart.
anyway he sat down and told me all about his life - being in prison on and off for about 12 years since leaving school, being homeless and a heroin addict you get the picture. Now i enjoyed talking to him because i should imagine not many people would treat him as a human being - and maybe it might have given him some hope that one day he might have the strength to change- but the people sat near us were swiflty moving seats and we soon had the area to ourselves. I didnt care.
What stopped me in my tracks was the way he was talking about his llife - no shame no sadness it "just was" for him he had never known any different - it made me appreciate what i have and the upbringing my parents gave me ( not that i dont but you know what i mean)
I dont believe he was "born bad" and its really sad.

ossylass 16-10-2008 13:34

I was stopped in my tracks by a personal letter from our M.P. Mr. Greg Pope, telling me that us folk in Ossy are not forgotten, and if I need his help, then I've to let him know!:)

Neil 16-10-2008 13:54

Don't be thinking you are special, I got one as well :p

ossylass 16-10-2008 14:32

-and there was I, thinking I'd been specially selected!:rolleyes:

jaysay 16-10-2008 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossylass (Post 641847)
-and there was I, thinking I'd been specially selected!:rolleyes:

No I got one too, as did his predecessor Ken Hargreaves:rolleyes:

katex 16-10-2008 17:27

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 641719)
You mean Barnes St. isn't cobblestones any more?:eek: What about Lower Barnes St.?

To answer your question ... no ! LOL, although if you look closely at the first picture, bottom right, you can seem the impression of the cobbles where the road surface has sunk.

Attachment 12812Attachment 12813

Lilly 16-10-2008 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 641844)
Don't be thinking you are special, I got one as well :p

So did I. :eek:

Neil 17-10-2008 07:42

Is there a theme forming here ;)

jaysay 17-10-2008 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 642015)
Is there a theme forming here ;)

Only if you want to make it one Neil:D:rolleyes:

Eric 17-10-2008 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 641903)
To answer your question ... no ! LOL, although if you look closely at the first picture, bottom right, you can seem the impression of the cobbles where the road surface has sunk.

Attachment 12812Attachment 12813

What changes! Particularly the number of vehicles parked on the street!

One thing that seems to be the same tho' is the weather:mad:

katex 17-10-2008 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 642150)
What changes! Particularly the number of vehicles parked on the street!

One thing that seems to be the same tho' is the weather:mad:

Will never change in Lancashire Eric, that's why we are all here, and you were , when your forefathers came to this area due to the Industrial Revolution in the cotton industry .. never forget that. :p

Royboy39 17-10-2008 21:01

This video of unbelievable talent:

YouTube - Andrea Bocelli & Hayley Westenra -- Vivo Per Lei

Caz 17-10-2008 21:09

Brilliant Roy, thanks for that. :)

Royboy39 17-10-2008 22:11

Is talent not appreciated on this forum?

katex 17-10-2008 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 642219)

Truly beautiful. .. 'course it's appreciated Roy.

lindsay ormerod 17-10-2008 23:00

Someone getting in touch with me from a lost friends post that I put on months ago, I had given up hope and now he has found me again !:)

jaysay 18-10-2008 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 642219)

Course it is Roy why do you think I come on here everyday and converse with other talented people:D:rolleyes::hehetable

Royboy39 18-10-2008 22:07

I am rather amused and annoyed that the link I posted was removed making me look an absolute fool.
The link was from Youtube and open to all.
No explanation was offered for the removal, it seems the talent is misdirected?

MargaretR 18-10-2008 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 642558)
I am rather amused and annoyed that the link I posted was removed making me look an absolute fool.
The link was from Youtube and open to all.
No explanation was offered for the removal, it seems the talent is misdirected?

It is still there

Royboy39 18-10-2008 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 642560)
It is still there

Sorry Margaret when I checked earlier on it had been removed....thanks for that.

Wynonie Harris 18-10-2008 22:24

I know I'm not supposed to mention this on this particular part of the forum (and I'm sure MargaretR will soundly box my ears, metaphorically speaking) but what stopped me in my tracks today was walking into a bookies in downtown Manchester and seeing the words "Luton 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley" on a TV screen.

Royboy39 18-10-2008 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 642563)
I know I'm not supposed to mention this on this particular part of the forum (and I'm sure MargaretR will soundly box my ears, metaphorically speaking) but what stopped me in my tracks today was walking into a bookies in downtown Manchester and seeing the words "Luton 1 - 2 Accrington Stanley" on a TV screen.

And you thought they were extracting the ??????
Good win Stanley....march on.

jaysay 19-10-2008 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 642563)

Walking into a bookies in downtown Manchester at that time, weren't on your way to Old Trafford were you Wynonie:D:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 19-10-2008 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 642607)
Walking into a bookies in downtown Manchester at that time, weren't on your way to Old Trafford were you Wynonie:D:rolleyes:

Perish the thought! Out for a few beers and a bite to eat in Chinatown with Mrs H!

jaysay 19-10-2008 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 642641)
Perish the thought! Out for a few beers and a bite to eat in Chinatown with Mrs H!

Must have been Mrs Hs Birthday, especially on a Staturday afternoon:D

Wynonie Harris 19-10-2008 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 642652)
Must have been Mrs Hs Birthday, especially on a Staturday afternoon:D

Well guessed, Jaysay, it was last Wednesday. Actually took her out for a birthday meal last Saturday, but I had to pretend to be in a good mood then. Was in a genuine good mood yesterday (but I didn't know I was going to be in a good mood until I went in the bookies)...if you get my drift. :D

ossylass 22-10-2008 09:52

I was buying a bottle of wine in a store down town when the cashier spoke to the one at the next till before serving me. Being a pensioner, I asked her if I was too young to buy the wine, but she said "no, I'm too young to sell it, I have to get approval!"

Eric 24-10-2008 02:52

[quote=ossylass;643547]I was buying a bottle of wine in a store down town when the cashier spoke to the one at the next till before serving me. Being a pensioner, I asked her if I was too young to buy the wine, but she said "no, I'm too young to sell it, I have to get approval!"[/quot

I have international ID: it's called grey hair.:alright:

Neil 24-10-2008 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 644163)
I have international ID: it's called grey hair.:alright:

It doesn't get you in AccyWeb over 18's though :p

steeljack 24-10-2008 07:26

Being called an Asshole in the grocery store today , the woman in line in front of me was talking non-stop on her head-set cell phone ( think Uhuru Star Trek) whist being served , then it became my turn I asked the checker how he felt about dealing with customers like that , he shrugged his shoulders and and said its part of the job , I said I thought she's just a 'effing' ill mannered ignorant cow , the "lady" in question was still stood adjacent to the checkout and heard my comments and turned on me , trying to explain it was an important call , I asked if she was some kind of cardiologist or a brain surgeon .....the reaction ......"Your an Asshole"
What the heck happened to common courtesy :confused: :eek: ;)

Neil 24-10-2008 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 644182)
I said I thought she's just a 'effing' ill mannered ignorant cow .............What the heck happened to common courtesy :confused: :eek: ;)

I think you answered your own question :D

steeljack 24-10-2008 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 644186)
I think you answered your own question :D

I was talking to the check-out clerk , the ignorant bitch was just ear-wigging ;)

emamum 24-10-2008 08:30

I hate that as well....the guy at the corner shop is always on the phone when he is serving!

jaysay 24-10-2008 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 644197)
I hate that as well....the guy at the corner shop is always on the phone when he is serving!

If he does that next time your in ema, just walk out, if you do it once or twice he may just get the message