Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Let's Webcast Council (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/lets-webcast-council-45613.html)

andrewb 15-02-2009 18:55

Let's Webcast Council

Some council meetings in other councils are broadcast on their website, and can be played back after the event. Wouldn't it be great for transparency and openness if we could her things from the horses mouth without needing to attend every council meeting.

katex 15-02-2009 19:03

Re: Let's Webcast Council

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 680567)
Some council meetings in other councils are broadcast on their website, and can be played back after the event. Wouldn't it be great for transparency and openness if we could her things from the horses mouth without needing to attend every council meeting.

Depends who the editor is ... LOL.

lancsdave 15-02-2009 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 680571)
Depends who the editor is ... LOL.

I'm shocked, I didn't know you could be so cynical :eek::)

Bernard Dawson 15-02-2009 19:39

Quote:

I don't really see why not. Lancashire County Council I believe do something on these lines. I don't know what the costs would be, and it wouldn't be the most riveting two hours viewing, but why not.

steeljack 15-02-2009 19:52

the best part of televised Council meetings are the public comment period at the start of the meetings, (before the Council is called to order) , where members of the public are allowed to ask questions/make comments (usually limited to 3 minutes per person) to members of the Council and 'Town clerk' in attendance . Sometimes the questions relate to matters on the pre-published aggenda, but other times it can be to bring a matter to the Councils notice especially if your local Councillors has no interest in it .

shillelagh 15-02-2009 20:19

View Council Meetings Online

theres the link for the lancashire county council meetings

claytonender 15-02-2009 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 680603)
the best part of televised Council meetings are the public comment period at the start of the meetings, (before the Council is called to order) , where members of the public are allowed to ask questions/make comments (usually limited to 3 minutes per person) to members of the Council and 'Town clerk' in attendance . Sometimes the questions relate to matters on the pre-published aggenda, but other times it can be to bring a matter to the Councils notice especially if your local Councillors has no interest in it .

Unfortunately there is no slot at either Full council or Cabinet (of Hyndburn Borough Council) for the public to ask any questions. Some other local councils - Blackburn with Darwen and Pendle councils do allow members of the public to ask questions at Cabinet meetings.

katex 15-02-2009 20:49

Gosh, can you imagine all the diva's in this Fly on the Wall situation ... LOL.

Would be better live though, eh ?

Neil 15-02-2009 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 680619)
Unfortunately there is no slot at either Full council or Cabinet (of Hyndburn Borough Council) for the public to ask any questions. Some other local councils - Blackburn with Darwen and Pendle councils do allow members of the public to ask questions at Cabinet meetings.

Do the other Councils you mentioned have anything like our Area Councils where the public can ask questions?

cashman 15-02-2009 20:55

don't think it would be a bad thing, agree it would be boring in the main, but openess is always a good thing i think.:)

Neil 15-02-2009 21:22

After the mess they made of HyndburnLife, do you think it would ever work?

cashman 15-02-2009 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 680650)
After the mess they made of HyndburnLife, do you think it would ever work?

NO, but the ideas "Pie in the Sky" anyway.:D

garinda 15-02-2009 22:39

I can't see it being a bad thing.

Transparency is good.

At least we'll know Cllr. Biggins is going to be photogenic to watch, because we've seen proof of that on his calendars.

shillelagh 15-02-2009 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 680627)
Do the other Councils you mentioned have anything like our Area Councils where the public can ask questions?

Rossendale call theirs Neighbourhood forums ... theres one for whitworth, bacup, rawtenstall, haslingden and edenfield and helmshore where people can attend and there is an agenda and they can either before the meeting speak to a councillor or theres an item on the agenda where the public can ask questions.

garinda 15-02-2009 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 680654)
NO, but the ideas "Pie in the Sky" anyway.:D

Let's hope they dont introduce it before the summer of 2010.

Otherwise Andrew will be watching it 24/7, and will never graduate.

:D

cashman 15-02-2009 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 680689)
Let's hope they dont introduce it before the summer of 2010.

Otherwise Andrew will be watching it 24/7, and will never graduate.

ah but at least he would see what really goes on.

ClarePritchard 20-02-2009 21:42

Good idea, you could use it as a cure from insomnia !!!!!!!!!!

g jones 20-02-2009 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 680687)
Rossendale call theirs Neighbourhood forums ... theres one for whitworth, bacup, rawtenstall, haslingden and edenfield and helmshore where people can attend and there is an agenda and they can either before the meeting speak to a councillor or theres an item on the agenda where the public can ask questions.

And there are a lot of Town and Parish Councils. Pendle, Rossendale, Ribble Valley and Burnley have a lot.

g jones 20-02-2009 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 680627)

I am not so sure you can ask questions. When we get around to it they have to be tabled and there's no follow up and it happens about 2 hours in.

Area Councils used to be able to receive questions at Full Council but because the constitution said the Area Council chair MUST answer the question in Full Council, Area Councils were ended in all but name. They are Area Forums now.

And sticking to the thread... YES they should be live on the internet. If enough people feel strongly about it, I will move a motion at Council for it to happen.

g jones 20-02-2009 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 680691)
ah but at least he would see what really goes on.

Andrew has turned up to Council and our Area Council. He never said anything about them to be fair. I think most councillors set a good example of local politics in Hyndburn at those meetings. Don't know if Andrew shares that view but he has said little about his attendance?

claytonender 20-02-2009 22:53

I think it would be an excellent idea to Webcast Council meetings.

garinda 20-02-2009 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 683396)

Seconded.

cmonstanley 20-02-2009 23:25

thirded:)good idea

garinda 20-02-2009 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 683413)
thirded:)good idea

Especially now Channel 5's dropping Trisha.:D

BERNADETTE 20-02-2009 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 683425)
Especially now Channel 5's dropping Trisha.:D

You can always switch to Jeremy Kyle on ITV(unless you already watch it):rolleyes::p:eek::D

garinda 20-02-2009 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 683426)
You can always switch to Jeremy Kyle on ITV(unless you already watch it):rolleyes::p:eek::D

Watch it?

I'm waiting to go on it, and find out who my goldfish's daddy is.

cashman 21-02-2009 00:02

interesting to note the councillors on here seem happy to have this added, will be very interesting to see if proposed it sees the light of day, says cashys cynical side.;)

jaysay 21-02-2009 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 683429)
interesting to note the councillors on here seem happy to have this added, will be very interesting to see if proposed it sees the light of day, says cashys cynical side.;)

Cashy, cynical, didn't know that was in your vocabulary mate:D:rolleyes:

jaysay 21-02-2009 09:03

Don't know whether full council on line would be a good idea or not. In the old days of the Committee system, the committee's were very interesting as a spectator and full council was a bore to me, as it was just a rubber stamping job. However I haven't been to a meeting since the Cabinet system came in, whether full council is now more interesting I wouldn't know, but if anybody is interested in seeing how the council does work I can recommend a visit, maybe Planning still has some of the old values and its by far one of the most interesting parts of local legislation

shillelagh 21-02-2009 22:31

I wouldnt bother Jaysay ... i was used to the old committee system as well used to enjoy some of the rossendale council meetings i used to go to. Just before christmas i went to a council meeting ... in fact it was a planning one .. and to me theyre terrible not like the old committee style meetings i was used to ... and i aint relishing going to the next one im going to next thursday either.

andrewb 30-03-2010 12:57

Has there been any progress from any of the parties on this? It's not like it's costly or hard to implement.

andrewb 30-03-2010 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801785)
Has there been any progress from any of the parties on this? It's not like it's costly or hard to implement.

Twitter / Stuart Pike: #HBC Clare Pritchard asks ...

"Clare Pritchard asks if meetings could be filmed on web cam."

The wonders of mobile internet technology for checking Accyweb in the council chamber, or just a massive coincidence? :D

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 17:25

I had the pleasure of watching that question asked during Leader's Question Time from the public gallery as it was something I had brought up with Clare. At the mention of my name, Cllr Britcliffe gave an 'interesting' reaction so it's nice to know that my reputation preceded me.

The question wasn't actually answered in any definite way but if council meetings ever are webcast they will make gripping viewing. The cost would be ridiculously small so there really isn't a concrete excuse why not.

It was a jolly fun afternoon out, must do it again sometime.

loweiy 30-03-2010 19:06

I think its a fantastic idea to film the meetings on a web cam, open and honest thats how all council meeting should be. Is someone going to start a petition?

pipinfort 30-03-2010 19:08

I`m not but i`d sign one...................:rolleyes:

garinda 30-03-2010 19:59

I'm not sure my aesthetic sensibilities could take the battering.

Perhaps I'll just tune in to the audio, and gaze at my H.B.C. calendar, whilst listening in.

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 801921)
I'm not sure my aesthetic sensibilities could take the battering.

Perhaps I'll just tune in to the audio, and gaze at my H.B.C. calendar, whilst listening in.

You've still got yours, then? Mine went in the recycling bag as soon as it graced my doorstep.

Total waste of taxpayers' money, particularly when the splendid recycling calendar is not only of much higher quality but more informative and runs for two years.

Ken Moss 30-03-2010 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801791)

The wonders of mobile internet technology for checking Accyweb in the council chamber, or just a massive coincidence? :D

If you've never been to the public gallery, I'd advise you to go next time there's a full council meeting. It's a real eye-opener.

I wonder if you'll be as staunchly true blue afterwards.

andrewb 30-03-2010 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801933)
If you've never been to the public gallery, I'd advise you to go next time there's a full council meeting. It's a real eye-opener.

I've been before. If I'd have been dressed I'd have gone today. It's a shame I didn't go and get to meet you.

What was the reply then? I think somebody who supports it should just take a webcam. :D

cashman 30-03-2010 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801933)

Dont wonder that Ken! ya can't put sense where there is none.:D

garinda 30-03-2010 23:51

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801925)
You've still got yours, then?

Still got them?

Of course. They're collector's items, especially the first edition, with twelve glorious, full colour pictures of Il Duce. Which I have kept in pristine condition, because it's been laminated, and is now easily wiped clean.

Though my own favourite is the one I thought was my 'Toby Jug Collectors Monthly', when it first landed on my mat.

garinda 30-03-2010 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801925)
Total waste of taxpayers' money, particularly when the splendid recycling calendar is not only of much higher quality but more informative and runs for two years.

I happen to agree, and it's mentioned in this thread, which sadly grows longe and longer each year, with the arrival of the next installment of the calendar.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...hly-18823.html

accyman 31-03-2010 05:09

call me cynical but whats teh point all that would happen is that once they knew they were on camera been watched all the things they dont want us to know or think we wont like will be discussed in teh corridoors out of camera shot before or after the meeting.

a bit like parliament if you will :rolleyes:

edit:

besides if they manage to blow thousands of our pounds on a website that never worked properly how much of our money do you think they would waste setting a poxy webcam up

Ken Moss 31-03-2010 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801950)
I've been before. If I'd have been dressed I'd have gone today. It's a shame I didn't go and get to meet you.

What was the reply then? I think somebody who supports it should just take a webcam. :D

I've just been given a preliminary figure and it's more than I thought but in line with what every other council in the North West pays. There are much, much cheaper ways of recording council sessions and it's something I'm going to pursue.

The answer was along the lines of 'Maybe council meetings should be webcast so that the public can see the antics of the opposition' and then he sat down. Those are not Cllr Britcliffe's words verbatim but (and I'm open to correction) I don't recall a direct 'yes' or 'no' or even 'we can look into it'.

Most of yesterday's session revolved around cheap political jibes and I was surprised at the Council Leader's behaviour, to be honest. Even the presentation by Cllr Marlene Haworth on the refurbishment of Accrington Market Hall descended into petty political point-scoring. It was concise and well-presented, picture boards showed clearly what was being done and questions from the opposition were given straight answers but Cllr Britcliffe undermined the whole thing by summing up with an attack on the opposition.

He also brought up that Labour had allowed the tax office to close in Accrington while 'certain people were peeping on about private banks'. I will remember those ill-chosen words, particularly in view of the fact that he personally endorsed our little campaign to save the Rishton branch of HSBC by making an eleventh hour appearance on The Bee.

Ken Moss 31-03-2010 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 801972)
call me cynical but whats teh point all that would happen is that once they knew they were on camera been watched all the things they dont want us to know or think we wont like will be discussed in teh corridoors out of camera shot before or after the meeting.

a bit like parliament if you will :rolleyes:

edit:

besides if they manage to blow thousands of our pounds on a website that never worked properly how much of our money do you think they would waste setting a poxy webcam up

If yesterday is anything to go by, it may calm proceedings down and focus the debates somewhat.

More public awareness is required and if people can get their facts straight from the horse's mouth rather than filtered through the media then they will be able to make more informed decisions come election times.

The reporters in Hyndburn seem to be respectable and respectful but there's still no substitute for hearing your councillors speak directly.

andrewb 31-03-2010 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801977)
I've just been given a preliminary figure and it's more than I thought but in line with what every other council in the North West pays. There are much, much cheaper ways of recording council sessions and it's something I'm going to pursue.

The answer was along the lines of 'Maybe council meetings should be webcast so that the public can see the antics of the opposition' and then he sat down. Those are not Cllr Britcliffe's words verbatim but (and I'm open to correction) I don't recall a direct 'yes' or 'no' or even 'we can look into it'.

Most of yesterday's session revolved around cheap political jibes and I was surprised at the Council Leader's behaviour, to be honest. Even the presentation by Cllr Marlene Haworth on the refurbishment of Accrington Market Hall descended into petty political point-scoring. It was concise and well-presented, picture boards showed clearly what was being done and questions from the opposition were given straight answers but Cllr Britcliffe undermined the whole thing by summing up with an attack on the opposition.

He also brought up that Labour had allowed the tax office to close in Accrington while 'certain people were peeping on about private banks'. I will remember those ill-chosen words, particularly in view of the fact that he personally endorsed our little campaign to save the Rishton branch of HSBC by making an eleventh hour appearance on The Bee.

Must say when I've been they've both been just as bad as each other. Is there wifi in the building? I know other councils all use some set system.. but it's quite easy to do it relatively cheaply if the council just do it themselves. You can use things like Qik | Record and share video live from your mobile phone, you'd just need a decent camera and a connection to the internet.

Edit: Err actually I dunno if Qik is just for mobiles, but there are plenty of free streaming sites like http://www.ustream.tv/ was my point.

andrewb 31-03-2010 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802007)
Must say when I've been they've both been just as bad as each other.

Perhaps now Graham is a PPC he has calmed down a bit. He hasn't called me a pillock in a while.. :D

garinda 31-03-2010 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802013)
Perhaps now Graham is a PPC he has calmed down a bit. He hasn't called me a pillock in a while.. :D

Perhaps he feels there's no need, and the informaton's eventually sunk in.

;)

garinda 31-03-2010 11:58

It will be interesting to see if the person who vilely labeled Graham Jone's newly born baby daughter 'the spawn of Satan', would be quite as vocal, if council meetings are broadcast live.

Perhaps someone as loathsome as that, would still be as viciously crass, but instead they'd just do it off cam.

loweiy 31-03-2010 14:43

does anyone know the time and date of the next meeting open to the public?

andrewb 31-03-2010 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by loweiy (Post 802073)
does anyone know the time and date of the next meeting open to the public?

The next full council is not until the 18th May after the elections..

There might be area councils near you before then, have a look at http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/site/sc...0&pageNumber=1

g jones 31-03-2010 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802074)
The next full council is not until the 18th May after the elections..

There might be area councils near you before then, have a look at Council Meetings, Minutes and Agendas - Hyndburn Borough Council Meetings, Minutes and Agendas

That is not the date if The Tories lose power. There will need to be a fresh look at what an incoming Council would want to do.

jaysay 31-03-2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 802079)
That is not the date if The Tories lose power. There will need to be a fresh look at what an incoming Council would want to do.

The meeting will be on the 18th of May then:D

Less 01-04-2010 07:35

Quote:

Don't tell anyone, but a large migratory bird, told me a certain authority has approached him with a similar idea, he might not take the job on because he hasn't got a technical mod' to look after such a section & he may have to refuse because of other work commitments.
:(

garinda 01-04-2010 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802238)
Don't tell anyone, but a large migratory bird, told me a certain authority has approached him with a similar idea, he might not take the job on because he hasn't got a technical mod' to look after such a section & he may have to refuse because of other work commitments.

Wouldn't that certain authority have in their employ media technologists, who already run their websites etc, and who could facilitate the broadcasts for the bird's forum?

:confused:

Less 01-04-2010 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802241)
Wouldn't that certain authority have in their employ media technologists, who already run their websites etc, and who could facilitate the broadcasts for the bird's forum?

:confused:

Can only tell you what he told me, am seeing him later today, no doubt further details will be forthcoming, watch this space...

:)

garinda 01-04-2010 07:59

If Accy Web does become involved with the broadcasts from council chambers, even though I'm retired, I would be very willing to help the performers with styling tips, and advice on costumes, in order to achieve the most flattering coverage possible.

References can be supplied, as to the quality of my work, from American Presidents, various Royal Houses, and political heavyweights such as Mike Tyson and David Beckham.

Neil 01-04-2010 12:02

All the posts about hyndburnlife have been moved to one of the more recent hyndburnlife threads. Please can we discuss that in the thread below and leave this thread for the webcast topic?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-it-51360.html

garinda 01-04-2010 12:44

Besides tuning in for the novelty value, the first time it happens, will anyone regularly tune in to watch?

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 12:55

Possibly not at 1.00pm, it clashes with Doctors.

However, a more sensible slot of 6.00pm might get better viewing figures and a digital archive which could be accessed when convenient would be the best option.

Film recording is probably much easier and cheaper and since that's my line of work I'll do you all a special deal - £200 per session to film, edit to format and upload online.

How does that grab you?

garinda 01-04-2010 13:10

For £200 quid a pop, people would only think it was good value if it featured full frontal nudity.

:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

andrewb 01-04-2010 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 802353)
Possibly not at 1.00pm, it clashes with Doctors.

However, a more sensible slot of 6.00pm might get better viewing figures and a digital archive which could be accessed when convenient would be the best option.

Film recording is probably much easier and cheaper and since that's my line of work I'll do you all a special deal - £200 per session to film, edit to format and upload online.

How does that grab you?

It's past 12pm! :D

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802356)
For £200 quid a pop, people would only think it was good value if it featured full frontal nudity.

Two days work including overheads. Best I can do, guv.

That's a damn sight cheaper than the preliminary webcam quote, let me tell you!

andrewb 01-04-2010 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 802361)
Two days work including overheads. Best I can do, guv.

That's a damn sight cheaper than the preliminary webcam quote, let me tell you!

What's the quote?

I'd do it for free if I was home in Accrington more often. Once setup I'm sure if the councillors put their heads together they could press the on button. :D

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 13:20

It's a difficult situation, because whoever quotes for this will automatically stick a few hundred on since it's for the council.

There must be a cheap way of doing it. Less, Neil, Mick??

Neil 01-04-2010 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 802356)

I take it you have not met many of our Councillors :rolleyes::D

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802362)
What's the quote?

I'd do it for free if I was home in Accrington more often. Once setup I'm sure if the councillors put their heads together they could press the on button. :D

Let's just say it's enough to make you wonder if there's a cheaper way.

andrewb 01-04-2010 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 802365)
Let's just say it's enough to make you wonder if there's a cheaper way.

Good quality webcam + laptop + wifi.

It's a council, I'm sure they have a load of spare computers/laptops hanging around. The place should have wifi by now? The main offices are only next door. The only real cost would be a one-off webcam purchase.

garinda 01-04-2010 13:31

If third world countries can arrange for the rest of the planet to watch their people jigging about, it really shouldn't be that difficult to make it happen.

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 802366)
Good quality webcam + laptop + wifi.

It's a council, I'm sure they have a load of spare computers/laptops hanging around. The place should have wifi by now? The main offices are only next door. The only real cost would be a one-off webcam purchase.

In principle, that's all you're looking at. With the way the council chamber is laid out you would ideally want three cameras and someone to work it all as 'vision mixer' plus a decent hard drive to record the live feed to but beyond that I don't know.

I'm sure there are experts out there who can tell us. I need to look into it.

andrewb 01-04-2010 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 802369)
In principle, that's all you're looking at. With the way the council chamber is laid out you would ideally want three cameras and someone to work it all as 'vision mixer' plus a decent hard drive to record the live feed to but beyond that I don't know.

I'm sure there are experts out there who can tell us. I need to look into it.

You could do that.. but I think it's perfectly acceptable to just have one camera showing the room. The main thing is the audio, rather than having the right angle to watch pinocchio's nose grow. ;)

shillelagh 01-04-2010 14:55

heres the twitter feed from stuart pike .. its on accy observers website ..

Hyndburn Council meeting - as it happened - Accrington Observer

stuartpike78: #HBC First dinner time regular full council meeting i can recall in Accy.
stuartpike78: #HBC Will it be a full house? Some councillors have day jobs

stuartpike78: #HBC 3 apologies for absence. 1 each for Con, Lab and Ind.

stuartpike78: #HBC Cllr Collingridge asks why meeting moved to 1pm at expense of the working man?

stuartpike78: #HBC Leader says meeting brought forward due to daughter's Performing Arts GCSE.

just a pick from the twitter feed ..

cashman 01-04-2010 15:05

well that was bad enough jen, who wants a ruddy webcam.:rolleyes:

Ken Moss 01-04-2010 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 802416)
well that was bad enough jen, who wants a ruddy webcam.:rolleyes:

Two hours of pure gold, I certainly would.

garinda 01-04-2010 15:11

Will it just be available for residents over the age of 18, so any rude and offensive language won't offend young and delicate ears?

No action over leader's 'silly cow' jibe - Accrington Observer

cashman 01-04-2010 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 802423)
Two hours of pure gold, I certainly would.

To each his own ken, would rather watch the traffic lights change meself.:D

garinda 01-04-2010 19:49

It'll be just like Big Brother.

Though evictions will happen every few years, rather than on each Friday.

'Day 14,678 in the Big Democracy House....'

Less 01-04-2010 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...s/viewpost.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 802238)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...its-52552.html

I saw this and thought, "Gosh, thank's grannyClaret, 1st of April already?"

garinda 25-11-2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarePritchard (Post 683356)
Good idea, you could use it as a cure from insomnia !!!!!!!!!!

How's the plan going for this?

Would be interesting for the public to see democracy in action.

Who voted for what resolutions and such.

jaysay 25-11-2011 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 951601)
How's the plan going for this?

Would be interesting for the public to see democracy in action.

Who voted for what resolutions and such.

I'm sure the Kashmiri's would have loved to have seen democracy in progress Rindi;)

andrewb 25-11-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 680600)
I don't really see why not. Lancashire County Council I believe do something on these lines. I don't know what the costs would be, and it wouldn't be the most riveting two hours viewing, but why not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 683372)
And sticking to the thread... YES they should be live on the internet. If enough people feel strongly about it, I will move a motion at Council for it to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 683396)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 801791)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 801862)

The question wasn't actually answered in any definite way but if council meetings ever are webcast they will make gripping viewing. The cost would be ridiculously small so there really isn't a concrete excuse why not.

We're all in agreement then. When's the next Council meeting?

garinda 25-11-2011 19:02

Lights!

Camera!

Action!

Cue vote condemning violent atrocities carried out by Indians in Kashmir.

cashman 25-11-2011 19:07

Yeh funny cyfr aint mentioned that rindy,especially wi P.B. being proud to support it.:D

jaysay 25-11-2011 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 951742)
Lights!

Camera!

Action!

Cue vote condemning violent atrocities carried out by Indians in Kashmir.

But we'll switch the camera off when it comes to the vote:D

garinda 25-11-2011 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 951745)
But we'll switch the camera off when it comes to the vote:D

Sod's bloody law.

The only council meeting I was invited to attend by two councillors.

They wouldn't have switched me off, if I'd been well enough to get there, when it came to the vote.

I'd have noted every single name, before lobbing my shoe sat 'em in protest.

jaysay 26-11-2011 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 951752)
Sod's bloody law.

The only council meeting I was invited to attend by two councillors.

They wouldn't have switched me off, if I'd been well enough to get there, when it came to the vote.

I'd have noted every single name, before lobbing my shoe sat 'em in protest.

They might just have gone into camera Rindi when the vote was being taken, and you would have been asked to leave the chamber:rolleyes:

cashman 26-11-2011 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 951869)
They might just have gone into camera Rindi when the vote was being taken, and you would have been asked to leave the chamber:rolleyes:

So are yeh saying,if they choose,they can vote on our behalf n we can't witness it? that sounds very democratic.:rolleyes:

jaysay 26-11-2011 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 951875)
So are yeh saying,if they choose,they can vote on our behalf n we can't witness it? that sounds very democratic.:rolleyes:

In some cases yes cashy, whether they could do it on an issue like that I'm not sure, but in the days when I was keen and I attended council meetings there were items on the agenda which excluded the public, usually to do with financial matters, cover by pink sheets in the agenda

garinda 05-03-2012 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 951627)
I'm sure the Kashmiri's would have loved to have seen democracy in progress Rindi;)

Apparently costings were done by Hyndburn Borough Council, regarding live cam streaming, according to this. (Approx 1 minute in, on second part.)

Though it doesn't say what those costs were.

Interview with Councillor Ken Moss

gynn 05-03-2012 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 975185)
Apparently costings were done by Hyndburn Borough Council, regarding live cam streaming, according to this. (Approx 1 minute in, on second part.)

Though it doesn't say what those costs were.

I think the cost answer is a red herring. The cost would be paying a member of staff a few hours overtime, plus the cost of a decent camera, which these days isn't expensive.

We aren't looking for something to be nominated in the category of best documentary at the Academy Awards. Just someone who can point the camera at whoever is speaking.

Fylde BC have been doing it for years. The only negative is that it makes the meetings look so mind-numbingly boring. And as the old saying goes, the camera cannot lie! Take it from one who knows!

;)

jaysay 05-03-2012 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 975205)
I think the cost answer is a red herring. The cost would be paying a member of staff a few hours overtime, plus the cost of a decent camera, which these days isn't expensive.

We aren't looking for something to be nominated in the category of best documentary at the Academy Awards. Just someone who can point the camera at whoever is speaking.

Fylde BC have been doing it for years. The only negative is that it makes the meetings look so mind-numbingly boring. And as the old saying goes, the camera cannot lie! Take it from one who knows!

;)

Well at least I can agree with Cllr Moss on one thing council meetings are mind numbingly boring, that is for sure;)sitting in front of a computer screen watching a council meeting isn't ever going to hit the heights is it.

gynn 05-03-2012 10:14

I remember one Chief Officer (long since retired) who used to take the Committee through EVERY report word by word, even though they had received the reports days before. He would stop at the end of each sentence with words of explanation. His philosophy (which he never admitted to) was to grind everyone down to such a degree of boredom that they would agree anything at the end of it, just to get away.

The standing order that all meetings had to finish by 10pm was a godsend, otherwise they would have gone on until the wee small hours.

I now see my retirement pension as payback time for all those hours over many years spent in total, utter and complete boredom!

garinda 05-03-2012 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 975236)
I now see my retirement pension as payback time for all those hours over many years spent in total, utter and complete boredom!

...and yet you were suprised that there were no members of the public at the recent overview and scrutiny committee meeting regarding budgets.

gynn 05-03-2012 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 975252)
...and yet you were suprised that there were no members of the public at the recent overview and scrutiny committee meeting regarding budgets.

Things have changed a bit since my day. In all the years I was there, we never had anything like the cuts that the Council has to impose this year, and the only thing to look forward to at budget time was how much George Slynn would find for his latest pet schemes.

Nowadays, there are wholesale redundancies and service cuts which SHOULD be of concern.

garinda 05-03-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 975265)
Things have changed a bit since my day. In all the years I was there, we never had anything like the cuts that the Council has to impose this year, and the only thing to look forward to at budget time was how much George Slynn would find for his latest pet schemes.

Nowadays, there are wholesale redundancies and service cuts which SHOULD be of concern.

I've little doubt that people ARE concerned about the cuts.

However, passively witnessing the overview and scrutiny committee mull over the various proposals put forward by the parties involved, might be seen as a rather passive waste of time.

Seeing as their presence will make not one iota of difference to proceedings.

Perhaps members of the public would prefer to use their time more usefully, whilst still having a keen interest in budget cuts, by gathering any relevant information from other sources.

garinda 05-03-2012 12:39

Besides, I'm not too sure if it was a morning, or evening meeting, but I believe some people in Hyndburn have to actually work for a living, at both those times.

Making it difficult to attend, as well as their attendance having no impact on the discussion.

Acrylic-bob 05-03-2012 12:49

Are we all sure that this is such a good idea? Remember what happened to Hyndburn Lite and what that cost. We all know that whatever the council does ends up costing much more than they originally envisaged and more than somebody else can do the same job for.

Acrylic-bob 05-03-2012 12:55

Plus...don't we run the risk of certain councillors turning into more of a prima-donna than they already are?

The reason that Prime Minister's Questions is such a pantomime now, is purely down to the presence of cameras.

garinda 05-03-2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975273)
Are we all sure that this is such a good idea? Remember what happened to Hyndburn Lite and what that cost. We all know that whatever the council does ends up costing much more than they originally envisaged and more than somebody else can do the same job for.

You mean like when Hyndburn B.C. were given £591,000,00, to set up a community website, to rival Accy Web?

Costly website a ?desperate failure? | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

I'm sure they could make another half million pounds in cuts, in order to have a stab, and fund this.

garinda 05-03-2012 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 975277)
Plus...don't we run the risk of certain councillors turning into more of a prima-donna than they already are?

The reason that Prime Minister's Questions is such a pantomime now, is purely down to the presence of cameras.

To make sure it's a crowd puller they could bring in guest stars.

Who could then keep our own prima-donnas under control

The pixie who was inside R2-D2, Corrie's Martin Plat, that celebrity chef chap, Dildo something or other, the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.

Perhaps even a big Hollywood star!

Well we are now a big player of the world stage.

;)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...p2rB9E50sgHGeQ