Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How could we deal with doggy issues? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-could-we-deal-with-doggy-issues-45311.html)

Tealeaf 03-02-2009 16:31

Re: How could we deal with doggy issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 675487)
People have the RIGHT to enjoy the companionship of a dog if that is their desire and no one not even you can deny them that right.

The trouble with Jambutty - as with so many others - is that he is always on about 'Rights' but never talks about Responsibilities. No wonder the country has gone to the dogs.

Benipete 03-02-2009 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 675447)
Thirty years ago many people kept tortoises as pets, because they were cheap to purchase, and required no licence.

Since legislation was introduced in 1984, requiring a licence to sell them, thus pushing the purchase price up, the numbers being bred and kept as pets has fallen dramatically.

Legislation can work.

I reckon I could manage to take a tortoise for a walk.:D

jambutty 03-02-2009 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 675491)
Maybe 2 or 3, it would be hard to say until the new laws came in. They don't have to remove every illegal dog in a weekend. Once people started loosing their dogs others would soon realise they needed to register and licence them before they too fell foul of the law.

In the general scheme of things Accrington is a small town but to police a new law effectively I reckon you would need ten times what you quote.

If patrolling ‘dog wardens’ appear on the scene what do you think illegal dog owners would do? Walk the dogs when there are no ‘dog wardens’ about, perhaps?

jambutty 03-02-2009 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 675503)
The trouble with Jambutty - as with so many others - is that he is always on about 'Rights' but never talks about Responsibilities. No wonder the country has gone to the dogs.

If people don’t stand up for their rights, they will lose them. In any case the greater majority of dog owners are RESPONSIBLE people so why should they suffer for the misdemeanours of the few.

Child abuse is far more important than dogs fouling the street.

Polly_45 03-02-2009 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 675509)
If people don’t stand up for their rights, they will lose them. In any case the greater majority of dog owners are RESPONSIBLE people so why should they suffer for the misdemeanours of the few.

Quiet right there regards child abuse and i dont see many dogs attacking pensioners and robbing them for a few pence neither.or going around in groups stabbing people.

Tealeaf 03-02-2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly_45 (Post 675515)
Quiet right there regards child abuse and i dont see many dogs attacking pensioners and robbing them for a few pence neither.or going around in groups stabbing people.

Aye, but how often do we read of Rottweiler's or the like tearing poor, little, baby children to pieces. If this is what you want, so be it.

cashman 03-02-2009 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 675518)
Aye, but how often do we read of Rottweiler's or the like tearing poor, little, baby children to pieces..

don't see many scumbags doin this either.

Tealeaf 03-02-2009 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 675519)

Have you ever noticed how dogs look like their owners? Just look at the spotty chavs, complete with trainers, jogging pants, baseball caps, tattoos and the obligatory fag and Carlsberg Special Brew, lurching from side to side down the street, and what do they look like? Why, their ugly bull terrier strolling along beside them.

Neil 03-02-2009 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 675507)
If patrolling ‘dog wardens’ appear on the scene what do you think illegal dog owners would do? Walk the dogs when there are no ‘dog wardens’ about, perhaps?

People would soon start reporting noisy dogs and those fouling the streets if the wardens had the power to remove unlicensed dogs.

Are these owners of illegal dogs never going to take them to the vets if they are ill?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 675509)

So should we allow dogs owners to allow their dogs to fouls our streets until we have 100% eliminated child abuse?

Polly_45 03-02-2009 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 675519)

i think the thomson and vennables did excactly that!

cashman 03-02-2009 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly_45 (Post 675529)
i think the thomson and vennables did excactly that!

they murdered poor jamie did NOT rip him to bits.

Polly_45 03-02-2009 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 675521)
Have you ever noticed how dogs look like their owners? Just look at the spotty chavs, complete with trainers, jogging pants, baseball caps, tattoos and the obligatory fag and Carlsberg Special Brew, lurching from side to side down the street, and what do they look like? Why, their ugly bull terrier strolling along beside them.

:mosher:Fair play for that statement made me chuckle.
If and im repeating myself here that people didnt breed willy nilly from their much loved dog and stopped selling to idiots most of the dogs wouldnt be on the street and more so not producing more dogs.make spay.neuter compulsory less dogs less mess on the streets,And a lot less complaining.
I wonder how many ppl would actually confroint someone for letting their dogs foul.I would certainly offer them a poop bag as its not often im out without several in various pockets

katex 03-02-2009 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 675521)

Not just the Chavs, Tealeaf, think some of these are really cute.

Dogs look like their Owners | Amazing PowerPoint Slide Show

Still think the cost of administering Neil's suggestions would overcome any benefits and, as specified, there will always be bad dog owners around no matter what.

Also, the right to own a dog is valid, but extra expense will prohibit the less well off in our society from doing this, and doesn't mean to say because they are of the poorer in our society, that they will not be less responsible to a family dog.

By the way, Garinda ... my grandaughter's tortoise, Wilma, cost nearly £200, and lots more money spent on her since. She's a breed that doesn't hibernate either, so a heating lamp has to be provided.

MargaretR 03-02-2009 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly_45 (Post 675547)
I wonder how many ppl would actually confroint someone for letting their dogs foul.I would certainly offer them a poop bag as its not often im out without several in various pockets

I do regularly, when I see a dog performing on the lawn at the front of these flats. I open my window and shout 'If that's crap pick it up'
This usually startles dog owners into action since they thought no-one was about (I am in an upstairs flat)
Once I was told where to go:rolleyes:

jambutty 03-02-2009 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 675518)
Aye, but how often do we read of Rottweiler's or the like tearing poor, little, baby children to pieces. If this is what you want, so be it.

Whilst I accept that if a child is attacked by a dog it is once too often but when was the last time that such an incident was reported in the press? Compare that to when was the last time that a child was abused.

However this thread is about dogs fouling the streets etc and the means of stopping it.