Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2009, 04:54   #1

27 years in prison.. he lied and paid for it

27 years in prison for a murder he didnt commit,, he is now a frail old man ..saved by his DNA will he get compensation? should he get it? he admitted to doing the crime, he was in prison and came forward but when he got to court he told them he was innocent and that he was a pathological liar... if he gets compensation should he be charged for telling lies and wasting police time. what about the real killer
Old 19-03-2009, 05:52   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: 27 years in prison.. he lied and paid for it

If he admitted doing it and did not really do it then it is his own fault. No he should not be conpensated. I think 27 years inside is more than anyone would get for wasting Police time and lying in court.

Come to think of it, is it possible to get a sentance and actually spend 27 years in prison these days?
Old 19-03-2009, 07:04   #3

For admitting that he did it, he has left the real killer at large who most probably went on to commit more crimes who knows.
His fault. Bad Luck.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 08:21   #4
God Member

I think this highlights that psychological screening of those committing heinous crimes is poor.

He committed a crime but if he IS a pathological liar I presume this can be medically confirmed and he, in my opinion, should escape further charge for purgery and whatever else people decide to throw at him.

I do think he should be somewhat compensated if he IS found to be a pathological liar, because its something he couldn't help doing and he shouldn't have slipped through the net, if such a compulsory screening net even exists. I'd like to think murderers are psychologically examined though because prison isn't necessary the best place for all murderers to be 'rehabilitated' and I see no point in wasting money on the wrong sort of correction.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 08:32   #5
Give, give, give member

More evidence that we need a national D.N.A database, which would help weed out those who admit to crimes they didn't commit, and leave the sometimes dangerous guilty parties at liberty amongst us.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 08:42   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I'd like to think murderers are psychologically examined though because prison isn't necessary the best place for all murderers to be 'rehabilitated' and I see no point in wasting money on the wrong sort of correction.

Since prison is the only form of punishment presently allowed in the UK are you advocating the return of the rope to save money on those who prison will be a waste of time , Bravo blazey
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 08:50   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
More evidence that we need a national D.N.A database, which would help weed out those who admit to crimes they didn't commit, and leave the sometimes dangerous guilty parties at liberty amongst us.
That's always been a bone of contention ever since DNA came to the fore, but of course we have those who argue that taking every bodies DNA is against their civil liberties. I for one would have no objection with my DNA being on a data base, because I've always subscribed to the fact that its only those who do wrong who have things to hide.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:56   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Since prison is the only form of punishment presently allowed in the UK are you advocating the return of the rope to save money on those who prison will be a waste of time , Bravo blazey
I said 'rehabilitation' and was referring to the use of secured mental institutes. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear, I know they just allow the crazy to roam freely in some countries. I forget this is an internationally used forum and some countries aren't quite at the same high standard of civilisation we have here in the UK.
Old 19-03-2009, 09:28   #9

i think this also highlights the fact that we do get it wrong... and if capital punishment was in force here..... that man would have hung .. for being a liar!!!
Old 19-03-2009, 09:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I forget this is an internationally used forum and some countries aren't quite at the same high standard of civilisation we have here in the UK.
I would certainly vote to bring back the rope. For those who commit murder against the indefensible (ie children and the elderly) and if you are caught bang to rights for any deliberate act of taking another persons life, then you should certainly lose yours.
I live in the UK.
Always have.
I am civilised.
I believe in justice.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 09:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooles View Post
i think this also highlights the fact that we do get it wrong... and if capital punishment was in force here..... that man would have hung .. for being a liar!!!
Would he have told the lie if he thought he would be hung for the crime?

Neither you nor I can answer that so it doesn't come into the equation.

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 09:53   #12
God Member

The rope isn't justice, it was simply a means of sick entertainment under the guise of justice.

Justice shouldn't be the ability to do as bad an act as the person you are punishing, especially not using the law as the means of justification for it. It's an abuse of a system which is there to protect, not cause harm to humanity even if it has caused harm to others.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:02   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nope he should not get a penny compensation, ya can gush all ya want about him being a pathological liar, it dont alter the fact, that through his lies, a killer has remained on the streets fer 27 yrs, great lets reward this clown. i don't think so.
Old 19-03-2009, 10:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nope he should not get a penny compensation, ya can gush all ya want about him being a pathological liar, it don't alter the fact, that through his lies, a killer has remained on the streets fer 27 yrs, great lets reward this clown. i don't think so.
I agree cashy, but you can bet your life that he'll be warded zillions of pounds, won for him by a bleeding heart human rites lawyer, from the chambers of "Nonce's Are Us"
Old 19-03-2009, 10:21   #15
Resting in Peace

I understood he retracted his confession at some point ... not sure at what stage, but before the trial I think ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..