Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2009, 07:38   #31
God Member

Re: 45p Tax on high earners

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You're quite right, there are many legal ways of avoiding the taxes that most other people have to pay, who don't have the resources to find those loopholes.

New whistleblower claims over £1bn Barclays tax deals | Business | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman, said of the ruling: "This is a sad day for democracy. British taxpayers are being asked to underwrite Barclays' loans. I believe full disclosure of these documents, showing how Barclays use tax havens for tax avoidance, would be in the public interest. Banks use the finest legal brains money can buy to avoid tax, but HM Revenue & Customs is underpaid and overstretched, so it is far from a level playing field."
err, Barclays hasn't yet asked for any money. It explored the deal so it could see if it was in shareholders best interest.

So Barclays employs better financial wizz's than the treasury. that sounds like good business sense to me(and not unheard of based on the fact that treasury wages are unlikely to be close to whats available in teh private sector in this sort of field).

So what you upset about. The fact that someone used the rules to their advantage? or was it simply a dig at Barclays for being successful again?

What is it about slagging off success? I've said it before, do you want to live in a country full of Losers? Would it make you feel better if all banks were financially ruined?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2009, 07:42   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You're quite right, there are many legal ways of avoiding the taxes that most other people have to pay, who don't have the resources to find those loopholes.

New whistleblower claims over £1bn Barclays tax deals | Business | guardian.co.uk
At the risk of going slightly off topic, that source of moral fibre, the Guardian, with their crusade on tax avoidance, do you know how much they pay themselves?
Old 25-03-2009, 08:00   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
err, Barclays hasn't yet asked for any money. It explored the deal so it could see if it was in shareholders best interest.

So Barclays employs better financial wizz's than the treasury. that sounds like good business sense to me(and not unheard of based on the fact that treasury wages are unlikely to be close to whats available in teh private sector in this sort of field).

So what you upset about. The fact that someone used the rules to their advantage? or was it simply a dig at Barclays for being successful again?

What is it about slagging off success? I've said it before, do you want to live in a country full of Losers? Would it make you feel better if all banks were financially ruined?
Er...I made no comment on the story, other than it is all perfectly legal. I'm certainly not 'up set', just providing an example of how creative accountancy can result in paying less tax.

I don't know if you read many newspapers, but the story has been in all of them recently, including the Times, and that great, factually accurate publication the Daily Telegraph.

The banker, his socialite wife and the billion pound tax question - Times Online

Can Barclays avoid being nationalised? - Telegraph

Perhaps you should read a more varied selection of available media, thus ensuring a more accurate picture, so you don't jump to the wrong conclusions.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 08:01   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
At the risk of going slightly off topic, that source of moral fibre, the Guardian, with their crusade on tax avoidance, do you know how much they pay themselves?
See post 33 for my answer to this.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 09:04   #35
Resting in Peace

Wish I was paying the highest rate of tax, I'd be a very happy bunny
Old 25-03-2009, 09:31   #36
JFT96

Bearing in mind that Richard 'Bloody' Branson employs lots of people in this country, Virgin Atlantic, Trains, Megastores, Holidays, Credit card, Bank. Maybe it would be rather silly to let him ****** off somewhere else, as he would take his companies with him, and of course make thousands of people unemployed.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..