Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Pot holes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/pot-holes-46059.html)

maxwell silver 08-03-2009 10:32

Pot holes

Is it Emma st.at the back off the sports centre?The road down there is a disgrace,more pot holes than Basra high street.I'd be up in arms if i was a resident.But its not in Ossy & tucked away behind the sports centre so lets not waste money on it eh PB?.Do residents on this street not pay their taxes?I often walk back this way to Church from Asda or Matalan & guarentee any car parked on this street is splashed with mud from the craters in the road.A disgrace.:mad:

flashy 08-03-2009 10:38

Re: Pot holes

Maxy, report it, me and entwisi did with the potholes in Bash and they did them the same day, like the bloke on the phone told me, if they dont know about them then they cant fix them...they are a really nice bunch at the highways agency, look on their website and fill in the report and they WILL get them done

jaysay 08-03-2009 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell silver (Post 690249)
Is it Emma st.at the back off the sports centre?The road down there is a disgrace,more pot holes than Basra high street.I'd be up in arms if i was a resident.But its not in Ossy & tucked away behind the sports centre so lets not waste money on it eh PB?.Do residents on this street not pay their taxes?I often walk back this way to Church from Asda or Matalan & guarentee any car parked on this street is splashed with mud from the craters in the road.A disgrace.:mad:

Sorry Maxwell on't blame PB, Nothing to do with HBC, totally LCC problem, rattle Joneses cage

SPUGGIE J 08-03-2009 10:46

Wish they were that helpful and quick to act up here. :( Hit that many when on my bike that I am lucky it aint wrecked as most cannot be avoided.

Wonder if Carla has been out at night digging em as she is getting good a digging holes. ;):rolleyes::D

flashy 08-03-2009 10:51

Maxy, fill this in and they will get back to you after they have done it

Fill In

SPUGGIE J 08-03-2009 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 690256)
Maxy, fill this in and they will get back to you after they have done it

Fill In

Now that is handy. Tried out of curiosity the Falkirk site and it is not as easy as the one here. Seems to be an external site and I cant get it to load. :confused:

katex 08-03-2009 11:24

Isn't this the street talked about in 'Expenses, Expenses' thread ?

Look around #200 at Claytonender's post, and AndrewB's former posts on this ... it is an unadopted road, and trying to get it sorted. Sure she will be around soon to explain.

Gayle 08-03-2009 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 690253)
Sorry Maxwell on't blame PB, Nothing to do with HBC, totally LCC problem, rattle Joneses cage

No point rattling Jones either, he's not a County Councillor - you could try Jean Battle though.

katex 08-03-2009 14:09

Could be a difficult one this Maxwell, if not impossible at the moment.

Highways - Adoption of Private Streets

Suppose if more people complain to the LCC .. may force them to fill in the holes, but the residents will only get billed for it.

carla d 08-03-2009 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J (Post 690254)
Wish they were that helpful and quick to act up here. :( Hit that many when on my bike that I am lucky it aint wrecked as most cannot be avoided.

Wonder if Carla has been out at night digging em as she is getting good a digging holes. ;):rolleyes::D

anything else you want me to dig??? maybe we could dig togeather seen as all you have done is have digs at me??? :D:rolleyes:

SPUGGIE J 08-03-2009 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla d (Post 690345)
anything else you want me to dig??? maybe we could dig togeather seen as all you have done is have digs at me??? :D:rolleyes:

How about digging up gardens for a veggie patch? :D

panther 08-03-2009 19:03

Iv noticed Ossy mills area has a few potholes too, wonder if they will re tarmac it when they have finished doing the 'upgrade'?

Oh and as for Emma st, well no comment especially at the bottom end, where the rd is a disgrace, have ya seen the state of the houses?, which is a shame for some because some are quite nice:(

cashman 08-03-2009 19:12

think Emma street is unadopted, not certain was told about 25 years ago when a relative lived on yon, but memory aint that great.:confused: just remembered Bernies sis lives on yon, has done fer ever, so she should know the reason.

Ossywarrior 08-03-2009 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell silver (Post 690249)

FYI the roads in ossy are ****e as well

flashy 08-03-2009 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossywarrior (Post 690430)

can just imagine you pointing your finger and shaking your head when you said that phil ;) *snigger*

Ossywarrior 08-03-2009 19:41

lol

are u watching me ? :D

flashy 08-03-2009 19:44

pmsfl

dya want me to? ;) (lol sorry)

Ossywarrior 08-03-2009 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 690444)
pmsfl

dya want me to? ;) (lol sorry)

well yes :D

but im in warrington at moment so u might strain your peepers :D

flashy 08-03-2009 19:49

i can use my binoculars lol, ok shush now or they'll be talking

Ossywarrior 08-03-2009 20:02

lol they must be good :D

let them talk :D hahaha

BERNADETTE 08-03-2009 20:06

It is an unadopted road, the residents have been told they have to all pay if they want it sorting. Personally I think it is a disgrace that they have to pay, they pay coucil tax like everybody else.

janey 08-03-2009 20:07

barnes st at church is getting holes in the road

emamum 08-03-2009 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 690458)
It is an unadopted road, the residents have been told they have to all pay if they want it sorting. Personally I think it is a disgrace that they have to pay, they pay coucil tax like everybody else.

my grandads street is like thatm each piece of road belongs to the house its in front of, the coucil wont do it because it doesnt belong to them and the people it does belong to dont want to pay either.

Neil 08-03-2009 20:38

Quote:

They must have known it was an un adopted road when they bought the house. I bet they got the house for a good price as well because of that road.

katex 08-03-2009 20:44

Quote:

When your sister moved in Bernie, she must have known that this was an unadopted road, and the price of her property would have reflected this.

Unfortunately, the part of her Council Tax which goes to the Highways does not just not cover her particular unadopted road i.e. Emma Street, but the privilege of driving on all the other tarmacked roads.

Point is, the residents own this road .. unlike the rest of us. How it is divided ... would have to look at the plans.

All residents would have to agree to the upkeep of this road to get it in a state for a proposal to the LCC to get it adopted. It is a bit like asking the NHS to pay towards the Policing services.

Although the best way is through their councillor i.e. Claytonender, she has to put a good reason forward for adoption e.g. if liable to flooding, etc., and creating a danger to all, and other council districts would argue that by spending money on this road, it would be taking money away from other spendings.

Hope your sister has got some sort of liability insurance here too, as if someone hurts themselves on one of her potholes, unfortunately, she would be liable.

Just seen Neil's post.

BERNADETTE 08-03-2009 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 690469)
They must have known it was an un adopted road when they bought the house. I bet they got the house for a good price as well because of that road.

She didn't actually buy the house, her husband was brought up in it and it was left to him when his parents died. I can see where you are all coming from that the residents need to pay for it to be sorted but like everything else not all will agree.

katex 08-03-2009 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 690476)
She didn't actually buy the house, her husband was brought up in it and it was left to him when his parents died. I can see where you are all coming from that the residents need to pay for it to be sorted but like everything else not all will agree.

That's the problem Bernie .. have to get the agreement of all residents, and not all can afford to .. catch 22 ... :(

BERNADETTE 08-03-2009 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 690480)
That's the problem Bernie .. have to get the agreement of all residents, and not all can afford to .. catch 22 ... :(

Yep so it will just get worse:(

claytonender 08-03-2009 23:13

I have been in touch with the County Councillor for Accrington West (which is the County council division that Emma Street is in) - who is Doreen Pollitt to ask her to get me an estimate from the Highways department for bringing the road up to a standard for LCC to adopt the road.

As I am unsure what the future of Church and Milnshaw area council after May, (because of the review of Neighbourhood Management and Area Councils announced at the Cabinet meeting last Wednesday). I do not know if there will be any money available to try to fill some of the holes in - this year Church and Milnshaw area council have contributed towards some money towards a street in Milnshaw Ward.

Incidentally the street that Graham Jones lives in is also an unadopted road.

steeljack 08-03-2009 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 690469)

just curious ...Does that mean that the Council/County Council also have no obligation to provide street lighting for something they don't have any responsibility for , maybe an extra electric bill every month will wake the residents up ......:confused: :confused:

garinda 08-03-2009 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 690525)
just curious ...Does that mean that the Council/County Council also have no obligation to provide street lighting for something they don't have any responsibility for , maybe an extra electric bill every month will wake the residents up ......:confused: :confused:

I live on an unadopted road too.

We do have two street lights, but the nice old fashioned ones, not the horrible tall ones that bathe everything in a tantastic orange glow.

They are electric though. We don't have a little man coming round in the evening to light the gas mantles.:D

Neil 09-03-2009 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonender (Post 690519)
I have been in touch with the County Councillor for Accrington West (which is the County council division that Emma Street is in) - who is Doreen Pollitt to ask her to get me an estimate from the Highways department for bringing the road up to a standard for LCC to adopt the road.

It would be interesting to know how many unadopted roads on streets like that we have in Hyndburn and what the cost to sort them out would be. I think LCC should sort this issue out.

These roads should be sorted by LCC and not by HBC money.

Out of interest who looks after foot paths LCC or HBC?

I think the roads in Hyndburn are very bad at the moment. After reading Graham's reply to my question in another thread I was wondering who's fault it is. Is it LCC's because they are responsible for roads or are we going to blame HBC because they were responsible for them for a while?

Many of our roads appear to have worn out road marking as well. I don't see how they can enforce parking restrictions along Blackburn road, for example, when many of the yellow lines look like they have been removed they are that worn.

flashy 09-03-2009 07:28

if the road is unadopted does that mean there is no ground rent to pay to anyone?

i know not all privately owned homes have to pay it, was just curious

i know what i mean in mi head:D

Neil 09-03-2009 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 690563)
if the road is unadopted does that mean there is no ground rent to pay to anyone?

Ground rent depends if your house is on lease hold or free hold land. If on lease hold you don't own the land the house is on and pay ground rent, usually only a few pounds a year. I think they collect mine every 3 years and it was something like £12 for the 3 years.

flashy 09-03-2009 07:43

i knew all that Neil, my sis pays ground rent, i was asking if the land is unadopted then you wont have to pay anything to anyone

garinda 09-03-2009 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 690563)

You only pay ground rent on leasehold properties, not freehold, as far as I understand it. I had to pay it in London, where the majority of properties are leasehold, and I don't pay it now.

It does say on the deeds of my house I also own the road as well, but have to allow access across it, just in case I dig it up and build a water feature on the bit I own, I suppose. Though I would have made stepping stones, or have a little boat for my neighbours to get across it.:D

As for Neil's question about pavements, I think they are H.B.C.'s responsibility, and if they are, they're in as abad, if not worse state than the roads.

Neil 09-03-2009 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 690570)
It does say on the deeds of my house I also own the road as well, but have to allow access across it, just in case I dig it up and build a water feature on the bit I own, I suppose. Though I would have made stepping stones, or have a little boat for my neighbours to get across it.

So does that mean you are liable for someone being injured due to the poor state of the road in the same way LCC are?

garinda 09-03-2009 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 690573)
So does that mean you are liable for someone being injured due to the poor state of the road in the same way LCC are?

I don't know.

I suppose it does, just as you would be liable if a religious knocker slipped on your garden path.

:D

jaysay 09-03-2009 09:01

When I first got married in the 60s, I lived on Eagle Street, of New Lane, that street was unadopted and we were told then if we wanted to have it adopted it would cost each hose about £400 which was a lot of pennies in those days, think its still unadopted, but we did have a lamp so you could see where you were tripping on the way home from the Bull:rolleyes:

katex 09-03-2009 09:12

Problem with Emma Street too, is that it does not go anywhere, and not a main thoroughfare to hinder any flow of traffic, so their case may not be a good one. No benefit for anyone else to warrant spending LCC money on it.

cashman 09-03-2009 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 690592)
Problem with Emma Street too, is that it does not go anywhere, and not a main thoroughfare to hinder any flow of traffic, so their case may not be a good one. No benefit for anyone else to warrant spending LCC money on it.

it does go somewhere it goes to bernies sisters.:D i shall tell em both kate says ya live nowhere when next i see em.:D

katex 09-03-2009 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 690593)
it does go somewhere it goes to bernies sisters.:D i shall tell em both kate says ya live nowhere when next i see em.:D

You muck stirrer you ! :p:D

MargaretR 09-03-2009 09:28

When I lived up Belthorn the street was unadopted.
I mixed concrete and filled the holes in my section myself.
There are advantages - cars parked on it can be told to 'get off'.
Now that car parking on terraced streets is a severe problem, being always guaranteed a place near your front door is an asset.

cashman 09-03-2009 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 690598)
I mixed concrete and filled the holes in my section myself..

thats handy to know, will ya do my backyard?:D;)

jaysay 09-03-2009 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 690597)
You muck stirrer you ! :p:D

Stop giving im the ammo then kate, cuze cashy knows how to use it:D:D:rolleyes:

katex 09-03-2009 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 690601)
Stop giving im the ammo then kate, cuze cashy knows how to use it:D:D:rolleyes:

I know .. he is practically anorexic when feeding him with word ammunition.. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 690598)

There are advantages - cars parked on it can be told to 'get off'.
Now that car parking on terraced streets is a severe problem, being always guaranteed a place near your front door is an asset.

Don't think this is correct Margaret. Still has public right of way.

MargaretR 09-03-2009 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 690617)
Don't think this is correct Margaret. Still has public right of way.

Right of way still has to be provided but as long as other vehicles can pass the parked car, that is OK

maxwell silver 09-03-2009 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossywarrior (Post 690430)

FYI,i know.I'm up there everyday.

lindsay ormerod 09-03-2009 19:20

Road down to Accy cricket club is unadopted too and it's always developing new, larger and deeper potholes , plus has no lighting whatsoever. Hopefully if the plans to build houses down there come off the developers will have to make it good!:rolleyes:

jaysay 10-03-2009 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 690835)
Road down to Accy cricket club is unadopted too and it's always developing new, larger and deeper potholes , plus has no lighting whatsoever. Hopefully if the plans to build houses down there come off the developers will have to make it good!:rolleyes:

Which road do you mean lindsay, is it the one that leads from Burnley Road, can't remember the name, its just that a friend of mine used to live on there:confused:

katex 10-03-2009 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 690622)
Right of way still has to be provided but as long as other vehicles can pass the parked car, that is OK

Meant the parking issue Margaret ... don't think there is much you can do about it. After all, who is going to help you ? .. No ticket from the council, no towing away, no clamping, no resident's parking .. they will not be interested as not their responsibility.

lindsay ormerod 10-03-2009 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 690924)
Which road do you mean lindsay, is it the one that leads from Burnley Road, can't remember the name, its just that a friend of mine used to live on there:confused:

That's Whitewell Road, also unadopted, but the one I meant is a continuation of Thorneyholme Rd.

MargaretR 10-03-2009 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 691028)
Meant the parking issue Margaret ... don't think there is much you can do about it. After all, who is going to help you ? .. No ticket from the council, no towing away, no clamping, no resident's parking .. they will not be interested as not their responsibility.

Since they are on (your) private land, trespass laws apply.
If they are persistent offenders I imagine that you could legally apply your own clamps (after warning them that you would)

katex 10-03-2009 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 691050)
Since they are on (your) private land, trespass laws apply.
If they are persistent offenders I imagine that you could legally apply your own clamps (after warning them that you would)

But not classed as 'private land' .. there is a difference to unadopted road.

MargaretR 10-03-2009 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 691052)
But not classed as 'private land' .. there is a difference to unadopted road.

Private = unadopted
What are private roads?

katex 10-03-2009 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 691057)
Private = unadopted
What are private roads?

Like yer drive ... LOL.

jaysay 11-03-2009 09:42

I have a feeling that Unadopted roads couldn't happen today, don't think planning laws would allow it. Thanks for the info lindsey couldn't remember the name of that road for the life in me