Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Councillor's sons jailed, victim says she'll sue (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/councillors-sons-jailed-victim-says-shell-sue-48601.html)

mani 01-08-2009 19:32

Councillor's sons jailed, victim says she'll sue

should the councillor step down now after refusing to condemn his sons insisting "this was out of character "?

Quote:

A TEENAGER who lost two front teeth in a violent attack by a councillor’s two sons has voiced her relief after they were both jailed.

Waqar Mohammed Younis, 20, and his younger brother Khawar, 17, were sentenced to a combined 16 months in custody after attacking Lianne Clayton and her boyfriend James Ryder last November.

But Lianne, 18, has now vowed to seek thousands of pounds worth of damages through a separate county court claim.

The brothers, of Nuttall Street, Accrington, admitted charges of actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm without intent at Burnley Crown Court.

Waqar Younis was sentenced to 12 months in a Young Offenders’ Institution and Khawar Younis received an eight-month Detention and Training Order, of which half is spent in custody. The pair canvassed for their father Mohammed before he was elected as county councillor for Accrington West last month.
Councillor's sons jailed, victim says she'll sue - News - The Asian News

accyman 01-08-2009 19:40

Re: Councillor's sons jailed, victim says she'll sue

Quote:

charges of actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm without intent at
you know its stupid noncense wording like this that gets thugs off lightley

if you swing to hit somone you fully intend to hurt or damage them,theres no WITHOUT intent about it:rolleyes:

of course teh concilor shoudl step down , how can he have his wards best interest at heart when his children thathe raised are gojng around smashing their teeth in

katex 01-08-2009 20:14

Can't really make my mind up about this ... sure that the councillor is a good man wanting to do the best for his constituents.

Problem is, this will crop up many times for him when he tries to make any type of moral or social decisions ... you know the sort of thing "well, you've no room to talk, with two sons as thugs and jailbirds". Sad, feel sorry for him. Sadder for the victim though.
Even the opposition would have a field day; naturally Peter Britcliffe will muster up support and not look at it logically .. :)

Lilly 01-08-2009 20:28

I don't necessarily think that he should stand down as I don't think parents should be punished for the crimes of their adult children.

However, I do think it was foolish of him to tell the papers he is proud of his sons.

Why would you say that in these circumstances? :confused:

A comment like that is bound to offend people.

I hope I am never in that position but if it was me I would be mortified and telling the papers how ashamed I was.

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2009 20:38

I don't believe the father should be held accountable for his adult sons.
We all know that you can try your best with your children and they will still sometimes do something that is bad......and it doesn't necessarily mean that you have not instilled the right values in your offspring...it is sometimes that they take more notice of the crowd that they mix with.

The young man that did this despicable act should be held responsible for his actions, not his father.

katex 01-08-2009 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 732661)

However, I do think it was foolish of him to tell the papers he is proud of his sons.

A comment like that is bound to offend people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 732662)

The young man that did this despicable act should be held responsible for his actions, not his father.

Good points .. but you still have to look at his credibility in a political situation, and how it will affect his work on the LCC, and how the voters will have confidence in his decisions due to this background of raising two violent sons; will always weaken his opinions. So, yes, he should resign as will make his job we have voted him into extremely difficult.

accyman 01-08-2009 21:23

i think the councilors getting off lightley by been asked to resign if thats whats been asked because can you imagine the fuss if it had been the other way around and a white counsilors kids had punched and kicked an asian girl to the ground smashing her teeth out:rolleyes:

Gayle 01-08-2009 21:25

I think this is a toughie - on the one hand, no one else is accountable for your actions except yourself, on the other, he is a Councillor and should be above reproach in all ways.

I think the honourable thing would be to stand down but I don't actually think he needs to.

So whatever he does is the right decision, but equally the wrong one too.

katex 01-08-2009 21:35

On Mani's original question .. "was out of character" ... don't quite believe this ... you know your children, however, they don't suddenly start beating the pooh out of someone do they 'all of a sudden' ??? Certainly his position is drastically compromised.

shillelagh 01-08-2009 21:47

I dont know .. first of all he shouldnt have said anything till after the court case .. mainly because of predjudicing the case, second should he have stood for council with that going on in the background .. because he knew if he got in and they were then convicted this would come up ... and if opinion gets strong enough he would have to resign and cause a by-election 2 months after he'd been elected.

accyman 01-08-2009 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 732667)
On Mani's original question .. "was out of character" ... don't quite believe this ... you know your children, however, they don't suddenly start beating the pooh out of someone do they 'all of a sudden' ??? Certainly his position is drastically compromised.

perhaps it was out of charecter for them to get caught?

people who behave like they did have usually done it before

cashman 01-08-2009 22:42

whilst parents should not be held accountable for the actions of grown up children, a "Councillor" in my book should be accountable fer comments to the media, so therefore he should Stand Down, simple as IMHO.

katex 01-08-2009 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 732683)
perhaps it was out of charecter for them to get caught?

people who behave like they did have usually done it before

Exactly what I was saying Accyman ... and then he had the cheek to say he was very proud of his sons !! Think any decent parent would have, at least, said that he was very ashamed of his sons' behaviour with regard to this dreadful attack on this young girl .. :(

katex 02-08-2009 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 732696)
Exactly what I was saying Accyman ... and then he had the cheek to say he was very proud of his sons !! Think any decent parent would have, at least, said that he was very ashamed of his sons' behaviour with regard to this dreadful attack on this young girl .. :(

Sorry Lilly ... you've already said this too .. didn't intend any plaigiarism.

cashman 02-08-2009 00:58

Nowt to do with politics here, but what the father said -" Im very proud of my sons and they are now moving on with their lives, education, and future," is a disgraceful statement, no sympathy was offered that i read, only "This was out of character," this man should not be representing the public as far as i'm concerned.:(