Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The World will end - ITS SNOWING ?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-world-will-end-its-snowing-44250.html)

Neil 03-12-2008 08:16

Re: The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 656819)
Snicker, snicker ... bunch of wimps:D:hidewall::D

I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.

Neil 03-12-2008 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 656856)
I cancelled my appointments and worked from home.

So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?

jaysay 03-12-2008 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 656787)
Here in Lymm we have had several heavy falls of hail and rain but no snow. It is now very wet and very cold.

Its not allowed to snow in Lymm is it West Ender:D

Studio25 03-12-2008 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656894)
So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?

That's not very fair. There are more issues than just one's own ability to cope with "a couple of inches". Risk management comes into it when you start to consider other people's competence (or lack of it).

I was stuck in weather-affected traffic yesterday. While moving at walking pace, someone slammed into me from a side road because she couldn't stop.

Today, did the same journey over the ice-sheet backroads near Sabden. Those roads were empty, so even though it was more slippy than the main road, I only had my own competence (or lack of it) to worry about. If the journey wasn't necessary, I'd have stayed at home.

lancsdave 03-12-2008 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656893)
LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise

And there lies one of the major problems today as opposed to the good old days where things didn't stop. There used to be a small army of council workers out gritting roads AND SIDE STREETS, and pavements. You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.

Neil 03-12-2008 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 656906)
That's not very fair.

That depends on what she does and if you were let down by her or not.

Neil 03-12-2008 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 656915)
You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.

We still have them around here.

polly 03-12-2008 13:29

Simple answer to that, as many as would have let me down if I had turned up! without exception they all said 'oh I'm glad about that' and then went on to tell me what awful journeys they had already had.

jaysay 03-12-2008 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 656893)
I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.

Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.

Neil 03-12-2008 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 657001)
Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.

I thought HBC owned the gritters and did what they were told by LCC on contract. Is that correct or am I wrong as usual?

So it was LCC that let us down again.

More schools are shut tomorrow. St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast :eek:

Taggy 03-12-2008 17:06

Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy

panther 03-12-2008 17:13

isnt it supposed to snow tonight or in the morning?

***Mr D*** 03-12-2008 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 657010)
Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy

I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.

emamum 03-12-2008 17:30

i got the bus into town today, was awful, i have enough food, gas and electric now so will stay in.

Eric 03-12-2008 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 657014)
I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.

What you guys need are sidewalk (oops, sorry Pavement) plows; neat little tracked plows that also put sand (grit, if you prefer) on the sidewalks.