Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   27 years in prison.. he lied and paid for it (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/27-years-in-prison-he-lied-and-paid-for-it-46261.html)

jooles 19-03-2009 04:54

27 years in prison.. he lied and paid for it

27 years in prison for a murder he didnt commit,, he is now a frail old man ..saved by his DNA will he get compensation? should he get it? he admitted to doing the crime, he was in prison and came forward but when he got to court he told them he was innocent and that he was a pathological liar... if he gets compensation should he be charged for telling lies and wasting police time. what about the real killer

Neil 19-03-2009 05:52

Re: 27 years in prison.. he lied and paid for it

If he admitted doing it and did not really do it then it is his own fault. No he should not be conpensated. I think 27 years inside is more than anyone would get for wasting Police time and lying in court.

Come to think of it, is it possible to get a sentance and actually spend 27 years in prison these days?

expat 19-03-2009 07:04

For admitting that he did it, he has left the real killer at large who most probably went on to commit more crimes who knows.
His fault. Bad Luck.

blazey 19-03-2009 08:21

I think this highlights that psychological screening of those committing heinous crimes is poor.

He committed a crime but if he IS a pathological liar I presume this can be medically confirmed and he, in my opinion, should escape further charge for purgery and whatever else people decide to throw at him.

I do think he should be somewhat compensated if he IS found to be a pathological liar, because its something he couldn't help doing and he shouldn't have slipped through the net, if such a compulsory screening net even exists. I'd like to think murderers are psychologically examined though because prison isn't necessary the best place for all murderers to be 'rehabilitated' and I see no point in wasting money on the wrong sort of correction.

garinda 19-03-2009 08:32

More evidence that we need a national D.N.A database, which would help weed out those who admit to crimes they didn't commit, and leave the sometimes dangerous guilty parties at liberty amongst us.

steeljack 19-03-2009 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 693857)
I'd like to think murderers are psychologically examined though because prison isn't necessary the best place for all murderers to be 'rehabilitated' and I see no point in wasting money on the wrong sort of correction.

Since prison is the only form of punishment presently allowed in the UK are you advocating the return of the rope to save money on those who prison will be a waste of time , Bravo blazey :D :D

jaysay 19-03-2009 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 693864)
More evidence that we need a national D.N.A database, which would help weed out those who admit to crimes they didn't commit, and leave the sometimes dangerous guilty parties at liberty amongst us.

That's always been a bone of contention ever since DNA came to the fore, but of course we have those who argue that taking every bodies DNA is against their civil liberties. I for one would have no objection with my DNA being on a data base, because I've always subscribed to the fact that its only those who do wrong who have things to hide.

blazey 19-03-2009 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 693867)
Since prison is the only form of punishment presently allowed in the UK are you advocating the return of the rope to save money on those who prison will be a waste of time , Bravo blazey :D :D

I said 'rehabilitation' and was referring to the use of secured mental institutes. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear, I know they just allow the crazy to roam freely in some countries. I forget this is an internationally used forum and some countries aren't quite at the same high standard of civilisation we have here in the UK.

jooles 19-03-2009 09:28

i think this also highlights the fact that we do get it wrong... and if capital punishment was in force here..... that man would have hung .. for being a liar!!!

churchman phil 19-03-2009 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 693872)
I forget this is an internationally used forum and some countries aren't quite at the same high standard of civilisation we have here in the UK.

I would certainly vote to bring back the rope. For those who commit murder against the indefensible (ie children and the elderly) and if you are caught bang to rights for any deliberate act of taking another persons life, then you should certainly lose yours.
I live in the UK.
Always have.
I am civilised.
I believe in justice.

churchman phil 19-03-2009 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jooles (Post 693889)
i think this also highlights the fact that we do get it wrong... and if capital punishment was in force here..... that man would have hung .. for being a liar!!!

Would he have told the lie if he thought he would be hung for the crime?

Neither you nor I can answer that so it doesn't come into the equation.

blazey 19-03-2009 09:53

The rope isn't justice, it was simply a means of sick entertainment under the guise of justice.

Justice shouldn't be the ability to do as bad an act as the person you are punishing, especially not using the law as the means of justification for it. It's an abuse of a system which is there to protect, not cause harm to humanity even if it has caused harm to others.

cashman 19-03-2009 10:02

nope he should not get a penny compensation, ya can gush all ya want about him being a pathological liar, it dont alter the fact, that through his lies, a killer has remained on the streets fer 27 yrs, great lets reward this clown.:rolleyes: i don't think so.:(

jaysay 19-03-2009 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 693917)
nope he should not get a penny compensation, ya can gush all ya want about him being a pathological liar, it don't alter the fact, that through his lies, a killer has remained on the streets fer 27 yrs, great lets reward this clown.:rolleyes: i don't think so.:(

I agree cashy, but you can bet your life that he'll be warded zillions of pounds, won for him by a bleeding heart human rites lawyer, from the chambers of "Nonce's Are Us":(

katex 19-03-2009 10:21

I understood he retracted his confession at some point ... not sure at what stage, but before the trial I think ?