Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Corner shop 'time capsule' (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/corner-shop-time-capsule-43173.html)

MargaretR 10-10-2008 12:42

Corner shop 'time capsule'

I happened on this in the Daily Mail
The old curiosity shop: Treasure trove found in store left boarded up for decades | Mail Online
It makes an interesting read - wonder where in Accy it is.
It looks like it could be a shop on Burnley Rd past the old Stanley ground, but I may be wrong.

lancsdave 10-10-2008 12:47

Re: Corner shop 'time capsule'

It's on the left hand side as you go up, effectively would have been opposite the old Peel Park. First building after the vauxhall dealer.

Strange they say nobody lived there cos I saw an old bloke coming out of it a few months ago, I recall at the time being shocked he still lived there.

'erindoors 10-10-2008 12:47

That is amazing!! Phil and I were just looking at that in the SUN newspaper. I would love to go and have a look.

Gail xxxx

MargaretR 10-10-2008 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 639912)
It's on the left hand side as you go up, effectively would have been opposite the old Peel Park. First building after the vauxhall dealer.

Strange they say nobody lived there cos I saw an old bloke coming out of it a few months ago, I recall at the time being shocked he still lived there.

Glad I got it right - I parked next to it a few weeks ago because an old school friend lives on that block.

katex 10-10-2008 13:03

Gosh .. that is truly amazing ... shame couldn't be preserved as such. Mind you, wouldn't generate much income particularly, pleased they are saving the contents. The council workers must have felt a little like those explorers opening an Egyptian tomb for the first time.

Remember going there many times in my childhood, as lived very close. Only for ice cream though, don't particularly remember the other items or the shopkeeper at the time.

katex 10-10-2008 13:57

Hey, they have just mentioned this story on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2 ... when his side kick asked where it was, Steve replied 'It's in Hyndburn' with loud aspiration on the 'H' ....:D

churchman phil 10-10-2008 14:09

Needs preserving as it goes to show not every empty building gets vandalised!! :D

Retlaw 10-10-2008 14:19

I've been told it will be on Granada TV tonight, some time after 1830 hrs.

There's an article in the Daily Mirror.

Retlaw.

yerself 10-10-2008 14:21

I used to go in there as a kid, it's not been shut for forty years but definitely more than thirty. The place next door, that's now Hugh Davies Car Sales, was Stocks pop factory, the original home of Iron Brew before the Jocks got hold of it and changed the name to Irn Bru and claimed it was made from girders.

cashman 10-10-2008 14:22

amazing. like kate it brought back a few vague memories, used to call in as a kid, when goin up huncoat to play football, i only remember the sweets.:) pineapple chunks n sasperella drops.

katex 10-10-2008 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 639939)
Needs preserving as it goes to show not every empty building gets vandalised!! :D

:rolleyes: Trust you ... 'tis is in one of the better areas of town ... :D

Think the ice-cream they sold was Whitewell Ices, but stand to be corrected. Never a well-stocked shop, even in the 50's.

Stanleymad 10-10-2008 15:14

OMG! Are they sure its not been open for 30 yrs, cos i do vaguely remember going into an oldy worldly shop on burnley rd across from golf club a bit further up nr garage, now i would of been young but sure when we used to grave yard i used to nip in that shop for snack supplies that would be early upto mid 80's:confused:

When arkwrights store comes on always reminds me of the the old shops, lucky not to have missed gracing them, shop further along from Peel Park [now Ahmeds] used to be a very oldy worldy shop owned by an old couple it was all wood & jars lol.

Mind u a lot of shops were oldy worldy before the mid 80's & result of a new breed of shop owners so many were lost to be modernised, which was sad.

jaysay 10-10-2008 16:02

I used go in when I was serving my apprenticship at R. P. Townleys on Maner Street that 40 odd years ago

katex 10-10-2008 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 639943)
I've been told it will be on Granada TV tonight, some time after 1830 hrs.

There's an article in the Daily Mirror.

Retlaw.

Oh blooming hek .. only caught the last 10 seconds of this ... :(

Caz 10-10-2008 17:34

Those biscuit tins with the see through lids bring back memories of Bob Whatmough's shop on Ormerod St many moons ago. Every time we went in I was allowed a biscuit of choice. I use to call him "Biccy Bob" Well I was lickle!

Remember having a go on his trombone one day too! :eek: