Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Should we negotiate with the Taliban? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/should-we-negotiate-with-the-taliban-48607.html)

Mancie 04-08-2009 09:44

Re: Should we negotiate with the Taliban?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 733224)
May have a point, my late Father always asked why he put his life on the line, now that the Germans are taking control of this country via the back door of the E. U.;)

keep off the Riesling Jaysay ..your usuall posts are more anti-muslim.. now it's the Germans.. ever thought of a job as a diplomat for your new Tory Government?

jaysay 04-08-2009 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 733230)
keep off the Riesling Jaysay ..your usuall posts are more anti-muslim.. now it's the Germans.. ever thought of a job as a diplomat for your new Tory Government?

I'll leave that to young Andrew, I'l just carry on poking you with a stick:D

steeljack 05-08-2009 05:43

never understood the British antipathy to the Germans , we are basically the same ethnic stock (Northern European, Danish/Saxon/Viking) we (Brits and Germans) used to have similar values , work ethic , family, abhorataion of corruption (political or fiscal), guess time have changed. :confused: :confused:

SPUGGIE J 05-08-2009 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 733576)
never understood the British antipathy to the Germans , we are basically the same ethnic stock (Northern European, Danish/Saxon/Viking) we (Brits and Germans) used to have similar values , work ethic , family, abhorataion of corruption (political or fiscal), guess time have changed. :confused: :confused:

Two World Wars and millions dead might have something to do with that. Polititions made the choice and millions on both sides died. WWI might have been down to alliances that dragged powers into a war that started as a local issue. WWII was thanks to a crazy man who wanted world domination that would have been on what he wanted and it being forced on others. Does this sound familiar? We tried with Hitler and look what it got us even though we tried to have a nice friendly chinwag with him. It could just as easily happen again with the Talliban . Appeasement may sound good but is a can of worms that once open cannot be closed.

The values are in a way the same its just that certain people with influence seem to make a pigs ear of it sometimes. There is nothing wrong with the way both cultures and others view what they achieve, and people understand other cultures better. Its the spread of the technology that we take for granted that has educated us into the lives passions beliefs etc of other nations.

To talk to the Talliban gives them in their (and my) view a victory. They will keep chipping away till they get what they want. The minority deciding whats best for the majority without general consensus is wrong regardless of creed, colour, religion, political persuation etc etc etc.

shakermaker 05-08-2009 06:38

Have you all forgotten Rudolf Hess?

mattylad 05-08-2009 07:50

Yes talk to the Taliban, get them al in a room to talk, excuse yourself to go to the loo then push a big red button that fires a captured Taliban bomb. :D

LYNX1 05-08-2009 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 733106)
It's the old strategy .. "Defeat the enemy; then talk to them".

Well said kate..........it's the only strategy left

Eric 06-08-2009 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 733582)
Have you all forgotten Rudolf Hess?

No, I haven't forgotten him .... but I really don't see the relevance:confused: Ok ... so he went to great lengths to talk to the enemy; but other than that I honestly can't see the link.

shakermaker 06-08-2009 01:50

That's really the extent of it, Eric. That and the fact that I was listening to Joy Division at the time of browsing this thread. I didn't think anyone would notice.

Should we negotiate with the Taliban? Well that depends what the UK's goal is. Does anyone know what that is?

Answers on a postcard :)

Eric 06-08-2009 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 733750)
That's really the extent of it, Eric. That and the fact that I was listening to Joy Division at the time of browsing this thread. I didn't think anyone would notice.

Should we negotiate with the Taliban? Well that depends what the UK's goal is. Does anyone know what that is?

Answers on a postcard :)

Something stamped: "Made in the USA?":rolleyes::D